E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Oil blowing out of Filter housing ring

11-17-2012, 02:21 PM   #1
DKUCHTA
Rep
Drives: 01 325Vert, 06 sedan, 06 Wagon

Oil blowing out of Filter housing ring

I have a 2006 325i sedan e90.
After the oil light came on, checked under the hood I have oil everywhere. I did some searches and found the oil filter housing gasket dyi. I tried that and now
I am trying to trouble shoot why i have oil blowing out of the oil filter housing cap along the o ring.

It appears it is building pressure and its pushing through the o ring. I have tried resetting the ring multiple times. I can not find a break down. Is there a valve that is not opening or something else causing this pressure ??

Any comments or info are much needed... Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 06:05 AM   #2
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

I'd get a new oli filter cap and see if that fixes the issue. Maybe someone over-torqued the cap on there now and (hairline) cracked it. Also, do you have the O-ring in the correct place? It goes in the square groove about 2MM below the lip of the cap, not right under the lip.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 08:19 AM   #3
DKUCHTA
Rep
Drives: 01 325Vert, 06 sedan, 06 Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I'd get a new oli filter cap and see if that fixes the issue. Maybe someone over-torqued the cap on there now and (hairline) cracked it. Also, do you have the O-ring in the correct place? It goes in the square groove about 2MM below the lip of the cap, not right under the lip.
Thanks for the reply. I,ll take a look at the o ring location. And try the cap tomorrow. It's not by chance the same as the e46 is it? I have a 325i e46 I haven't had any issues with.
Appreciate 0