E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Watchdog This Week It Looks Like It Is About Bmw

09-14-2012, 05:09 PM   #287
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanS100 View Post
I think new locks would be a fairly long & hence expensive fix & it still wouldn't do anything for the OBD problem
I agree,and I very much doubt replacing the locks is going to happen,for the very reason/s you've mentioned.

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 05:48 AM   #288
E93learner
Private
Rep
Drives: 420D F33

HI,

wow this thread has got very long.

but glad we are hoping to get somewhere with BMW.

i phoned and got the same story details taken, and i will be contacted within 8 weeks by my local dealer.

Lets see what happens.

i am moving my obd port tomorrow morning anyway.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 06:21 AM   #289
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post
Screwdiver in the door lock, and the windows drop,hence some cars are being nicked without the glass being broken.
I thought it was to do with signal jammers and clonning the keys before stealing the car.
But who knows, how many other methods are out there.
      09-15-2012, 06:57 AM   #290
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 LCI M Sport

How secure is the BMW remote? I assume that it has rolling codes but how secure does that make it & does code grabbing work with rolling codes?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 08:53 AM   #291
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
I thought it was to do with signal jammers and clonning the keys before stealing the car.
Quote:
How secure is the BMW remote? I assume that it has rolling codes but how secure does that make it & does code grabbing work with rolling codes?
The remote is perfectly secure. The stolen cars are NOT being stolen using cloned keys. There are tons of threads here and on PH explaining how they're being taken - I'm surprised that Makkan, being able to code himself, wasn't aware of this already...
      09-15-2012, 09:06 AM   #292
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by parapaul View Post
The remote is perfectly secure. The stolen cars are NOT being stolen using cloned keys. There are tons of threads here and on PH explaining how they're being taken - I'm surprised that Makkan, being able to code himself, wasn't aware of this already...
I think Makkan was saying that the lack of broken glass is more likely to be down to "signal jammers" preventing the car locking & then "cloning" via OBD, in response to Hotcoupes screwdriver/lock scenario

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 10:59 AM   #293
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330d M Sport

Garage List
That's it though, the keys aren't being cloned. 99% likely the thieves only have one key, so there's probably not even any record of unusual sales of spare keys.
      09-15-2012, 11:16 AM   #294
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
so there's probably not even any record of unusual sales of spare keys.
Not unless Ebay make a record of all the keys they've sold,it will certainly eclipse the number that BMW parts depts sell to real punters that's for sure.

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 12:40 PM   #295
G82Dude
-
Rep
Drives: M4CMxD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post
Not unless Ebay make a record of all the keys they've sold,it will certainly eclipse the number that BMW parts depts sell to real punters that's for sure.
Ebay? Make a record of keys sold?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 12:54 PM   #296
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by uke92dude View Post
Ebay? Make a record of keys sold?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 01:58 PM   #297
2funky4u
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i SE Coupe

So here's a novel thought..talking to my brother and his tech ( he runs an ICE garage), for autos you can't start the car without putting your foot on the brake. So add a simple switch ( hidden away) to the brake electric cable... Wouldn't that work?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 04:45 PM   #298
e92_alex
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4

I haven't read all the posts so sorry if already answered, but what are BMW doing, moving the port?

Well I also hope they provide a massive sticker saying the port has been moved. Because it will be to late when they have smashed the window and then realise they can't find the port.

After having 2 failed attempts of my 3 series being stolen, after the 2nd time it would have been easier it being stolen and not returned! Replacing control units, keys, glass, door trims.. gets tiresome.

Last edited by e92_alex; 09-15-2012 at 04:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 06:37 PM   #299
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92_alex View Post
I also hope they provide a massive sticker saying the port has been moved. Because it will be to late when they have smashed the window and then realise they can't find the port.
There'll probably be 2 stickers, one saying "OBD Port Moved" & the other a big arrow with "Here It Is", just in case the BMW techs can't find it.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 07:26 PM   #300
QLD
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 LCI E92 - Mineral White

..sweet torquin' diesel!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2012, 10:20 AM   #301
Matrez
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90

BMW said that 2006 E90s are not affected due to different software when compared to the newer models.

I have got the 2006 E90 so I suppose I should be happy.

Ive seen on many BMWs, in order to start up the car, the key fob needs to be inserted and then the start button pressed.

