Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > OEM vs. Replicas: The True Difference

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

01-26-2008, 02:34 PM   #1
tones
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 335i E92

OEM vs. Replicas: The True Difference

I am looking to upgrade my wheels pretty soon here but I am torn between going with a set of used OEM's or a set of new replicas. My main concern is that the replicas will not be of the same quality as the OEM's.

I have purchased aftermarket wheels in the past (5Zigen, Konig) and have had some negative experiences, particularly with bending and cracking rims over time. Should I be expecting the same thing with Replica's? Or is there a good manufacturer out there who builds consistent quality (or better) than the OEM product.

I appreciate your thoughts/advice on this.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2008, 03:33 PM   #2
fullrev
2011 E92 M3
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

dont hit potholes and you'll be fine
      01-26-2008, 03:54 PM   #3
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

if you want high quality you are going to pay for it. If you want to save your pennies then buy replicas.

By the way, when I say high quality I don't mean OEM....i'm referring to BBS etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by tones View Post
I am looking to upgrade my wheels pretty soon here but I am torn between going with a set of used OEM's or a set of new replicas. My main concern is that the replicas will not be of the same quality as the OEM's.

I have purchased aftermarket wheels in the past (5Zigen, Konig) and have had some negative experiences, particularly with bending and cracking rims over time. Should I be expecting the same thing with Replica's? Or is there a good manufacturer out there who builds consistent quality (or better) than the OEM product.

I appreciate your thoughts/advice on this.

Thanks!
      01-26-2008, 04:11 PM   #4
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Any wheel is subjected to bend and cracks if you hit potholes and such. I havent heard too much about replica wheels cracking or bending under normal driving conditions.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2008, 04:27 PM   #5
tones
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 335i E92

Let me rephrase the question....

Have any of you had poor experiences with replica wheels? More specifically has anyone had damage caused to a replica wheel. My intention is not to aim for potholes, but unfortunately once in a while they are unavoidable, especially where I live. I am most concerned with the wheels bending or becooming mishaped as this would affect the steering/handling.

And to clarify, I am well aware that you what you pay for is what you get. If I wasn't I would be driving a Hyandai, not a BMW. I have no problem shelling out for quality product. My question is simply is there some repilca wheels which ARE quality product.

Thanks guys for your responses!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2008, 05:47 PM   #6
DrGP
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Sapphire 335i coupe

Basically, a replica wheel will not bend any easier than an OEM ass long as the alloys and wheel constuction are the same. When you buy a replica wheel, you are in essence, buying a clone. Looks like the original but cost less due to differences in the manufacturing process or due to the profit structure of the replicator. If they are made of similar alloys, they will bend or break similarly. It is a matter oF pure physics. Now some replicas of 2 and 3 piece wheels will actually be a one piece wheel that looks like a 2 or 3 piece wheel. The Moven BSr wheel that I run is a replica of a 2 piece Breyton Spirit wheel. I hardly believe that the 2 wheels will have the same physical properties. But I don't care. The replicas are cheap enough that if I do bend one, it won't break the bank to replace it. The same cannot always be said for the non replicas. BTW some of the replicas ARE high quality.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2008, 06:03 PM   #7
jhilsinho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335I 07

Post Replica

Many replicas are the same or better that brand names.

By the way, OEM, is only used to describe original equipment on a vehicle. Your description does not apply
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2008, 06:04 PM   #8
VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
In wheel manufacturing, people have many choices as to how the wheel is put together. Theres numerous factors that you have when comparing between OEM and Non-OEM wheels. To name a few, you've got materials, manufacturing, QC, sales, and customer service. All of these cost money, and depending on how much cost cutting and profit-hungry people are, it may or may not have an affect on the overal quality of the wheels. Also keep this in mind - the same factory can have an OEM manufacturing contract, produce great quality, and at the same time, make non-OEM at horrible quality.

Also keep this in mind... Many aftermarket wheels have larger diameter than OEM, and larger diameter have higher chance of getting damaged over the SAME roads.

You can search the many forums to see if people have had problems, and how the problems were/if addressed. Bottom line, just make sure you trust the brand and the shop that is representing the brand.
      01-26-2008, 07:20 PM   #9
ehhhwik
Brigadier General
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 09' BMW 335d, 07' BMW E92 328i

I am not sure if this helps to describe the quality of oem wheels, but my friend, who has a bmw 645i, and he drove over some really bad messed up roads in Vancouver during the wind/rain storm last yr, and bended all 4 of his OEM wheels...

Retired: 07' E92 328i (Jet Black)
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2008, 08:58 PM   #10
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

You simply have to beware of the brand you are purchasing. There are certainly cheaper replicas out there that do not undergo the same production standards as say Velocity Motoring's CSLs which are all JWL and VIA certified and produced in ISO9001 facilities. Those are the standards by which most wheel companies adhere to ensure quality and strength.

You are very wise to be skeptical of what brand you purchase from because wheels are a safety critical component- a failure jeopardizes your life and those around you. In short, research the brand you are purchasing and try to get experiences from other buyers.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 02:30 PM   #11
RM-6302
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
A few OEM wheels are manufactured by after-market wheel companies. For example BBS produces the Style 230 19" wheels for the e90/e92. Ronal, a fine German wheel manufacturer, produced the e36 17" "M" luxury wheel, the five spoke, I can't remember the style number. So OEM is in some cases after-market.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 04:32 PM   #12
tirana
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 6MT + F25 35i AT

Yup, BBS also supply the 197 style wheels for BMW (and probably many others). Never had any problem with my Beyern M5 reps, 17" - use them for my winters).
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2008, 12:38 PM   #13
E90330iS
Major General
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
What are some companies that have fine replica wheels?
      01-28-2008, 01:04 PM   #14
Pim
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW 118 d sporthatch

From my point of view the replica's are not all bad. Those companies have customers too and if they do sell crappy wheels the won't last long. For all i know is that if you buy the originals you pay a lot more because of the badge, that's for sure !!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2008, 01:10 PM   #15
Chowbow
pew pew
Rep
Drives: 三三五i

Garage List
I was worried about the same thing honestly... Not so much about bending as it happens with any wheel really. I'm just worried about sudden failure that will be a serious safety hazard... Although a lot of the wheels being produced even by the replica companies pass the standards, which gives some comfort. And I really haven't seen any horror stories of replicas disintegrating or splitting in half or anything.

I would happily pay out for the price of an OEM wheel given correct fitment etc. But usually that just doesn't happen and I have to go to a replica wheel to get the fitment I want. I am most likely going with some gunmetal CSL reps and as they bend (and I'm pretty sure they will over time, just about every wheel does, especially w/ low profile tires), I'll just replace them since they're pretty cheap.
      01-28-2008, 08:38 PM   #16
cycler
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Streetglide and 2011 Dyna

I put on Beyern mesh wheels on. So far Ive hit a few bumps and 2 potholes and they are holding up really nice.
Appreciate 0