E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Vessel AIDA: Departed Jan 31 for Georgia then California

02-27-2008, 03:42 PM   #177
demosthenes
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328i 6MT

Garage List
2008 328i sedan  [0.00]
I've been forcing myself to be in "delayed gratification" mode for so long that I can't imagine actually getting my car. This has not been easy.

I had to re-order, so it's been a total of about 3 months. I've never waited so long for something I wanted so badly. Fortunately, that statement doesn't offend my wife, who could say "how about our wedding day".

This has been the best thread I've followed. Many thanks to SPN and the other great posters. The tone has always been helpful and courteous, which should be the norm instead of the exception.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2008, 03:46 PM   #178
spn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '09 MB SL63 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaric View Post
I'd say best case is 3 days. I'm guessing mine will likely end up at my dealer in Chico sometime between Saturday and Monday, which means I will be able to schedule a rental car to go get it Monday or Tuesday. But the drive is saving me around $2000, and I'll get some quality drive time in the new vehicle otw back

Worst case, it could be a lot longer. If for some reason your car needs repairs at the VPC, you could have to wait for the body shop to tear down your car, repaint, bake it, and then reassemble the car. I'd say you'd be lucky if that is done inside a week

Realistically, we can spy on the Asian Emporer thread and see when people get their updates, and guesstimate we're about a day behind though.
I think it is great that you are going after your car at a far-away dealership. The drive home will be a lot of fun. I would like to do that; go after my car in LA when it comes into the port. But, apparently it is a hassle for my dealership to make arrangements with a LA dealership for me to take delivery down there. I would love to drive it home, though.

I think the first of the week is a good guesstimate for both of you.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2008, 03:55 PM   #179
spn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by demosthenes View Post
I've been forcing myself to be in "delayed gratification" mode for so long that I can't imagine actually getting my car. This has not been easy.

I had to re-order, so it's been a total of about 3 months. I've never waited so long for something I wanted so badly. Fortunately, that statement doesn't offend my wife, who could say "how about our wedding day".

This has been the best thread I've followed. Many thanks to SPN and the other great posters. The tone has always been helpful and courteous, which should be the norm instead of the exception.
Well, we both have understanding spouses! Fortunately for me, too, my husband isn't offended when I talk about my SL as being "the love of my life." (which I do all the time!)

I ordered my first SL on November 21 and it finally arrived at my dealership on March 31 (this was two years ago). So, I had a four-month wait and the wait consumed me. I understand what everyone is going through on this thread. Waiting for my second SL hasn't been so tortuous, because I (thankfully) still have my first one to enjoy.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2008, 03:59 PM   #180
spn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

And, thanks to you guys for letting me jump onboard. It is a lot of fun to have a good group of people on a thread!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2008, 04:24 PM   #181
Aaric
Private
Rep
Drives: X5

I'm glad to have people to help/share my obsession with - thanks to you guys as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by demosthenes
I've never waited so long for something I wanted so badly. Fortunately, that statement doesn't offend my wife, who could say "how about our wedding day".
I don't know about your wedding day, but I was so glad to have mine over with. Planning our wedding was an exercise in compromise. Admittedly, it really helped teaching us to deal with each other under large amounts of stress, but damned if I would want to inflict that on anyone

Quote:
my husband isn't offended when I talk about my SL as being "the love of my life."
Luckily for me, my wife runs/owns a limosuine service, so she understands my obsession. When we met, we had an '04 CR-V, '72 land rover, '01 S2000, newer Acura integra, a newer Ranger, and a '04 CBR 600RR between us. We've since cut down to just an '06 civic and an '07 Odyssey (we've got a 7 month old now, so I got rid of my toys).

I've always been addicted to cars, and was ecstatic when she suggested I should just buy the damned car I wanted rather than suffering in an econobox
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2008, 04:52 PM   #182
spn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I don't know about your wedding day, but I was so glad to have mine over with. Planning our wedding was an exercise in compromise. Admittedly, it really helped teaching us to deal with each other under large amounts of stress, but damned if I would want to inflict that on anyone
Wait until you have kids. Ahh! Shame on me for saying that. Actually, it is fun to look back on their childhoods and our great memories.

Here's the updated AIS. These are delayed by up to an hour, so it very well could be that she is in port now. That little coastline deformity under the "s" in "approaches" is PH.

Keep us posted on your progress over the next week.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-27-2008, 05:22 PM   #183
Aaric
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spn View Post
Wait until you have kids. Ahh! Shame on me for saying that. Actually, it is fun to look back on their childhoods and our great memories.
We actually have a 7 mo old...but I'm sure it gets worse.

I'm resisting the urge to take a 2 hour drive down to PH and check that the Aida is actually in port
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2008, 05:34 PM   #184
spn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
We actually have a 7 mo old...but I'm sure it gets worse.

