E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > does the 335Xi have the option to be RWD like an STI?

01-17-2011, 03:49 PM   #155
ScotcH
e36 M3 -> e46 M3 -> e91 328Xi :(
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328XiT

If you want to put a switch on, why not figure out the wiring going to the actual transfer case, instead of the fuse box? There must be powere supplied to some actuator that does teh actual engagement., Cut the power to that, and it should diable the FWD, without all the other issues (unless that due to diagnostics triggerering all the other stuff, like wipers). Haven't looked into this at all ... just off the top of my head
      01-19-2011, 03:39 PM   #156
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotcH View Post
If you want to put a switch on, why not figure out the wiring going to the actual transfer case, instead of the fuse box? There must be powere supplied to some actuator that does teh actual engagement., Cut the power to that, and it should diable the FWD, without all the other issues (unless that due to diagnostics triggerering all the other stuff, like wipers). Haven't looked into this at all ... just off the top of my head
I doubt that would work.....you would need to disable EBD, at the least, as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 07:31 PM   #157
sk8board511
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 E90-Bikes on bikes on bikes

alright on the N52 can someone post a picture or tell me where fuse 20 is, or how to find it
      02-01-2011, 11:07 AM   #158
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8board511 View Post
alright on the N52 can someone post a picture or tell me where fuse 20 is, or how to find it
There's a little fuse diagram on the fuse door....It's a white cardboard type pamphlet.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 11:19 AM   #159
aakrusen
To Punish and Enslave
Rep
Drives: with both hands on the wheel

Garage List
2008 M3 E92  [9.00]
There was a popular mod (it was popular for about a week) where people were modifying their light switch to allow the already wired rear fogs to work. The "blank" located on the light switch was turned into a switch (although it did not light up) and people were now able to use the rear fogs not intended for the U.S.

Here's a pic and a link to that popular mod:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ear+fog+lights

Now that I've set the stage here's what I want.

Let's do that "mod" but with one of the buttons on the lower console (see pic) for this AWD to RWD switch. I'm not sure it the buttons will work the same as the fog light mod but it does give us a great location since this spot is not used. Also, I want someone to set it up so that it's on a relay system so it resets back to normal when the car is turned off.

With all options from left to right:
- Driver heated seat
- PDC control (for front PDC, rear is automatic and doesn't require a button)
- Rear roller sunblind/visor
- Hill Descent Control (x drive only)
- BLANK
- Passenger heated seat
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 11:59 AM   #160
orangedawg
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Although I admit I have not read this entire thread, I'd like to add this bit of info. My situation is different in that currently my xdive system is not working (I think it's the transfer case servo motor that is toast on mine, BT error says something like transfer case - clutch position unknown). Anyway, I've been driving aorund in 2wd for about 6 months. ABS, DSC, cruise, and 4x4 don't work. Everything else works fine (wipers, brake lights, speedo, odo, etc.). I've got a few codes thrown. Those codes can be cleared using Bav Tech. If someone is really adventurous, you could splice into transfer case wiring that goes to the servo motor and put your switch in there. Not advocating that at all, but just thought I'd throw that out there. Not sure what that would do about errors, etc., but my xdrive hasn't worked for months but everything else (other than Christmas tree error lights) is fine. Just Fyi.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 04:55 PM   #161
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangedawg View Post
Although I admit I have not read this entire thread, I'd like to add this bit of info. My situation is different in that currently my xdive system is not working (I think it's the transfer case servo motor that is toast on mine, BT error says something like transfer case - clutch position unknown). Anyway, I've been driving aorund in 2wd for about 6 months. ABS, DSC, cruise, and 4x4 don't work. Everything else works fine (wipers, brake lights, speedo, odo, etc.). I've got a few codes thrown. Those codes can be cleared using Bav Tech. If someone is really adventurous, you could splice into transfer case wiring that goes to the servo motor and put your switch in there. Not advocating that at all, but just thought I'd throw that out there. Not sure what that would do about errors, etc., but my xdrive hasn't worked for months but everything else (other than Christmas tree error lights) is fine. Just Fyi.
I have a feeling that you can't just do that. You'll probably need to reinitialize the motor or something.

And I wouldn't keep clearing those codes. Your car needs to know there's something wrong all the time. If you clear them, your car will try to operate normally at start up. Those codes are thrown because something is wrong and without theses codes your car may try to activate other components related to the faulty system and could damage them aswell.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 10:11 AM   #162
issabmw
cool beans
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by aakrusen View Post
There was a popular mod (it was popular for about a week) where people were modifying their light switch to allow the already wired rear fogs to work. The "blank" located on the light switch was turned into a switch (although it did not light up) and people were now able to use the rear fogs not intended for the U.S.

