E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > CC-ID 372 (Brake force lights)

02-05-2024, 07:21 AM   #1
Michaeljf24
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW e90 320D

CC-ID 372 (Brake force lights)

Hi all,

I have a 2007 e90 320d with the CC-ID 372 fault. I have searched the web, facebook groups and come to a bit of a dead end.

I have replaced the bulb, nothing.
I switched the left and right bulb holders and it was still showing the left side and I have now just checked to make sure there is no break in the wire as apparently that's common. There is continuity from the bulb holder to as far back as I can get to within the boot.

Does anyone have any ideas on what else I can check? I have an MOT coming up and guessing as there is a warning light on the dash it will be an MOT failure/advisory.

Thanks in advanced,
Michael
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2024, 02:21 PM   #2
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaeljf24 View Post
... 2007 e90 320d with the CC-ID 372 fault... I have replaced the bulb, nothing. I switched the left and right bulb holders and it was still showing the left side and I have now just checked to make sure there is no break in the wire as apparently that's common. There is continuity from the bulb holder to as far back as I can get to within the boot.Michael
Hi Michael,
Best approach is to "Electrically TEST" the Left Brake Force Wiring, to INCLUDE the Ground (got to get those pesky electrons BACK to the (-) Terminal of Battery ;-) See ISTA wiring diagrams, Component Locations, and Connector Views, attached to NEXT Post.

Let's start with the Wiring. ISTA wiring diagram shows "Line" BFD_L, Grey/Yellow wire, going from FRM Connector X14260/5 (Pin #5 of FRM Connector X14260) to Left Tail Light connector X319/2 (Pin #2). The "Location" shown is the lens on the fender, as opposed to the trunk lid. In US, BFD bulbs are on Trunk lid AFAIK. IF you have a Scan Tool or Diagnostic Software that can Activate/ Trigger the BFD bulbs, check to see which bulb on Right lights up, to make sure we're looking at correct socket/ location. X319 Connector view also shows Socket #2 which should be Grey/Yellow wire.

If you can think of a way to test that wire for voltage in "Fast-Stop" scenario, you're ahead of me. Riding in Trunk during panic stop is NOT recommended. That's what "Bulb Activation" in FRM Module, using INPA/ISTA is designed for: Test OUTPUT circuit from FRM to bulb in question.

Software SHOULD indicate it is activating bulb, and Right BFD bulb should light. IF Left BFD does NOT light, and there is no other Fault code related to FRM operation other than bulb fail, then there SHOULD be voltage at X14260/5 with BFD "Activated", but NO voltage at X319/2 if there is a Line Fault in Grey/Yellow wire. If BFD is on Trunk Lid instead of Fender on your model, that increases chance of line fault due to line-break at hinge plane due to repeated flex of wire opening/closing lid.

Some models (coupes & convertibles) had issues with bulb socket, so check to make sure bulb base contacts socket firmly (ground connection). Since the wiring diagram shows SAME Chassis Ground (Brown wire) for both Regular Brake light & BFD light, that suggests Brown Ground wire is NOT the fault if other brake light on Left lights.

If you have any Scan Tool or Diagnostic Software (INPA/ISTA), please provide Make/Model if any questions about its capability to Activate/Trigger BFD. That is most helpful for testing purposes. Please let us know what you find,
George
Appreciate 1
BRG_N54296.50
      02-05-2024, 02:23 PM   #3
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Attached are ISTA ScreenPrints related to 2007 320d, per prior post.
George
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
BRG_N54296.50
      02-06-2024, 02:02 PM   #4
Michaeljf24
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
Hi Michael,
Best approach is to "Electrically TEST" the Left Brake Force Wiring, to INCLUDE the Ground (got to get those pesky electrons BACK to the (-) Terminal of Battery ;-) See ISTA wiring diagrams, Component Locations, and Connector Views, attached to NEXT Post.

Let's start with the Wiring. ISTA wiring diagram shows "Line" BFD_L, Grey/Yellow wire, going from FRM Connector X14260/5 (Pin #5 of FRM Connector X14260) to Left Tail Light connector X319/2 (Pin #2). The "Location" shown is the lens on the fender, as opposed to the trunk lid. In US, BFD bulbs are on Trunk lid AFAIK. IF you have a Scan Tool or Diagnostic Software that can Activate/ Trigger the BFD bulbs, check to see which bulb on Right lights up, to make sure we're looking at correct socket/ location. X319 Connector view also shows Socket #2 which should be Grey/Yellow wire.

