E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Simple ipod Aux cable?

04-04-2008, 08:02 AM   #23
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
Not sure why people keep saying this.

There is a 6FL retrofit kit http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...L+USB+Retrofit

I even got as far as ordering it before the dealer realised it wasn't compatible with my radio ('Professional'). This was a while back, there might be an option available now that is compatible for me.

My dealer didn't even know what the kit was until I waved the part number at them.

Failing that, there is the factory fitted iPod interface kit, your dealer will know all about it, its not fantastic but it works pretty well - it's what I ended up getting.

If you dont want to go the BMW route there is a company called Denison who make a product called the Gateway 500 which also provides a proper iPod interface.

There are a number of other iPod for BMW interfaces you can find on the web, they pretty much all seem to be incompatible with the E9x series although some of the companies / resellers are not clear on the topic - avoid these.
The USB retro-fit does not appear to be a true 6fl retro fit.

Instead it seems to be simply the dealer fit ipod connection plus a USB port. The USB port is not configured for IPODs in the same way as the 6fl factory fit option.

It would be fine if you just wanted to play tracks from a compatible USB key, but for IPOD's it's still nowhere near as good as the factory fit USB.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 04:17 PM   #24
eimer3107
Rep
Drives: E93 320i M Sport Le Mans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed View Post
The only functionality via the wheel and the stereo is to increase or decrease volume.

The best cable is the monster low profile car charger:

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Elec...n/Product.html

You also need a 3.5mm to 3.5mm phono cable - surprisingly difficult to find but Currys should have a few in stock:
I've been using this solution for around six months, originally while I decided what to do about a more integrated solution (the dealer told me I wouldn't be able to see the iPOD menu on the iDrive screen with USB input ! They later offered me a discounted aftermarket solution, but it was expensive even with the discount and I thought appeared quite clunky to use). I'm pleased with the Monster/phono lead solution, and at present have decided not to look for an alternative option.

I bought my phono cable off the internet, partly because I wanted a shorter cable than I could find in the shops. Also, if Curry's have them on display, you'll obviously be fine, because you can find what you want for yourself, but they tried to sell me cables which definitely weren't what I was looking for ! (heard the word "iPOD" and assumed they knew what i wanted better than I did myself !)
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 05:44 PM   #25
335DJim
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335D Coupe

Best and easiest way to do it IMHO is to use Nero and burn MP3's to DVD with tags - this way you get all the track details and can control/skip as per a CD but with 4GB of space instead of 650mb.. I have 6hrs of music on a single DVD so who needs a CD changer!..
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2008, 05:02 AM   #26
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by eimer3107 View Post
I've been using this solution for around six months, originally while I decided what to do about a more integrated solution (the dealer told me I wouldn't be able to see the iPOD menu on the iDrive screen with USB input !
Sadly this is right .. the USB retro fit does not seem to provide the ipod navigation and integration that you get with the factory fit option.

I have an 80 gig ipod with about 7000 tracks. I'd be overjoyed if I could get a proper retro fit of the 6fl option, but it's not possible yet.
Appreciate 0