E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Does you're E90/E92/93 have a rattle......

12-23-2011, 07:43 AM   #1
DavS1
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Emfree

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Does you're E90/E92/93 have a rattle......

From the drivers (or possibly passenger) side A pillar/wheel arch/door shut area on speeds exceeding ~40mph?

Well, Since I bought my car back in August 2010, it's had an annoying flappy/rattly sound coming from that area that was definately speed related and definately something to do with the wind catching something.

I put the car into BMW where they recognised the noise, stripped the scuttle panel area, done numerous test drives and could not find what the problem was, I was SURE it was coming from the wheel arch area and even made them remove the inner liner to inspect but they came back with nothing, well no that's a lie the problem seemed to dissappear when they worked on it and it was fine 'til I hit 100mph+ on my own test track

So, i've lived with it since but it's always done my breasticles in, until the other day my friend who works at BMW txt me to tell me the fault is recognised and is on the internal computer (PuMA) and that the problem was actually a nut for securing the wing.....

BMW's measure: "Open the door, apply loctite 454 instant adhesive between the sliding element and the forward end of the side wall near the A pillar

The adhesive should be applied from the outside with the door half open, removal of the front door can therefore be avoided"

Not sure exactly what part it is, but once I find out i'll update with pics, just thought i'd let you's know incase you have the same issue as me!
      12-23-2011, 07:47 AM   #2
bazz780
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 330d m sport

id say put some gummy phlenge on the door seals and should do the trick? mine was rattling and annoying, did the door seals lube and voila!

Oh and it also cured an annoying whistling sound at high speed
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2011, 07:49 AM   #3
dobbo99
Major
Rep
Drives: E39 530 oldskool

i have a similar sound, rattle from around the rear speaker, rear trim area, but cant quite put my finger on it - sounds like this maybe in with a shout of curing it!
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2011, 07:59 AM   #4
DavS1
Major
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
On further inspection, it appears to be speed clips similar to these:

which hold the wing to the A pillar, which can be seen from the outside with the door half open. My guess is the bolts simply come loose with wind vibration, so lock tight is used to stop them rattling about, I'd put my money on it being that as it's in exactly the area I could hear the noise from!
      12-23-2011, 09:58 AM   #5
Baby Dave
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: E90 320d m sport

I have a whining sound coming from the passenger seat. To stop it I leave my wife at home
      12-23-2011, 10:01 AM   #6
Subzero2003
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Lol ^^

I have a VERY annoying rattle coming from my passenger door foldable storage pocket. Anyone know how to remove it so I can see if there's anything behind it?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2011, 10:57 AM   #7
NotNormal
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A6 Avant 3.0TDi Quattro

DavS1.... I have the exact same rattle noise thing....I'll investigate tomorrow, during lighter hours !!!!

Could you possible put a photo up with the area these rechid speed clips lurk ?!?

Thanks

Tom
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2011, 11:01 AM   #8
DavS1
Major
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
NotNormal - I will indeed once daylight returns.

I looked at my speed clip's expecting them to be loose (the bolt goes in from the wheel arch side and you can see the thread of the bolt/rear of the speed clip from the door shut (if you have the door half open you can see the speed clips (one top one bottom) from either side of the door) but they were tight and showed no signs of causing a problem :[ So I spoke to my mate (bmw tech) and he reckons theres more too it than just those 2 clips, but will speak to him later and update when I know more.
      12-23-2011, 12:17 PM   #9
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Vroooooommmmm
      12-23-2011, 12:46 PM   #10
DavS1
Major
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
Vroooooommmmm
You been drinking?
      12-23-2011, 02:16 PM   #11
Edi1011
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 LeMans Blue E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavS1 View Post
You been drinking?
Think he means hit the Loud Peddle hard enuff = cant hear any rattles

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 03:46 PM   #12
Jules6
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330d M Sport

Garage List
Try checking the underbonnet drains just below each A pillar. Dead leaves can collect there and partially block the drain holes creating noise. Worth a look.

