E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Mobile phone issues. Not fit for purpose?

10-17-2011, 12:35 PM   #1
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

Mobile phone issues. Not fit for purpose?

I've been with Vodafone for years and always had an upto date smartphone.

Always hated their customer service but the coverage was always good for me so I always ended up staying.

In the last few months(since I got the iphone 4) I've been having loads of problems with data and quite often calls don't come through to my phone. Either they go straight to voicemail or the other person can't get me.

Worse still is my data service which I use a lot.

It works fine in many areas. However if I go to an area with lots of people around such as a city centre like Edinburgh, Glasgow and sometimes even Aberdeen my phone can't access data at all.

Same with concerts, football and at the motor racing last month. When there was an oil and gas convention on over the road a few weeks ago I was left frozen out for the 3 days it was on. As soon as it finished in the evening I was good again.

I've been emailing Vodafone who offered sure signal. I did appreciate the offer but it's not only my home address that I have major issues at and it would not solve the issue.

Now I'm told that because I'm a heavy data user they refuse to accept there is a significant problem. Even after explaining if you look at where I access data you are going to find I'm using it in just a few areas as it does not work elsewhere.

I've provided about 20 postcodes all in prime areas where my phone refuses to work. These are spread out across Scotland. Vodafone emailed to say they were working on the network in THAT area.

My sim card has been replaced twice and I've had my phone replaced by Apple too neither of which helped.

My contract allowed me 25mb per day in Portugal a few weeks ago where the phone worked perfectly.

Anyone idea how to tackle this as I'm getting nowhere with Vodafone?

Last edited by Kerr; 10-17-2011 at 02:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 01:35 PM   #2
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
When you say "data user" what does that refer to exactly??

I am getting similar thing to you will dropped called but with Orange on an I-phizzle4, maybe the problem is the Phizz?!
      10-17-2011, 01:41 PM   #3
Sir_Pigley
Captain
Rep
Drives: 640d GC / 420i XDrive

Garage List
I have an iPhone4 on Vodafone and have been unimpressed with 3G coverage just about anywhere compared to the network I was on previously (T-Mobile).

However I think the issue is also to do with the fact that I was using a Nokia E51 before and that phone was mega at finding and exploiting signal. I have a 3 Sim which on the E51 will get 4 bars signal at my house. Put that same SIM into an unlocked Android San Francisco and it will get one bar max.

So it is as much to do with the phone as with the network. And in that respect I don't think the iPhone 4 is as good as Nokia. (However I would not give it up - instead I'll live with its limitations in return for its benefits).
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 02:26 PM   #4
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Data user= spending a lot of time on the Internet and having access to 3G or even 2G to pick up my emails etc.

I'm not convinced the phone is the issue. At my work it works perfectly well as I'm on the outskirts of Aberdeen. However on the night/days an event is on in the exhibition centre I get no data. It was also much better in Portugal.

I think it's clear Vodafone can't handle the traffic. While some of the mobile networks are pulling in new customers with unlimited data, Vodafone is decreasing limits and putting up costs.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 10:03 AM   #5
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

On the phone to Vodafone manager today.

According to them it's only a requirement that your mobile phone works at your postcode. The data part has no legal requirements even though you pay for it as part of your contract.

The phone reception at my house is dreadful which I had already highlighted. It does keep dropping the network.

Vodafone admit their network is too busy in all the area I've specified and have plans to upgrade all areas. No dates pencilled in to even start the work though.

Only solution offered was to have a sure signal box sent to my home address.

Basically to rectify the fact my phone struggles across large parts of the country they want me to use sure signal over my Internet connection so they meet the required legal requirement of a mobile phone working in your house.

Defeats the mobile part of it!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 11:28 AM   #6
confused.com
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335d

I had the exact same issues when i bought the IPhone 3gs on Orange when it was released. Apple replaced my phone twice with no luck and Orange kept asking for postcodes of where i was so they could check the 3G transmitter/signal or something - i'd politely tell them to f**k off as i dont have a postcode of every area i visit. Numerous calls back and forward and eventually i was told switching off 3g would resolve the issue - this didnt please me. Long story short, got on to offcom who contacted Orange - very next day somebody from the 'executive office' called and asked me to return my phone and the contract would be cancelled and money refunded.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 11:45 AM   #7
B005T3D-G
Class Leading Reprobate
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Impreza STi - E92 335i (56)

Garage List
Wonder if o2 have something like that. I get Feck all signal on my iDrone at home
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 12:01 PM   #8
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
trying contacting consumer direct....
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 03:28 AM   #9
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

A customer care manager was back in touch with me today.

He was nice about the situation and after investigation could see that the service was not up to standard.

The coverage showing for my home address is very poor and on the basis of that I was offered either contract termination or the next 6 months at half price in hope that future masts would be put up in the area.

He also did say the the iPhone is part of the problem as they don't have as good a signal as other phones.

He has given me my PAC code to allow me to switch to another provider within the next month. My current bill has been removed and there will be no further charges before the month is out unless I exceed my allowances.

On the lookout for a new phone and a new network.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 03:56 AM   #10
m@rk
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 520D SE

Garage List
Vodafone are currently suffering from large chunks of their network being saturated. A victim of their own success.

So many more people use their network than anyone else that at any major event (or even just rush hour on the circle line) it becomes almost unusable.

They will never admit this in public but they are currently spending billions to fix this and are a couple of months into a major network wide upgrade. I would not expect this to be complete though for at least another year.

Everything Everywhere however (T-Mobile and Orange) have more than enough capacity. They are merging 2 networks that both had surplus capacity to start with and it really shows.

My own company provided mobile broadband was recently changed from Vodafone to iPass (iPass use T-Mobile as a carrier) and the difference is staggering.

Likewise my wife is on T-Mobile and again, never has a problem.

But I hesitate to recommend T-Mobile. They currently offer great customer service (and have done for many years) BUT with the merge with Orange (who I have always received poor customer service from) will that change?

So for now, especially with a phone that isn't renowned for it's great coverage, you are probably right in looking away from Vodafone.