E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Help! Eibach Coilover Install Question

06-27-2013, 02:53 AM   #1
Suntzu
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 330i 2005

Exclamation Help! Eibach Coilover Install Question

I really need help with this urgently. The suspension shop fitting the coilovers for the E90 fitted the front ok, but they are stuck on the rears coils. My car is on a hoist in the shop until tomorrow when they are threatening to put the stock suspension back on!

The adjustable top threaded piece that sits on the spring does not fit into the oem stock metal spring-cup The new black metal piece is too large.

The instructions on page 12 says “ the original upper spring support has to be removed” on page 12 of the instructions. See here:

This is the part that's too large to fit the cup

I tried to move the old black upper metal spring support it but it feels welded in?? Is it because of the 8 year old frame? Can we force this parts removal and is that the correct thing to do? Do we apply force to that old black metal spring cup? If they do get it off - do I use a rubber cup in between the frame and the new part? Or is it like this image I found in the forums - metal to metal:

Or have I received the wrong kit? I check the label and– it looks like I have 65-20-013-01-22 - Eibach Pro Street S for e90 - which should be right. There is a very similar part number 65-20-014-01-22 but I have the former number.

I did a quick search here but cant find the right keywords to look properly.

As far as know the install is the same as the KWv1 if that helps.

Appreciate any comments please. I'm in a real bind without a car and I'm not sure the suspension shop is competent.

Thanks heaps
russ
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 11:21 AM   #2
CALWATERBOY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntzu View Post
I really need help with this urgently. The suspension shop fitting the coilovers for the E90 fitted the front ok, but they are stuck on the rears coils. My car is on a hoist in the shop until tomorrow when they are threatening to put the stock suspension back on!

The adjustable top threaded piece that sits on the spring does not fit into the oem stock metal spring-cup The new black metal piece is too large.

Installed mine w/threaded top adjust by first removing stock cup. Tap a flat bladed screwdriver tip between cup & frame - pops right out. Inserted new - had an o-ring that kept it in during reassembly. Part of Ground Control Street/School pkg.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 02:46 AM   #3
Suntzu
Private
Rep

Yep !

Thanks. That did it. These guys were ..clowns. (cheap install though at $300)

I told them to do what you said and they got the pro-street installed.

They told me to return the coilovers (to the Netherlands) as they were "wrong " initially..so they thought.

Saved my self a heap of trouble because of valuable members like yourself CALWATERBOY.

cheers
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2013, 01:32 AM   #4
Suntzu
Private
Rep

OK all installed. Review is up in my other thread. They did a crap job on ride height.

Can someone quickly tell me if its counter-clockwise or clockwise to raise the rear suspension??

I have eibach pro street buts its identical to KW v1 in the body.

thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2013, 02:06 AM   #5
Suntzu
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntzu View Post
OK all installed. Review is up in my other thread. They did a crap job on ride height.

Can someone quickly tell me if its counter-clockwise or clockwise to raise the rear suspension??

I have eibach pro street buts its identical to KW v1 in the body.

thanks in advance
I worked it out..the hard way...counter-clockwise in the rear lowers to car. Try again!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 05:18 AM   #6
Suntzu
Private
Rep

Hey guys. Given this is the same setup as the KW1, can anyone tell me how to set the safe max height?

The manual (same as KW1) says that the max at the rear is 35mm between top and bottom of the threaded body in the rears.

Buy thats leaving my car pretty low.

Any tips for getting the max clearance??

Last edited by Suntzu; 07-15-2013 at 05:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 05:56 AM   #7
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4cs | 2022 M550i

The Eibach and KW are not the same setups. Doesn't the eibach kit come with a manual that advises on the safe range of adjustment? If not, call them and they will advise since they build their own product.
Appreciate 0