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 03:49 PM   #13
NotNormal
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A6 Avant 3.0TDi Quattro

All the speed clips on my wings are tight sadly.....back to the drawing board for me haha !!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 05:28 PM   #14
jamesg
Private
Rep
Drives: M135i

Very annoying centre console rattle from mine - seems to be from behind the air vents. Also had the passenger door trim but that's fixed by just pushing it in.

Im a bit OCD about rattles and they drive me mate, one of the few things I dislike about my e90, don't expect it from a BMW!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 06:16 PM   #15
DavS1
Major
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
jules6, good shout but i've tried that, had the whole scuttle pannel/wipers and a load of other bits removed and it still done it, as I said it's a recognised fault with our cars by BMW but for some reason i'm either missing something or they got it wrong, my speed clips are all tight and rattle free, I think the wheel arch liner needs to come off for inspection!

haven't done anything about this, I might look on Sunday and if I can't fix it i'll put it into bmw as it also has bad condensation on the repeater lenses

jamesg, when it's cold out i get a creek from between my centre consol/dash, if you jam a finger in it, it stops...a lot of people jame a thin piece of rubber inbetween to stop this. When it's summer, the noise dissappears.

Also, the seatbelt butlers rattle when cold, this does my tit's in also, the car's only done 11K miles!
      01-05-2012, 11:55 AM   #16
greatbm
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G15 840i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavS1 View Post
jules6, good shout but i've tried that, had the whole scuttle pannel/wipers and a load of other bits removed and it still done it, as I said it's a recognised fault with our cars by BMW but for some reason i'm either missing something or they got it wrong, my speed clips are all tight and rattle free, I think the wheel arch liner needs to come off for inspection!

haven't done anything about this, I might look on Sunday and if I can't fix it i'll put it into bmw as it also has bad condensation on the repeater lenses

jamesg, when it's cold out i get a creek from between my centre consol/dash, if you jam a finger in it, it stops...a lot of people jame a thin piece of rubber inbetween to stop this. When it's summer, the noise dissappears.

Also, the seatbelt butlers rattle when cold, this does my tit's in also, the car's only done 11K miles!
Has your car got the bonnet sound insulation in place? if so try removing it 6 fixings, you may find your fluttering noise has gone. I think BMW removed this insulation in 2008 anyway.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 12:59 PM   #17
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

Angry

I just paid £47 to bmw to instal a new rattle today.

Had one at the very rear of the car that comes and goes occasionally. Since I booked the car in 3 weeks ago it stopped but when the car was in for the booking today they investigated it.

They found it was the b pillar which confused me as that's the middle of the car.

Drove the car up the road to hear this new rattle.

£47 for a rattle is a bargain I thought.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 02:06 PM   #18
DavS1
Major
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatbm View Post
Has your car got the bonnet sound insulation in place? if so try removing it 6 fixings, you may find your fluttering noise has gone. I think BMW removed this insulation in 2008 anyway.
No insulation on mine mate, thanks for the suggestion tho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerr View Post
I just paid £47 to bmw to instal a new rattle today.

Had one at the very rear of the car that comes and goes occasionally. Since I booked the car in 3 weeks ago it stopped but when the car was in for the booking today they investigated it.

They found it was the b pillar which confused me as that's the middle of the car.

Drove the car up the road to hear this new rattle.

£47 for a rattle is a bargain I thought.

Pain in the ass! It's the hassle of booking it in, taking it and getting another car to run about in, just a big convinience!

Well upon driving home to work, merily listening to some tunes, I decided to turn the music down to listen for the rattle...couldnt hear it on the drivers side, but it's now developed on the passenger side, honestly..you just couldn't write this crap So i'm making a list of the odds and ends im not happy with and it's going in to bmw following monday 'til it's fixed
      01-05-2012, 02:33 PM   #19
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

I astounds me that these issues aren't properly investigated when an owner of a £30k+ car walks into a dealer and complains about something that is clearly driving them crackers. If my car broke down it would be taken to the dealer, the offending part replaced/mended, I'd pick it up, job done. I'd probably never give it a second thought. It's happened in the past with other brands. Why are dealers so out of the loop with Joe Public when it comes to the issues that spoil the enjoyment of a car every single day? Issues that may seriously discourage a buyer from looking at a particular marque again. Or at the very least writing off the entire dealer network as a bunch of incompetents.

