E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Add another USB port

01-31-2014, 04:15 PM   #1
washere
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 E93

Add another USB port

First off, I am a new BMW owner, and new to the board, so my questions are kinda newbie (for now):

I know this has been discussed before, and I searched, but couldn't really fit it all together.
I have a 2013 E93, and I would like to add a 2nd USB device (I know I can't use the glove box USB port).
I have an iphone which I run apps on, and I have a thumb drive that has the rest of my music on it (which is 60GB, so it will not fit on the internal drive. I want to run both at the same time.

What I have tried:
-Adding a non-powered USB hub (It sort of worked, but then just quit working after a few minutes).
-Using the glove box port (I didn't expect this to work, but I tried anyway.)

What I have not tried:
-using the cradle. I have an iPhone 4 cradle in my car (but I have an iphone 5s), so I thought about trying to use some sort of converter cable on the cradle to make it work.
-Switching to the iphone 5 cradle. I really don't want to do this because I want to have the phone handly to get in and out of the car with. The cradle is a pain to use since it doesn't fit with a case, and it requires constantly taking it in and out.

What I am curious about:
Someone said there was some sort of second USB port on the CIC. How does that work, and can I use this somehow?
Appreciate 0