Here's a pic and a link to that popular mod:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ear+fog+lights

Now that I've set the stage here's what I want.

Let's do that "mod" but with one of the buttons on the lower console (see pic) for this AWD to RWD switch. I'm not sure it the buttons will work the same as the fog light mod but it does give us a great location since this spot is not used. Also, I want someone to set it up so that it's on a relay system so it resets back to normal when the car is turned off.

With all options from left to right:
- Driver heated seat
- PDC control (for front PDC, rear is automatic and doesn't require a button)
- Rear roller sunblind/visor
- Hill Descent Control (x drive only)
- BLANK
- Passenger heated seat
Bumping an old thread, but I like this idea. Having the AWD switch next to the hill decent control is a great idea.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 10:15 AM   #163
Kalud
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Oh, btw, I checked as much as I can through coding and couldn't find anything related that could be useful... It would have been too good to be true... Coding awd for winter and rwd for summer
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 10:17 AM   #164
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep
Drives: fast, sometimes slow

Well, there IS a chassis type, 4wd, somewhere in CAS or EGS or something.............................
      03-23-2011, 10:20 AM   #165
issabmw
cool beans
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalud View Post
Oh, btw, I checked as much as I can through coding and couldn't find anything related that could be useful... It would have been too good to be true... Coding awd for winter and rwd for summer
Keep looking!!!!

I would love for the fuse to operate all of the controls except the AWD module. I'm thinking about making a switch, but am very hesitant
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 10:22 AM   #166
Kalud
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim View Post
Well, there IS a chassis type, 4wd, somewhere in CAS or EGS or something.............................
Well... There is:
Code:
DRIVE_WHEELS
	4_wheel
But its in none of the individual modules... Checked all, including the relevant BGSG (Transfer box), and BDSC (Stability Control Module). Still looking part time
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 10:31 AM   #167
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep
Drives: fast, sometimes slow

Ya I would SO not mess with that unless I had access to a basically scrap car on which I was willing to mess around. Maybe it's safe, but who knows with these uber fancy mobiles. Heh.
      03-23-2011, 10:32 AM   #168
issabmw
cool beans
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ya I would SO not mess with that unless I had access to a basically scrap car on which I was willing to mess around. Maybe it's safe, but who knows with these uber fancy mobiles. Heh.
I'll try to ask around for coders. There could be a profit for them as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 10:36 AM   #169
Kalud
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Totally agree

There is a lot of interesting thing to look in the BDSC module... None that are what we are looking exactly, but with some tests...
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 01:19 PM   #170
D0WNxiSH1FT
Spooling
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Subaru WRX

Haven't read all 8 pages but you CANNOT make an STI 100% RWD, ever. The only way would be to remove the front driveshaft like the drift cars.

DCCD:

41/59 f/r (Full open) this is how the car is normally

to (manual mode can adjust the torque to be more even, 5 degrees of increased Front bias)

50/50 f/r (Full lock)
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 04:37 PM   #171
henry418
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRox View Post
bump, any word on how to handle the wipers?
+1

bump
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 05:03 PM   #172
aakrusen
To Punish and Enslave
Rep
Drives: with both hands on the wheel

Garage List
2008 M3 E92  [9.00]
Aren't we waiting for Burger or Cobb to do some code writing and make a "map" for us?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 11:57 AM   #173
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Someone on here has been having a probably with their servo motor in the transfer case and has been running 2wd for a few months. He reported ^no problems.

I personally don't see how this would damage the car. If the front diff never engages (after pulling the fuse, car off) how can it damage it?

The front diff is disengaged when the car is off anyway.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 02:36 PM   #174
henry418
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aakrusen View Post
Aren't we waiting for Burger or Cobb to do some code writing and make a "map" for us?
It would be good if they can keep the stability control on and somehow prevent the wipers going crazy.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 12:31 PM   #175
4corners
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Jet Black M3 Coupe

Garage List
Wow, read the entire thread to make sure I didn't miss something.

Here's what I think. Install a switch, as others have suggested, to turn off the transfer case, one wire, probably a 12volt lead. Then the TC will get signals but will not be able to engage. The car will be a 2wd car with all the other traction control stuff working. Turn off the DTC, as we all know how to do. Voila!

All that pulling fuses talk is like turning off the main breaker of your house to turn off the tv.

Last edited by 4corners; 04-17-2011 at 09:26 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-17-2011, 12:59 PM   #176
henry418
Captain
Rep

What's the fuse number for rain wipers? I just realized, why not just pull the fuse for AWD and the fuse for rain wipers? (To stop wipers going)
Appreciate 0