I've had my dash rattle/squeak/noise/whatever for about 6 months now and the car has been back (at least) three times but each time the issue isn't sorted because of a lack of investigation by the dealer and the system in place with BMW regarding the time they can spend on the problem. I thought I was close the last time because the tech seemed to give a shit and he asked if he could drive my car home and back. Perfect I thought. In the end he didn't and some other numpty got it and when I picked it up it appeared all he'd done was wipe my OBC, pair his iPhone and crank the stereo volume up to 11. Obviously the noise reappeared within 20 yards of leaving the dealer.

At the moment I'm trying to ignore it. But that's only going to last so long.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 03:10 PM   #20
DavS1
Major
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
It really is ridiculous, it's been in once before and my friend who works in the garage was working on it for me, he's usually pretty good and doesn't like to get beaten...he did genuinly think he'd fixed it when he replaced a broken part of the scuttle panel which was hidden (no idea why it would have been off to get broken on a 2 yr old car at the time that had done 8K miles but there you go...). anyway, it was in and out of the garage on test drives and I even had to pay a fuel bill for the privelidge, why should I pay for fuel when It's not my fault it rattles?? It put me off taking it back and thought as i'm a mechanic myself "sod this i'll fix it myself" but alas i've just had no time what with running and maintaining another 2 cars...
      01-05-2012, 05:44 PM   #21
marshyrob
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d 2017 M Sport

I get a kinda grinding/vibrating on the passanger side A pillar/footwell/dash when driving in winding conditions or in excess of 70mph. Drives me nuts but i just crank up the tunes, really annoys me though. Dealer said they couldnt hear anything excessive as per usual.....ill have a look for all these things you guys say here. One other thing i might check that i thought of while driving today, but then forgot, is the windscreen wiper plastic clip thing as it seems top be that area at times.....i think, lol!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 11:12 AM   #22
AdrianSi
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330d LCi MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich1068 View Post
I astounds me that these issues aren't properly investigated when an owner of a £30k+ car walks into a dealer and complains about something that is clearly driving them crackers. If my car broke down it would be taken to the dealer, the offending part replaced/mended, I'd pick it up, job done. I'd probably never give it a second thought. It's happened in the past with other brands. Why are dealers so out of the loop with Joe Public when it comes to the issues that spoil the enjoyment of a car every single day? Issues that may seriously discourage a buyer from looking at a particular marque again. Or at the very least writing off the entire dealer network as a bunch of incompetents.

I've had my dash rattle/squeak/noise/whatever for about 6 months now and the car has been back (at least) three times but each time the issue isn't sorted because of a lack of investigation by the dealer and the system in place with BMW regarding the time they can spend on the problem. I thought I was close the last time because the tech seemed to give a shit and he asked if he could drive my car home and back. Perfect I thought. In the end he didn't and some other numpty got it and when I picked it up it appeared all he'd done was wipe my OBC, pair his iPhone and crank the stereo volume up to 11. Obviously the noise reappeared within 20 yards of leaving the dealer.

At the moment I'm trying to ignore it. But that's only going to last so long.
Having read your thread regarding this and your clutch judder issues, have you spoke to BMW UK directly? You purchased your car brandnew haven't you? You must be a dissatisfied customer, and what's more is that you are unhappy with how the dealer is handling the case. Email BMW UK directly explaining all of this, and see how they wish to proceed with it.

Thing to remember is that we are they're current customers and potentially future customers... Especially with the arrival of the F30 models. Would you currently buy another BMW based upon you most recent experiences? Id be very pissed off in your shoes!
Appreciate 0