If you can think of a way to test that wire for voltage in "Fast-Stop" scenario, you're ahead of me. Riding in Trunk during panic stop is NOT recommended. That's what "Bulb Activation" in FRM Module, using INPA/ISTA is designed for: Test OUTPUT circuit from FRM to bulb in question.

Software SHOULD indicate it is activating bulb, and Right BFD bulb should light. IF Left BFD does NOT light, and there is no other Fault code related to FRM operation other than bulb fail, then there SHOULD be voltage at X14260/5 with BFD "Activated", but NO voltage at X319/2 if there is a Line Fault in Grey/Yellow wire. If BFD is on Trunk Lid instead of Fender on your model, that increases chance of line fault due to line-break at hinge plane due to repeated flex of wire opening/closing lid.

Some models (coupes & convertibles) had issues with bulb socket, so check to make sure bulb base contacts socket firmly (ground connection). Since the wiring diagram shows SAME Chassis Ground (Brown wire) for both Regular Brake light & BFD light, that suggests Brown Ground wire is NOT the fault if other brake light on Left lights.

If you have any Scan Tool or Diagnostic Software (INPA/ISTA), please provide Make/Model if any questions about its capability to Activate/Trigger BFD. That is most helpful for testing purposes. Please let us know what you find,
George
Hi George,
Thank you so much for that! I think I understand it, but will have a thorough check this weekend.

I have been told that the brake force light is actually the rear fog light? That does work and when I remove the bulb I get a fog light bulb error so part of me is thinking it's the module in the footwell, am I right to think that?

Thanks again,
Michael
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 06:52 PM   #5
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaeljf24 View Post
... I have been told that the brake force light is actually the rear fog light? That does work and when I remove the bulb I get a fog light bulb error so part of me is thinking it's the module in the footwell, am I right to think that?
Hi Michael,
Yes, it appears that when BFD (Brake Force Display) is activated for 15 seconds using ISTA, on my 3/2007 328xi E91, bulbs (bright) on both the fender lens, and the Tailgate lens LIGHT-UP on each side, along with the high-center LED Brake light. Referring back to ISTA, if one opens "Fog Light" wiring diagram, the Inner/ Trunk/ Tailgate lens bulb is shown. That is also used as Rear Fog in some (ECE?) markets apparently.

After posting yesterday, I ran ISTA "Triggering"/ Activation to observe BOTH bulbs on each side light-up. See ISTA ScreenPrints attached to NEXT Post (so as NOT to mess up margins here).

So as I NOW understand your situation, if you were to Activate/Trigger the Brake Force Bulbs, you would get both fender & lid bulbs on Right, ONLY Fender bulb on Left & Center LED Brake lights. The Left Lid light is NOT working in BFD, but it IS working as Rear Fog?

If those are the correct facts, then I would NOT immediately condemn the FRM. Rather, I would test/ examine the Green/Yellow wire that runs to X329/1, on the LEFT side of Trunk Lid. I'm NOT familiar with the E90 wiring looms at the trunk hinge plane, but the FIRST thing I would check, if NO Voltage at X329/1 with BFD Triggered, is broken Green/Yellow wire in left loom, particularly if this first happened in COLD weather.

If you were to DIS-connect the FRM X14260 Connector (same as previously described), and then test the Green/Yellow wire between the Socket at X14260/51 & X329/1, and find NO CONTINUITY between the two sockets, that confirms that the wire, NOT the Module, is faulty.
George
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 06:54 PM   #6
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Attached are ISTA ScreenPrints related to prior post.
George
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 04:41 AM   #7
Michaeljf24
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
So as I NOW understand your situation, if you were to Activate/Trigger the Brake Force Bulbs, you would get both fender & lid bulbs on Right, ONLY Fender bulb on Left & Center LED Brake lights. The Left Lid light is NOT working in BFD, but it IS working as Rear Fog?
Correct! Sorry I explained it poorly in my first post!
I am going to print the diagrams off you have sent and give it a thorough check this weekend.

Thank you for your help!
Appreciate 0