E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Ark Barrier - Liquid Glass Finish

09-16-2011, 06:42 AM   #1
QLD
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 LCI E92 - Mineral White

Ark Barrier - Liquid Glass Finish

Anyone got any experience or stories about this service and company.
Sounds amazing and photos are incredible of before and after results.??

------------------------------------------------------------------

A glass coating ensures that your car will have the best mirror reflection and it also does the following:

- Protects against oxidation
- Protects against acid attack (pollution, chemicals and bird droppings)
- Protects from minor car wash scratches
- Reduces cohesion of the painted surface (keeps the car cleaner)

So it will reduce the cost and time to maintain the exterior, eliminates oxidation and fading of the paint before it begins and it increases the resale value!

http://www.arkbarrier.com.au/pages/price-list.php

..sweet torquin' diesel!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 01:05 PM   #2
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: I love massive black cocks

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Something you should read: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=197235

Anything which involves adding a product that is said to stay on the car for 3-10 years is really stretching the realm of possibility.

The claims say that it protects for that long. As a detailer I ask the questions:

1. How would this be removed? As it is bonded to the paint, how does it come off?
2. NO additive to paint is swirl-resistant, and if the additive is that hard, how would you remove swirls? You certainly wouldn't be able to compound it down if the coating lasts that long and is that hard as they claim it to be.
3. The photos they show are before and afters - is it a bit suspect they don't show pictures of the process? There is one picture in their gallery of cut/compound applied to a car. As a detailer, yet again, it is very important for me to show clients what I do, and each stage of the process so they know the job has been done properly and complete. For all we know, they could just be compounding paintwork and waxing it.

What I find even more suspect is the follow-up products which they must force you to use or you use your 'warranty':

Quote:

Quick Links
Glass Coating for Motorbike Do you want to save money? Cut & Buffing Process Other Coating Products LCT Tax Saving Tip Dealership Opportunity Paint Protection Now
About Us

We are a Gold Coast based vehicle paint protection business. We have a passion for car and motorcycle paint protection and are experts in liquid glass coating.

True liquid glass coating is long lasting and vastly superior to wax!

Don't be fooled! Imitation liquid glass products are out there, but we offer genuine liquid glass imported from Japan which solidifies on contact with air and encompasses your car or motorcycle in hard glass.

Opening hours
Mon – Fri: 8:00am – 6:00pm
Sat: 9:00am – 12:00pm

Company Information
Goshu Keikaku Pty Ltd (t/a Ark Barrier)
ACN: 095 875 639 ABN: 27 095 875 639

- Official sole distributor of Ark Barrier Japan in Australia
- Official overseas sole distributor of Prestek, Modesta Japan
- Distributor of our own brand, Quartz glass coating
- Registration Number of Industrial Chemical Introducers(NICNAS): 9816

Warning Imitation Warning
There are many “imitations” and “copies” in the market. Please be careful when you are purchasing any products or application services, as we will not take any responsibility if the vehicle is damaged due to the use of imitation products or applied by unofficial agents.
Yes, i'm sceptical about this. Yes, i'm also a detailer so my opinion may be biased here. However, as a disclaimer, these guys are not in competition with me and so therefore I have no need to put the product down from a commercial point of view.

I'm just putting forward my opinion and knowledge and just think this whole thing reeks of scam.

Last edited by Taymaishu; 09-16-2011 at 01:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 06:31 AM   #3
QLD
Captain
Rep

Must be extremely new and unknown...??

78 reads and only 1 response....

So it could be brand new technology and great indeed?

..sweet torquin' diesel!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 08:09 AM   #4
sbce90
Me Boosta
Australia
Rep
Drives: 320i / MB C63 / VW up!

I admit - I looked at your thread. But I don't know anything about it and didn't want to make any unfounded comments.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 02:49 PM   #5
pcockley
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335

If it was any good the car manufacturers would be all over it
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 04:54 PM   #6
QLD
Captain
Rep

Valid point... but what if its brand new technology - they may just do that in coming years?

Regardless of using the glass technology, the overall site and their services delivered sound reasonably priced and they seem like they know their stuff.

