E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > all mechanics created equal?

08-08-2007, 10:05 PM   #1
doinoyou79
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW G05 X5 xDrive50i

Garage List
all mechanics created equal?

so my cousin's '02 LEXUS IS300 crapped out on him this morning on his way to work. had to have it flatbedded to the dealership. found out that the catalytic converters were 'fried'. estimate = just under $3000! so we got into an argument cuz he last took it to a local mechanic that runs a lil' shop in town. the owner is somewhat of a family friend and always does checkups on the car free of charge. but i've never trusted my cars with him. but my cousin does. i guess he recently had one of the catalytic converters replaced there with an aftermarket one. so needless to say, it didn't last very long. anyway, i told him that i would never trust that guy. but he defended him. and continued to make the argument that a mechanic is a mechanic and they are equally qualified to work on any car, domestic or import. my opinion is that i wouldn't trust just anyone on my foreign luxury ride, regardless of if it's a lexus or BMW or any other brand. i feel they have more specialized training compared to the standard mechanic that would normally get their training on domestic cars. do i have an argument or am i just paranoid about my cars???

any thoughts?
      08-08-2007, 10:07 PM   #2
///Matt
United States Marine
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Dodge Ram 1500

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
You're right, and so is he. Kinda.

A mechanic is a mechanic.

But I'm not a mechanic. I'm a Technician. And you want a Technician working on a technologically advanced luxury vehicle. A mechanic is fine for a basic american, or base model import.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2007, 10:35 PM   #3
jasonn
JDM Slut
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 e90 335i

Garage List
You're right that someone specialized is more suited for certain cars. However your cousin is also right that a mechanic is just a mechanic. However, regarding the cat issue, your cousin might have just gotten a shitty cat that crapped out on him early. It doesn't cost 3k to replace a cat. You can go aftermarket with a reputable brand like random technology and just weld the cat on for fraction of what the estimate is at.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2007, 07:22 AM   #4
HyperM3
Too many Alex's, from now on, call me Beaufort
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Sig

Because Ive done all the mods and fixings to my cars and motorcycles, does that make me a mechanic? Only with the word "shadetree" in front of it. I have no certifications but I have people who I hardly know trusting me to work on their cars. Maybe its because I have something to show faith(my cars that are still running) that I know what Im doing.

That being said, most OEM exhaust systems are warrantied for 7yr/100k miles. How come his first one wasnt replaced by the dealer?
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2007, 09:30 AM   #5
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Wide Body 1

I spent 10 years working as a mechanic in the commercial aviation industry which I consider to be a bit more “technical” and critical then the automotive field, maintenance-wise. One thing is for sure, not all mechanics are created equal.

If you have spent anytime around a large group of mechanics doing similar jobs you will see that some are gifted “wrenches”, others are fantastic trouble shooters, and some just follow the manual and throw parts at it.

At the end of the day, all the certificates, qualifications, tools, specializations, etc. won’t mean squat unless you are working with a good and ethical mechanic.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2007, 09:39 AM   #6
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Wide Body 1

And the guy picking up garbage in front of my house is not a garbage man, he's a Maintenance Sanitation Technician.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2007, 10:49 AM   #7
///Matt
United States Marine
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Dodge Ram 1500

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magna3 View Post
And the guy picking up garbage in front of my house is not a garbage man, he's a Maintenance Sanitation Technician.
lol. who also makes more than the mayor in my city.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2007, 12:10 PM   #8
bartman32
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
Not all mechanics are alike! I wouldn't trust just anyone with my car. I used to take my car to this guy before driving schools. We did some simple rooter/pad changes. I go to the track and the pads are litterially shreading themselves! Pieces flying off, dust everywhere, etc! Braking is getting longer and they are getting hotter and I'm getting sick in my car. The new slotted rooters were eating right through the soft pads.

Luckily there was another mechanic at the track. He changed my pads and my fluid between sessions. Didn't miss a beat and went out there and enjoyed the rest of my weekend! I always say that the guy at the track literially saved my life! (Imagine what would have happened if I kept going like I was!) This guy happened to live close to me and is my new mechanic.

Moral to the story - people do things differently and you should go with who you trust!
Appreciate 0