In my case before pressing the start button I need to push the clutch all the way and then I can press the start button in order to fire up the car.

How is it in your case ?

Last edited by Matrez; 09-16-2012 at 10:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2012, 10:26 AM   #302
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep

I don't know, I always put the clutch in anyway so it's not something I've ever thought about
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2012, 10:47 AM   #303
Matrez
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I don't know, I always put the clutch in anyway so it's not something I've ever thought about
Put the car in neutral and try pressing the start button on its own once the key fob is inserted. My car would not start like so as I must press the clutch first.
      09-16-2012, 10:53 AM   #304
Squintstream
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 435i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrez View Post
Put the car in neutral and try pressing the start button on its own once the key fob is inserted. My car would not start like so as I must press the clutch first.
I thought all E9* manual cars were like this.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2012, 11:41 AM   #305
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36

Quote:
I think Makkan was saying that the lack of broken glass is more likely to be down to "signal jammers" preventing the car locking & then "cloning" via OBD, in response to Hotcoupes screwdriver/lock scenario
Thanks IanS for explaining what I was saying.

Quote:
I'm surprised that Makkan, being able to code himself, wasn't aware of this already...
Mate, it is my ignorance that I do not take interest in negative stuff.

Quote:
That's it though, the keys aren't being cloned. 99% likely the thieves only have one key, so there's probably not even any record of unusual sales of spare keys.
Interesting. My understanding is that even though you use one key, but you are linking that key to different cars, and it is still considered 'clonning that key to that car' as technically you are using the genes of that car

I may be totally wrong on this mate unless the car suffers from erectile dysfunction.

Quote:
There'll probably be 2 stickers, one saying "OBD Port Moved" & the other a big arrow with "Here It Is", just in case the BMW techs can't find it.

Another quality post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2funky4u View Post
So here's a novel thought..talking to my brother and his tech ( he runs an ICE garage), for autos you can't start the car without putting your foot on the brake. So add a simple switch ( hidden away) to the brake electric cable... Wouldn't that work?

Unfotunately, that is not a very good solution. Being coder I observe that each bmw has an option to escape this. Just a matter of ticking an option box.
So with coding, you can skip that step.

And if they can code a key to your car, it is not difficult to code that option with the same hardware but tweaking / adding another option.
      09-16-2012, 02:23 PM   #306
F31-340i
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrez View Post
BMW said that 2006 E90s are not affected due to different software when compared to the newer models.

I have got the 2006 E90 so I suppose I should be happy.

Ive seen on many BMWs, in order to start up the car, the key fob needs to be inserted and then the start button pressed.

In my case before pressing the start button I need to push the clutch all the way and then I can press the start button in order to fire up the car.

How is it in your case ?
I'm yet to be convinced about the '2006 not affected' story. Mine is 2006 so technically not affected, but i also know it had updated software from the dealer in 2008 when i bought it (getting the silver nav screen etc.) - [this was an attempt to make iphones work with E9x which didnt share phonebooks at the time - now an issue long since fixed]. So is mine vulnerable or not?
      09-17-2012, 04:37 AM   #307
Matrez
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///ajd;126****7
I'm yet to be convinced about the '2006 not affected' story. Mine is 2006 so technically not affected, but i also know it had updated software from the dealer in 2008 when i bought it (getting the silver nav screen etc.) - [this was an attempt to make iphones work with E9x which didnt share phonebooks at the time - now an issue long since fixed]. So is mine vulnerable or not?
It depends what kind of software they have uploaded, the 2006 one or later one. I am just thinking, why is the old software safe ? Is it that the computer cuts off the OBD port once the car is turned off and closed ? I think there is no point anyway for the OBD port to be activated when the car is locked as there is no point of using it Also BMW's fantastic design is that there is no glass break sensor and the sensor to activating the alarm doesnt cover the 4 inch are down the driver's door. The OBD port is located within great position

The security company who worked with BMW on the very special design just made all of this in mind for the thieves to steal our cars so they could also earn money selling their codes to other companies to making these key coding devices.

Thousands or even millions of people have heard about it and I suppose the BMW sales will drop down so maybe then BMW will think about all this !
      09-19-2012, 02:36 PM   #308
E93learner
Private
Rep
Drives: 420D F33

guys

watchdog, bmw is on again

about insurance companies not paying for stolen cars
Appreciate 0