E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > iphone 5 specs

09-13-2012, 06:27 AM   #23
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
No analogue audio and no video at all on new dock, all airplay, so won't work with 99% of devices.

What a fuck up!!
They are in deep shit.

So all iphone kits for cars will be useless?
      09-13-2012, 06:29 AM   #24
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squintstream View Post
It's already on sale...at... Wait for it... £25 fooking quid!!!

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MD...apter#overview

It should work fine in the car (if you don't have a USB connector). But being an inch tall I foresee a lot of docking stations with a tall floppy iPhone perched on top.

Even after these flaws, I still see myself getting one. Partially due to it working with my iPad and allowing me to tether the Internet connection.
Read the print

* Video and iPod Out not supported.

If that is true, you will not be able to stream your music or videos via that.

Aftermarket companies have to come with airplay options on aftermarket devices to make things compatible with this.....
      09-13-2012, 07:09 AM   #25
RCUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 911 Turbo

If i cant use the new iphone for music in my car - then def wont be moving to it.

Could this see a spike in used price for the 4s as people realise new isnt always best?
      09-13-2012, 07:29 AM   #26
Subzero2003
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

When the 4S came out, many of my friends bought one and paid about £150 for the phone and £40 a month for the contract for 24 months. £1100 for an iPhone. I imagine the iPhone 5 will follow the same pricing as always.

When the Galaxy S3 came out, my gf got one for £22pm over 24 months with a free handset - total cost £520.

The Galaxy S3 can be had for less than half of what it costs for an iPhone 5. And it has far more features. I think Apple have rested on their laurels and this iPhone 5, which was repeatedly rumoured to blow the world away, has little more than a bigger screen over the equally disappointing 4S.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 08:19 AM   #27
ihpj
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330d M Sport

I'm not sure the new connector is entirely Apples fault. As a company Apple is all about pushing the boundaries and moving forwards. Sure it might alienate some and frustrate others, but they do appear to have a clear roadmap for their devices; it just might not make sense to us right now.

But the change in connector was always on the cards as technology never stays the same for too long. Car kits etc. will no doubt evolve for compatabilty, but the way the iPhone connects and talks to your car might also be changing? Moving away from wires and consoles and cradles and connectors...music over Bluetooth anyone?

I just feel that the whole 'OMFG they changed the connector' reaction is a little OTT.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 08:52 AM   #28
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihpj View Post
But the change in connector was always on the cards as technology never stays the same for too long. Car kits etc. will no doubt evolve for compatabilty, but the way the iPhone connects and talks to your car might also be changing? Moving away from wires and consoles and cradles and connectors...music over Bluetooth anyone?

I just feel that the whole 'OMFG they changed the connector' reaction is a little OTT.

Well Apple is American company and so the attitude.

Attitude is:
We'll do what we like and let the world follow us.

Although your comment make complete sense but in terms of cost effectiveness, it does not help many to buy their 'new' iphones first and spend another hundreds to get compatible device to stream you music and videos.

Now all the car kits, iphone compatible speakers and so on stuff should have 'air play' feature. Having said that all the aftermarket companies will be asking apple 'grant' to design such devices and make money on that.

And mind you, it is not going to be cheap initially.

The other bussiness minded monoply is to promote their 'air play' feature and their TV.

I have used Samsung, Nokia and Apple.
No doubt about it, that iphone has made me lazy and I would not like to go back to S3.

So I will stay with iphone 4s till there are compatible devices to run your music / videos on 'NEW' iphone.
      09-13-2012, 09:43 AM   #29
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Golf 7R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subzero2003 View Post
When the 4S came out, many of my friends bought one and paid about £150 for the phone and £40 a month for the contract for 24 months. £1100 for an iPhone. I imagine the iPhone 5 will follow the same pricing as always.

When the Galaxy S3 came out, my gf got one for £22pm over 24 months with a free handset - total cost £520.

The Galaxy S3 can be had for less than half of what it costs for an iPhone 5. And it has far more features. I think Apple have rested on their laurels and this iPhone 5, which was repeatedly rumoured to blow the world away, has little more than a bigger screen over the equally disappointing 4S.
I got mine on an 18 month contract for £18 per month. 900 minutes 700 texts unlimited data add on.

I asked the guy in the shop what the 5 would cost and he said "Apple will probably rape you as you usual".

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihpj View Post
I'm not sure the new connector is entirely Apples fault. As a company Apple is all about pushing the boundaries and moving forwards. Sure it might alienate some and frustrate others, but they do appear to have a clear roadmap for their devices; it just might not make sense to us right now.

That's all well and good but not everyone is driving or speccing a brand new car and it can already be quite expensive and complicated to get an iPod working in your car especially if you want track info displayed and control of tracks via the head unit or steering wheel. Most cars still don't even do this as standard so why would Apple be trying to move it on?

As a user of their computers for the last 20 years I can say that Apple do seem to be very faddy with their connectors. I've got a drawer at work full of various different connectors for monitors. Nearly every single Mac that I've bought has had a different monitor connection and nearly all of them have not been compatible with other manufacturers monitors. It's a pain in the arse. They don't even keep them consistent across their current range at any one time. I wouldn't be saying they have a clear roadmap for anything. They try things and if they don't work they drop them without any regard for the expense to the consumer.

