E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Newbie Tuning/Dealership Question (Be gentle)

03-16-2012, 01:18 PM   #1
Big Baldy
Big Bald & Grumpy
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91 318d Wagon

Talking Newbie Tuning/Dealership Question (Be gentle)

Greetings earthlings.

I'm a newbie to the site and to life with an E91. My new company car is a 318d touring exclusive edition and as much as I love it I'd like a little more poke!

My issue with getting it tuned (Remapped, Bluefin'd or tuning box) is will the dealer be able to tell whenever it gets plugged into their computer? I'd hate to get into a load of bother at work so is it worth it?

I was also told to use one key for the daily driving and one for trips to the dealer as the keys are like a small scale black box recorder. Is this true or just plain old BS???

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 02:01 PM   #2
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Baldy View Post
Greetings earthlings.

I'm a newbie to the site and to life with an E91. My new company car is a 318d touring exclusive edition and as much as I love it I'd like a little more poke!

My issue with getting it tuned (Remapped, Bluefin'd or tuning box) is will the dealer be able to tell whenever it gets plugged into their computer? I'd hate to get into a load of bother at work so is it worth it?

I was also told to use one key for the daily driving and one for trips to the dealer as the keys are like a small scale black box recorder. Is this true or just plain old BS???

Thanks in advance!

Yes.

If the dealer has to carry out any warranty work, the first course of action the dealer takes (should take) is to 'plug' the car in and the files are sent across to BMW AG.
Regardless of the tuning method (remap,tuning box etc) it will be evident to BMW that the ECU has been modified, even if any fault codes have been removed.
Dependent on what warranty work is required,the feedback from BMW AG will determine whether it's carried out.
If any form of ECU altering is discovered, and this could be demonstrated to be the possible cause of your problems, the warranty work could be denied.
Your car will also be 'redflagged' as having been modified.

Is it worth it? Your call I'm afraid

The keys tell the dealer a multitude of things,and are plugged in to a unit on the service desk.Generally the info the SA is looking for are things such as service items that need doing - Oil,filter,micro filter etc.

I can't see any benefit from swopping keys for a trip to the dealer,as soon as you use it the same info as your other key has is automatically transferred to the other key with the exception of preferential settings that the key may have stored (electric seat positions for example).

BS in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 02:35 PM   #3
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

Totally agree with Hotcoupe. And if you did decide to throw caution to the wind as far as mapping is concerned I think you may find your choices are limited. The Exclusive Edition is quite recent (like my Sport Plus) and as yet mapping via the OBD can't be done.

And can I just say that Anthracite Bamboo is by far my favourite dash trim
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 03:36 PM   #4
Big Baldy
Big Bald & Grumpy
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91 318d Wagon

Good evening gentlemen and thank you!!!

Firstly, my remap fears would seem to be well founded so there shall be no breathing on my little diesel lump. Secondly the key. It did sound rather big brother-ish didn't it?

Finally, yes the Anthracite Bamboo is pretty sh1t hot.

Once again and many thanks. I'm sure that I'll enjoy the site as well as the car.
Appreciate 0