E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Hurricane Sandy - Got my car back from insurance

01-07-2013, 02:23 PM   #67
lorinser
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 black/black

What does crank gone mean?
I don't know! My father was home to collect the car when it was delivered. They told him they are unable to use the gift shifter bc the crank/crank shaft? is shot/gone/doesn't work.

Something is fishy yes. My guess is copart guys thought the car was a scrap from the hurricane and didnt care about it, all the while it wasn't a scrap.

So you're saying removing the gear shifter like the way they did is completely unnecessary? I'm sure parts were stolen. Hence missing Amp too
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 02:29 PM   #68
lorinser
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Edit: copart was just holding my car.
Insurance was filled with thousands of Sandy claims and they have contract with copart to hold cars there and they'll be told what to do with it, scrap or return.

Best guess is those guys had a field day with my ride
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 02:36 PM   #69
pepsih
Captain
Rep
Drives: f02, e24

I ACTUALLY THought that thoses pics were taken on november before they took your car. feel sorry for you man
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 02:39 PM   #70
gunsekun
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

I wouldnt even want to drive that car... I will call the police and get this investigated! Someone needs to go behind bars for this,.... and get their ass raped
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 02:45 PM   #71
BMWSOZE
Smooth Operator
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335I

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorinser View Post
I spoke with my claim rep, calmly. No threats or signs of anger. I need to get what I need first, docs. They sent out a field adjuster to see the car tomorrow. They said they have no idea what happened at copart but yes all evidence is there and documented. I'm trying to get copies, plus my own documents of before damage.
Legal steps probably wont be needed, just get that documentation! Curious to see how next step pans out
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 11:43 AM   #72
lorinser
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I have a little update from the field rep.
This is what Copart did to my car

1) potentially stole the connection between the start push button and ignition, and that's why car won't start. Potentially...if not case then bigger problems in engine
2) entire console doesn't fit properly back into place. Center console and radio area/nav needs to be replaced
3) HiFi amp to be replaced bc gone
4) toolbox gone
5) needs detail inside and out because cant see dents or scratches bc it's so dirty

Edit: 6) body damage in quarter panels, bumpers, hood

He said to take it to dealer and see about ignition switch and if that's the problem. And go from there. They will cover all costs and I pay 0 costs.
However my concern is copart. This is criminal, and he said they would have to pay up, not to me but to insurance.

Frankly I don't even want the car anymore but need this taken care of.
Anything I can do to copart? I'm told no and it's their problem.

Insurance is going to go into a settlement case with copart. If somehow they lose, I Will have to pay my $1k deductible.....

Last edited by lorinser; 01-08-2013 at 12:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 11:57 AM   #73
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

note to self: never do business with Copart.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 12:01 PM   #74
Gonzo1088
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i

This sucks completely I hope the best for you and your ride ! Keep us updated and GL
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 12:07 PM   #75
Jake@MOTIV
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i, 335i

I say get the local news involved. You'd be surprised what happens when incidents like this go public. It puts pressure on companies to "do the right thing". There isn't a chance in the world I would want this car after what it has been through. I would expect a check for its value in dealer pricing as that is what you would have to spend to replace it.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 12:08 PM   #76
crashoverride
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: na

Unfortunately it's a breech of contract between the insurance company and Copart. The insurance company in no way will total the car so the car will just be made whole/repaired.

Not sure how the conversation went with the insurance company but if they're paying to get the car detailed I would get the car top to bottom detailed...engine bay, paint correction carpet shampoo. the whole nine yards plus....

I'm still a bit confused by this story why would someone take the odds and end parts out of this car.... Why is an auction scrapper company looking at the worthiness of a car why for a full month? Why not come to your house etc...
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 12:11 PM   #77
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

Quote:

1) potentially stole the connection between the start push button and ignition, and that's why car won't start. Potentially...if not case then bigger problems in engine
2) entire console doesn't fit properly back into place. Center console and radio area/nav needs to be replaced
4) toolbox gone
5) needs detail inside and out because cant see dents or scratches bc it's so dirty

He said to take it to dealer and see about ignition switch and if that's the problem. And go from there. They will cover all costs and I pay 0 costs.
However my concern is copart. This is criminal, and he said they would have to pay up, not to me but to insurance.

Insurance is going to go into a settlement case with copart. If somehow they lose, I Will have to pay my $1k deductible.....
The insurance co is trying to find the cheapest way out. They should write you a check for the value when it was picked up since the vehicle will ever be the same. I would file a claim against the ins co for the vehicle and intentional damage. You should get compensated for the vehicle + the time without your vehicle + the criminal act. It's time to get a lawyer. I wouldn't touch the vehicle.

GL

Last edited by Mavus; 01-08-2013 at 12:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 12:12 PM   #78
Turb0Surge
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BLACK e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
note to self: never do business with Copart.
I work with Copart on a regular basis and they are good at doing what they do. You have to understand that they are an auto auction dealing with selling damaged/ totalled/ and salvaged cars. A lot of the cars that come in ARE NOT EVEN DRIVE ABLE. What they do is they use a forklift to pick up the car and to take it into the lot. (A lot of times they damage the undercarriage by doing so- because the workers don't seem to give a sh*t 'cause the car is messed up anyway)

Their lot is open to the general public (at a fee) to come by and look at any car they see online that is up for auction. A lot of the time thieves use this as an opportunity to steal small things from the car that they need.

