Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > 328xi Runflats - repair or replace?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

07-28-2008, 07:36 PM   #1
greg2step
X3 Owner/Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Garage List
328xi Runflats - repair or replace?

So on the way home (less than 1mile from the house, I apparently drove over a snapped off bolt which punctured my back left tire - drive the last half mile i heard it, and then the tire pressure sensor went off. The thing is pretty big, but did hit in between 2 treadbars in the middle of the tire - a spot that is definately repairable on a non-runflat.

Question - can this tire be fixed, or do they replace it? if they replace it, what happens as far as tire diameter that should be the same on all 4 tires on an AWD car? on my last AWD car (2003 VW passat 4motion) i lost a tire at 17k and replaced all 4...

the car is a 2008 E91 328xit, about 9100 miles. its the 16" wheels (do not have the sports package) - tires are Bridgestone runflats standard on the 2008 328i/xi.

the good news, when I bought the car in Dec 07, I had alot of uncertainly about runflat tires, and ended up buying the tire/wheel coverage for a premium from the dealer. I suspect the payoff will come tomorrow if they need to replace the tire.

any insight on the repairability of these tires would help.

Greg
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2008, 01:51 PM   #2
greg2step
X3 Owner/Driver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
service center replaced 1 tire - good news is with the road hazard policy i bought w/ the car, i didn't have to pay another penny. apparently the hole was too big to safely patch
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2008, 02:04 PM   #3
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg2step View Post
service center replaced 1 tire - good news is with the road hazard policy i bought w/ the car, i didn't have to pay another penny. apparently the hole was too big to safely patch
Was this a dealer that did the replacement? you should make absolutely sure the overall diameter of all 4 tires is within manufacturer specs or you ruin your differentials in short order.

I've replaced 3 serviceable tires in addition to the damaged tire on my previous AWD car (WRX) rather than risk differential damage
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2008, 10:24 AM   #4
greg2step
X3 Owner/Driver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Nazareno View Post
Was this a dealer that did the replacement? you should make absolutely sure the overall diameter of all 4 tires is within manufacturer specs or you ruin your differentials in short order.

I've replaced 3 serviceable tires in addition to the damaged tire on my previous AWD car (WRX) rather than risk differential damage
Yes the tire replacement was done by a BMW service center, the location I bought my car.

I'm not sure what i can do to verify the specs, i do know the last time i researched this I found it another option is to have the new tire shaved to match the existing tires, I'm going to research if there is any local options to have that done.

If not if something breaks on the differentials, then they can fix that too.

Not sure I really have a choice, the consensus of those I showed what I drove over say the hole was likely too big to be fixed. Also i bought the road hazard package so I don't have to lay out a ton of $$$ for tire/wheel repairs
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2008, 11:16 PM   #5
BMW MotorSport
Banned
Rep
Drives: 95 Avus M3 and 07 E90 Fam Car!

time to upgrade to new 19 inch wheels and tires. For the cost of 1 run flat you can have 4 high performance 19 inch tires.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2008, 09:42 AM   #6
greg2step
X3 Owner/Driver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
i think my thread was spammed
Appreciate 0