I think my MW would shine up a treat.... just wish I knew someone who had tried them first

..sweet torquin' diesel!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 04:57 PM   #7
QLD
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taymaishu View Post
I'm just putting forward my opinion and knowledge and just think this whole thing reeks of scam.
I appreciate you taking the time to post your thoughts... thx

............I think the 'scam' comment is a bit tough given that we have no feedback from anyone who has actually used the service though?

But hey, that's what forums are for... to share opinions.

..sweet torquin' diesel!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 06:20 PM   #8
pcockley
Banned
Rep

This not new. I remember 20 odd years ago Mazda dealers offered this (along with the old rust prevention treatments) as an extra claiming the no need to polish, paint fade protection etc. IMO it's another con to get you to part with some hard earned. I'm sure there is 'some' benefit but not much. Personally don't park your car in full sun day after day and give it a wash regularly, perhaps a little polish once a year and all will be fine
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 06:54 PM   #9
QLD
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcockley View Post
This not new. I remember 20 odd years ago Mazda dealers offered this...
So just to clarify, 20yrs ago Mazda dealers offered "Liquid Glass" protection?

FRom the website:

Polymer coating started to appear in the market of the car care industry about 20 years ago, as a replacement for the wax as a vehicle exterior protection product. Polymer coating, with strong protection effect and longer durability (around 6 months) was introduced about 15 years ago.

Inorganic glass coating emerged about 10 years ago with stronger protection and even longer durability for car exteriors. Japan has been leading the world for the development of various types of coating and alternative products are introduced each year.

..sweet torquin' diesel!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 03:07 AM   #10
pcockley
Banned
Rep

I can't remember the brand but same story then as now.

I still stand by the thought that if this any good/valuable then all the car makers would be all over this like a rash. Don't forget paint these days is a two pack bake job
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 11:25 PM   #11
pcockley
Banned
Rep

Ok so i just had a look at their website and lets assume everything that say is 100% and it provides 3 to 10 years protection. Let me ask those who have a new car in the last 5 years. Is your duco in poor condition? I guess to me it looks as if they have a solution and are looking for a problem that existed 20 years ago. Today though i dont think so and hey if you do park in the full sun and never wash your car well you probably dont give a shit anyway.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 03:43 AM   #12
suff
On the hunt for PSI
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

http://www.physorg.com/news184310039.html
      09-19-2011, 06:11 AM   #13
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep
Drives: a black car

liquid glass
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 08:39 AM   #14
mmmmQuattro
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: f83 / E93 335 / E70 X5 40d

Garage List
just read their warranty on their faq page:
(Exclusions to warranty: Damage caused by rust, stone chipping, scratches, abrasion, panel repair or replacement, tree sap, bird droppings, abnormal chemical fallout or spillage, manufacturers imperfections and abnormal use or storage of the vehicle).
So basically they don't cover you for what you really need them to do.

I had one of these miracle paint protection systems applied to my 330 before I took delivery. Then one day a bird decides to $hit on the bonnet and do you think that I could claim?
The dealer said that nothing can protect against bird droppings.

Save your money and buy a good wax, apply it once a year and keep the car clean. Also, when you are cleaning the car, use two buckets (one to rinse) and don't wash in a circular motion.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 06:39 PM   #15
pcockley
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp330Cic.au View Post
just read their warranty on their faq page:
[INDENT](Exclusions to warranty: abnormal use or storage of the vehicle.
So i wonder if parking in the sun for a couple of hours a day constitutes 'abnormal use or storage of the vehicle'.

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 01:29 AM   #16
Max555
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 320i

That warranty is like having a car insurance that only pays you if you don't have any form of accident.
      09-20-2011, 07:59 AM   #17
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep
Drives: a black car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp330Cic.au View Post

Save your money and buy a good wax, apply it once a year and keep the car clean. Also, when you are cleaning the car, use two buckets (one to rinse) and don't wash in a circular motion.
And by once a year you mean two to four times a year right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max555 View Post
That warranty is like having a car insurance that only pays you if you don't have any form of accident.
Appreciate 0