I don't know what happened with your car but you should definitely get it checked out. (make sure you look at the undercarriage also)
      01-08-2013, 12:12 PM   #79
gunsekun
Banned
Rep

Was this a little favor to total the vehicle?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 12:13 PM   #80
gunsekun
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turb0Surge View Post
I work with Copart on a regular basis and they are good at doing what they do. You have to understand that they are an auto auction dealing with selling damaged/ totalled/ and salvaged cars. A lot of the cars that come in ARE NOT EVEN DRIVE ABLE. What they do is they use a forklift to pick up the car and to take it into the lot. (A lot of times they damage the undercarriage by doing so- because the workers don't seem to give a sh*t 'cause the car is messed up anyway)

Their lot is open to the general public (at a fee) to come by and look at any car they see online that is up for auction. A lot of the time thieves use this as an opportunity to steal small things from the car that they need.

I don't know what happened with your car but you should definitely get it checked out. (make sure you look at the undercarriage also)
work with Copart on a regular basis and they are good at doing what they do

WTF...obviously they are not good at what they are doing..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 12:17 PM   #81
Turb0Surge
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsekun View Post
work with Copart on a regular basis and they are good at doing what they do

WTF...obviously they are not good at what they are doing..

That's 'cause that's not what they do. They are a salvage auto auction. It's fishy that OP's insurance even gave the car to Copart.
      01-08-2013, 12:44 PM   #82
lorinser
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

So judging from responses.
I need the car checked out thoroughly, probably from my dealer.
Insurance happened to be in cooperation with my nj dealer already, he said have them take a look at it, send estimates as well, and see what needs to be fixed and what costs are.

Or. Leave car as is. Contact a lawyer.
But maybe have BMW check it out as well

I should call that guy from fox 5. The "shame shame shame" guy. But in all seriousness,

Thanks for help
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 12:53 PM   #83
Turb0Surge
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So judging from responses.
I need the car checked out thoroughly, probably from my dealer.
Insurance happened to be in cooperation with my nj dealer already, he said have them take a look at it, send estimates as well, and see what needs to be fixed and what costs are.

Or. Leave car as is. Contact a lawyer.
But maybe have BMW check it out as well

I should call that guy from fox 5. The "shame shame shame" guy. But in all seriousness,

Thanks for help

Keep us updated. I still think insurance messed up by (maybe accidentally) sending your car to Copart. But hey, that's just my opinion.
      01-08-2013, 01:12 PM   #84
bsamoul
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

You don't need to get the car checked out, your insurance does. I wouldn't even TOUCH the car, if I were you. Call them up, tell them to take it to the dealer and have the dealer and insurance talk. Insurance wants you to be the middle man. That's not your responsibility.

Once you get a high figure of the cost, insurance will try to tell you to fix it, in which case you go to the news and have them run the story. Insurance is trying to take the easy way out of this, and making you do a lot of the work they should be doing. I don't think copart has anything to do with this, because I believe the car was mistakenly taken to them, and was looted like it was a junked car. It shouldn't have ever been brought there; which is a fault laying on your insurance company.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 01:54 PM   #85
koss2010
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 335i coupe

I would seriously do two things.
1. Go to the news outlets, you have a great story for them to run. Sandy victim now insurance victim!

2. TALK to a lawyer atleast, I seriously think you need some legal advise for something like this, its very easy for the insurance company to call the shots and look out for their own good. You need someone who is looking out for your well being. This is unacceptable and their should be legal/criminal charges for this.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 02:01 PM   #86
Envuks
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 e92 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorinser

4) toolbox gone

My $.02 here. It sounds like they are making you whole. Get the car fixed, if you don't want it after it's fixed, sell it.

If you change your mind, keep it. It is the insurance company's beef with the car storage place now. I know you're mad, but it's no longer your issue.

Get every little dent and scratch fixed. Make the car look and function perfectly.

Release the anger and let it go because at the ed of the day you're getting taken care of. Yes, it's a horrible thing to go through. No, it shouldn't have happened and is inexcusable. However, insurance will take up the issue with the storage place and they are covering you.

Just be sure the car gets fixed back to tip top shape and keep the pressure on your insurance company if it does not.

No need for you to go after the storage place for revenge. That's only going to end badly for you.

18" BBS RGRs, KW v1, ESS Stage 2 flash, VRSF 7" FMIC, VRSF downpipes, JG Mods m-tech front, mtec V3 AEs, BMS OCC, hardwired valentine 1, p3cars gauge, amber delete, sport seats, factory oil cooler.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 02:01 PM   #87
StevenY.
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10' SG e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorinser

Thanks for help
I was thinking the same, you should call the shame, shame, shame guy on fox 5. You'll probably get things settled quickly after its been on the news.

I do agree with the post above though. At this point since they agree with paying for everything to be fixed, you should just go for it. I understand that you don't want to own the car anymore since it has been violated but you could sell it after everything is all fixed and back to the way it was.
      01-08-2013, 02:03 PM   #88
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

Ask for a free rental, and that they take care of everything. You don't want to see that car again before it looks pristine out of the dealership, or you want a check for the pristine value of the car so you can get another one. It was in good condition before, there is no way they return to you a looted junk, and you have to spend time and money getting it fixed.
Appreciate 0