E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > HELP! LED Interior Mess (Pics)

01-03-2013, 02:41 PM   #23
BOBKUR
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 E 90

I have the same bulbs, the problem is the installer and not the bulbs. You need to take your time and if not sure how to install them then have them done by someone that does.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 02:42 PM   #24
E92-Lighting
United_States
Rep
Drives: Next Generation LED Lighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob.g View Post
i got the hpb kit for my car and my cousins. The map lights dont stay on in my cousins 2009 335 while the car is running.. they will stay on for a few seconds and then shut off. From what i remember the problem is only when the car is on. The dome is hit or miss, but for the most part it works. All other lights work fine. i ended up having to order some bmw leds for his maps, those stay on but they arent anywhere near as bright..

i have the hpb kit for my e90 too, just havent installed them yet. the hpb kit is probably as good as it gets but they dont work right for everyone.
our map lights never shut off, and it fades in and out exactly like stock
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 03:23 PM   #25
idrift4wd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Three Hundred and Thirty Five

Garage List
2007 BMW  [7.00]
Quote:
i got the hpb kit for my car and my cousins. The map lights dont stay on in my cousins 2009 335 while the car is running.. they will stay on for a few seconds and then shut off. From what i remember the problem is only when the car is on. The dome is hit or miss, but for the most part it works. All other lights work fine. i ended up having to order some bmw leds for his maps, those stay on but they arent anywhere near as bright..

i have the hpb kit for my e90 too, just havent installed them yet. the hpb kit is probably as good as it gets but they dont work right for everyone.
You need to get CAn-bus type 2 LED.

non can-bus or can-bus type 1 will keep shutting off.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 10:59 PM   #26
YellowMellow
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E91, E93, E46, 9974CS, 997TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashoverride View Post
I just did LEDs a couple weeks ago such a bitch big fingers and all. I ended up using pliers to pull straight down and out the bulbs.

However tonight my hard wired detector wire came loose so I had to open up and get behind. The clips are such a bitch. Spent a few hours trying to get clips to pop open in installing the LEDs with no success despite originally installing the hardwire harness.

But then pure inspiration hit me. The clips holding the lights and panel are on the front just on the other side of the map lights if you remove the frosted cover and map light lenses you can see the silver clips through the holes.... If I could just pull them towards back of car..... So I bent a nail a quarter of an inch fished it through pulled back on clip and was looking at back of lights in thirty seconds to get in and release both clips

All -- thank you for everyone's help - I love this forum!
Okay so I tried taking the two clips from the sunvisor to let the liner/cluster drop but it didn't! The liner felt like it's partially glued to the ceiling.

Soooo...I followed crashoverride's recommendation of using a nail like hook (see attached image) and it worked like a charm (http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13246795) Thank you crashoverride and everyone for helping me out!

Now onto the rear passenger dome lights...sigh
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 04:54 PM   #27
crashoverride
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: na

Mark Glad the bent nail thing worked for you. You have no idea how pleased with myself for figuring out the bending the nail trick. Because I was on a fast track of ripping all of my hair out.

Seems like BMW would make accessing that area a whole lot easier since they expect you to access that area in the oft chance of using the manual sunroof tool they include in many cars car kits. Especially since you might be in a hurry come a rain storm should the motor fail.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 09:26 AM   #28
drevil2k2
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 B9 A4

Quote:
Just wondering if this kit would be a better option?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-Genuine-...ed7649&vxp=mtr

I know the OEM kit is more money, but maybe worth it since there is less hassle with the bulbs?
      01-05-2013, 11:54 AM   #29
crashoverride
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: na

Quote:
Originally Posted by drevil2k2 View Post

I know the OEM kit is more money, but maybe worth it since there is less hassle with the bulbs?

I've never seen that before.. Cool

However it looks way too expensive on eBay it's $158 shipped double or even triple other kits. In addition it appears to be missing some lights and isn't a complete all led package. The linked kit is for the X5 only perhaps others are available.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2013, 10:28 PM   #30
YellowMellow
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drevil2k2 View Post

The only issue I have found so far with the OEM kit from HPB is that the center dome light flickers when I closed the door. I thought it might have been a lose bulb but it's not.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2013, 10:31 PM   #31
YellowMellow
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashoverride View Post
Mark Glad the bent nail thing worked for you. You have no idea how pleased with myself for figuring out the bending the nail trick. Because I was on a fast track of ripping all of my hair out.

Seems like BMW would make accessing that area a whole lot easier since they expect you to access that area in the oft chance of using the manual sunroof tool they include in many cars car kits. Especially since you might be in a hurry come a rain storm should the motor fail.

Yeah I wish BMW would make it easier to access. There are a couple of other interior bits and pieces that I wish was a little easier as well...
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2015, 08:57 AM   #32
motoridersd
Wagon Pusher
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i E91 M Sport 6 Spd

Garage List
I just replaced the bulbs in my 2011 E91 last night, and the nail trick made replacing the dome light bulbs SO easy! Thanks for the tip.

Since I didn't see an answer for the rear pillar lights, I took a pic of what they look like. I pulled the whole assembly down from the side with the indentation, and it came out. There's a metal clip that holds it in place (that sliced part of my finger, so be careful when pulling). To put it back, you just push in. I'm not sure if this is the right way, since it felt like the clip bent strangely.

The one bulb I didn't replace was the one in the tail gate. I need to go back and try that one during the day, since I didn't want to break or damage any plastics last night :P

Here are some before and after shots

Appreciate 0