As for music over bluetooth. Most phones have been able to do it for ages but the car manufacturers and third party devices aren't their to support it even though there is a demand.

I full understand peoples OMFG reaction. If I had a high end docking station that had cost me a couple of hundred quid and had spent near on £200 getting something like a DICE system fitted in my car i'd be pretty pissed off.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 10:17 AM   #30
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

I have a Meridian M80 in the bedroom, conservatory and office, £1500 each.
They use the analogue out of the 30 pin dock, which is no more.

2010 BMW 530d with the Y Cable, going to need some other adapter designing to make it work, when will BMW get round to this? or some 3rd party?

Mercedes with Nav, again uses analogue. Great!

It may turn up tomorrow, if it does great, but really poor launch from Apple imho.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 10:48 AM   #31
AlanYoro35i
Senior Troll
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Coming soon-718 Cayman S

just got myself the new iphone =]

Now: 718 Cayman GTS / F83 M4
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 02:07 PM   #32
ihpj
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
As for music over bluetooth. Most phones have been able to do it for ages but the car manufacturers and third party devices aren't their to support it even though there is a demand.

I full understand peoples OMFG reaction. If I had a high end docking station that had cost me a couple of hundred quid and had spent near on £200 getting something like a DICE system fitted in my car i'd be pretty pissed off.
As you say yourself, citing music over BT not being supported by car manufacturers, then surely the same applies to the new dock connector. If one bought (invested) in a high end audio dock from a third party, I suggest it's not Apple's fault that the third party doesn't support it - surely it's down to the third party to move with the new paradigm. Furthermore, just because Apple produce a new standard, it doesn't mean one has to adopt it now; but given their commitment to this new connector it's likely more and more of their products will support it and it will overtime become the deafacto standard (provided they don't change their minds!).

Change is never nice, but that's what technology and firms like Apple are about. And just to balance this, I would like to point out that I'm not happy about the lack of LTE portability between the US networks and UK. I spend a fair amount of time between the two countries and I really hoped I could use a SIM free iPhone 5 in both countries to its full potential. I'm debating if I should buy the UK version and use or the US - not sure :0/

And no I don't blame Apple for this ;o)
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 02:09 PM   #33
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 02:27 PM   #34
FRG
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 325d M Sport

I was all set for preordering one tomorrow but I'm not sure now after reading this thread. The issue with the dock not supporting audio out is a complete bastard in my opinion. The £40 BMW lead is useless if I get the iphone5 unless I keep this one as an iPod or buy an iPod?!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 02:50 PM   #35
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

I really think this must just be a bit of misinformation on the Apple site. It would just be suh poor judgement of them not to support audio over this connector. We must all be missing something.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 03:12 PM   #36
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
I really think this must just be a bit of misinformation on the Apple site. It would just be suh poor judgement of them not to support audio over this connector. We must all be missing something.
Sad part is, nothing is missing here.

See on American side, and none is happy.
      09-13-2012, 03:16 PM   #37
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Sooner or later, there will be a solution.
      09-13-2012, 04:56 PM   #38
Squintstream
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 435i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
Sad part is, nothing is missing here.

See on American side, and none is happy.
Towards the end of the US thread people are starting to say that it will only be video that is affected and not music

Apparently the connector may have a chip in it (which accounts for the higher cost vs a standard lighting cable)

But will let somebody else try this before splashing out
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 05:07 PM   #39
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squintstream View Post

But will let somebody else try this before splashing out
That is exactly what I thought. Waiting for its launch and will be asking apple staff.
      09-13-2012, 05:23 PM   #40
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

Hopefully it is a digital to analogue converter, however, will still fall over in most docks.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 05:24 PM   #41
Billyray911
Brigadier General
Venezuela
Rep
Drives: Blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00
Sooner or later, there will be a solution.
And,I think I'll wait until the issues have been sorted,one way or the other.If not,I'll be looking elsewhere.
Bit of a disappointment really,but I'm glad that this thread has highlighted the issues!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 05:38 AM   #42
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyray911 View Post
Bit of a disappointment really,but I'm glad that this thread has highlighted the issues!

I make you right there mate. Bit of disappointment from the apple.

People were saying, iphone5 would be phone of the century.

Have a laugh.
      09-14-2012, 07:37 AM   #43
BanziBarn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D E90 LCI Msport

Funny video further up. With people like that, phone makers have it easy!

We've got to the stage now where there isn't really anything new you can put on a phone - all you can do is to make what is there, better. So, these releases are bound to be a bit under whelming.

If you couple that with the fact that other manufacturers have now caught up with apple (with the help of Google) I think it's the end to the 'WOW that's amazing" Iphone launch.

The only totally new things which I can see coming onto phones in the near future are laser projectors (I was surprised about the lack of NFC though).

For me, the next big step will be 4G - where the network will be as fast as the actual handset - it should make anything you do on the phone instant, which will be quite a step forward IMO.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2148&pictureid=44259
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 07:53 AM   #44
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
Hopefully it is a digital to analogue converter, however, will still fall over in most docks.
Supposedly it is.
Appreciate 0