I'm resisting the urge to take a 2 hour drive down to PH and check that the Aida is actually in port
I would do it in a heartbeat. I would be there already!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2008, 06:12 PM   #185
demosthenes
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328i 6MT

Garage List
2008 328i sedan  [0.00]
Quote:
I would do it in a heartbeat. I would be there already!
Me too. I'd even cancel appointments with customers. I'd plan my day around it.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2008, 06:13 PM   #186
spn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by demosthenes View Post
I'd plan my day around it.
I'd plan my week around it!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2008, 06:24 PM   #187
Aaric
Private
Rep

Quote:
I'd plan my week around it!
Hah! My wife isn't that understanding.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2008, 06:32 PM   #188
spn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
One of the guys on the Sirius Leader thread is going to try and go over to the PH dock after work (he works on the base there.) He will see if Aida is in port. He's looking for Sirius Leader. She's due into SoCal at anytime. We are trying to find her. . .
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2008, 06:33 PM   #189
spn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Actually, it is hard to plan anything with these ships. They are so unpredictable.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2008, 07:34 PM   #190
abendx
Fornicator
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92

Quote:
One of the guys on the Sirius Leader thread is going to try and go over to the PH dock after work (he works on the base there.) He will see if Aida is in port. He's looking for Sirius Leader. She's due into SoCal at anytime. We are trying to find her. . .
Drove by at 5:10 PST, only one ship in the harbor... something named ??? Reefer. Smallish boat, probably no cars on it. In the distance I could see two much larger ships in the ocean. Looked to be the kind they transport cars on. My house is just a few hundred yards from the entrance to the port, so I walked out on the beach, but the ships are still pretty far out. One looked to be white and blue, but I can not be sure.

The boat was too far out for the camera on my phone.
      02-27-2008, 07:45 PM   #191
spn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by abendx View Post
Drove by at 5:10 PST, only one ship in the harbor... something named ??? Reefer. Smallish boat, probably no cars on it. In the distance I could see two much larger ships in the ocean. Looked to be the kind they transport cars on. My house is just a few hundred yards from the entrance to the port, so I walked out on the beach, but the ships are still pretty far out. One looked to be white and blue, but I can not be sure.

The boat was too far out for the camera on my phone.
I bet the one you thought was blue and white is her. Could it be green and white like this one? This is Aida. White on top, green on bottom. Do you think she was maybe an hour from port? Thanks for checking. It would be cool to be there.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-27-2008, 07:50 PM   #192
spn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

This is what I am seeing on AIS for PH right now. There is a ship named LUKE in the harbor, but that is the only ship (label) showing for PH. Maybe Luke was the other ship that abendx saw out in the ocean.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-27-2008, 07:56 PM   #193
garyhgaryh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Supercharged e30 M3

My car was on the Aphrodite Leader which docked last week. I got a call from my dealer today and my ED car is at the dealership right now. I haven't yet made up my mind to pick it up today or tommorrow.

Here's some stats I posted on the AL thread which will interest you guys who are waiting:

Some stats:

1/12/08 SAT: Dropped off in Germany/Garching/Harms
1/22/08 TUE: AL departed port in Germany
2/18/08 MON: AL docked at PH
2/20/08 WED: First nonED car at dealership
2/27/08 WED: My car at dealership (ED car)

Total of six weeks from drop off at Harms to my dealership. I'm happy.

I'm from the Bay Area and my dealer is in Fremont.
Hope this helps.
Gary
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2008, 08:00 PM   #194
spn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyhgaryh View Post
My car was on the Aphrodite Leader which docked last week. I got a call from my dealer today and my ED car is at the dealership right now. I haven't yet made up my mind to pick it up today or tommorrow.

Here's some stats I posted on the AL thread which will interest you guys who are waiting:

Some stats:

1/12/08 SAT: Dropped off in Germany/Garching/Harms
1/22/08 TUE: AL departed port in Germany
2/18/08 MON: AL docked at PH
2/20/08 WED: First nonED car at dealership
2/27/08 WED: My car at dealership (ED car)

Total of six weeks from drop off at Harms to my dealership. I'm happy.

I'm from the Bay Area and my dealer is in Fremont.
Hope this helps.
Gary
Gary-Aida just pulled into port. What do you think about timing for a non ED car to San Francisco? Maybe Monday or Tuesday delivery?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2008, 08:02 PM   #195
Aaric
Private
Rep

abendx - thanks for checking.

Hrm, could be they already unloaded the Aida, or it could be they are waiting till tomorrow to unload.

More suspense
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2008, 08:07 PM   #196
garyhgaryh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Supercharged e30 M3

It took 3 days for non ed cars to show up at the dealership in the bay area.
About 9-10+ days for ED cars to show up.

We talking about the earliest I've seen in the short time I've been keeping track from a shop docking to seeing a car at the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2008, 08:16 PM   #197
spn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
abendx - thanks for checking.

Hrm, could be they already unloaded the Aida, or it could be they are waiting till tomorrow to unload.

More suspense
No way. She just got to port. These ships hold 5000 cars onboard. There is no way she can unload that fast. Actually, the PH schedule shows she has 1043 BMWs onboard and hundreds of other cars including MiniCoopers plus others I am sure.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2008, 08:17 PM   #198
Aaric
Private
Rep

Quote:
No way. She just got to port. These ships hold 5000 cars onboard. There is no way she can unload that fast. Actually, the PH schedule shows she has 1043 BMWs onboard and hundreds of other cars including MiniCoopers plus others I am sure.

Fine, burst my bubble with a dose of reality (and I believe its 6700 for the Aida - not sure on her current load atm though)
Appreciate 0