E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Massive oil leak. Oil pan gasket or something else?

04-13-2015, 03:41 PM   #1
sp1tfire
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

Massive oil leak. Oil pan gasket or something else?

hey everyone.
Let me tell You some history first.
335i with 135k, 2010.

About a week ago, got the serpentine belt shredded (got no charging sign and hydraulic went off), was fortunate enough for it to happen in the night in the middle of mountains s-w of Denver. Also was dumb enough to keep driving, until i was almost home, when the car died (everything start blinking, wipers went on and battery died in 3 miles from home.
Got the car towed to my garage next day. was some While it was being put on the tow truck - saw some some coolant spill (didn't come back after fixed pulleys and belt) and some oil as well (not mixed together)
Since then i ordered and replaced both idler pulleys, tensioner and i already had new belt to put on.

Started driving, oil is leaking massively. About 1 quart to 70-100 miles. Topped it up twice (drove 2 days), now got the car on stands to identify the source and fix it.

What was done to the car (mechanical fixes) since 50k miles (started doing those things at 103k miles, when the warrant expired):
-Did the Vcg done ~15k ago. I'll probably do that while fixing the leak i hope to find. Either way inspected it, and no way that would loose that much from top and i wouldn't see massive oil stains coming from vcg.
-Transmission filter and fluid
-spark plugs and coils
-Brake Fluid (brakes/rotor)
-Proactively change water pump and thermostat @110k (still was original)
-Oil filter housing i did 2 month ago, so seriously doubt its it, also with such oil loss i would see the path of oil from there.
-Hpfp started giving up and was changed by bmw as its a subject to extended warranty.

About the leak:
Oil is all over the oil pan and going up the the start of transmission filter, i hope thats not the Rear Main Seal, and most likely its not, i think i just got to the back while driving, seems to be wet around Front Crank Seal, but not sure if Front Crank Seal would so massively.

Everything under the oil pan if freakin wet in oil, the oil lines, sway bar... everything.
Started the car on jack stands, after cleaned as much as i could.
The most dripping i got right around sway bar/front part of oil pan.

Will add some pictures in hour or so. Basically i just want advice, if there is a way to check where exactly the leak is to be sure or other things that could affect that.

After googling everything about n54's RMS, Front crank seal, oil pan gasket, definitely want to do all of those in the next month or so, but first i want to create pattern of fixes that i will be making, as it also needs tools, and reading much more about DIYing those things and to know what also has to be done while so much stuff will have to be taken apart and maybe smarter to change some thing while i will be there. But as of now i need to fix the huge leak I've got.

Will be thankful for any advices. Thanks

Last edited by sp1tfire; 04-13-2015 at 03:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 12:33 AM   #2
BashShah
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sedan

Google N54 serpentine belt shredding.
Google 335i serpentine belt shredding.
That's your leak.

Main crank shaft pulley....belt went inside the engine.... Maybe....but cause you kept driving.... Chances are high that it actually did.

But in order for coverage.... Prove that the belt broke cause of the power steering pulley coming in contact with the sub frame.....known issue to reputable dealers.

If you have CPO of any kind, take it in to dealer.
There is a chance that your engine needs replacing.
I don't wasn't to scare you, but just sharing what I have read a few horror posts.
Look them up and read them.

DN
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 01:35 AM   #3
NA55
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkNemesis View Post
That's your leak.

Main crank shaft pulley....belt went inside the engine.... Maybe....but cause you kept driving.... Chances are high that it actually did.

But in order for coverage.... Prove that the belt broke cause of the power steering pulley coming in contact with the sub frame.....known issue to reputable dealers.

I don't wasn't to scare you, but just sharing what I have read a few horror posts.

DN
Correct.. could be the front main seal behind the crank pulley.. If you drove with the shredded belt, then there's probably pieces of belt that got tangled and pulled into the engine... Take off the crank pulley to look for any belt pieces..
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 06:45 AM   #4
still in school
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkNemesis View Post
That's your leak.

DN
This is it.

Unfortunately for me, it occurred with the prior owner and they just replaced with another belt. I had to pay out of pocket for a new front main seal. good luck
Appreciate 0