E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Procede v4 Firmware 130: Preview 2

10-25-2010, 04:08 PM   #45
boilator
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Procede v4 Firmware 130: Preview 2

Awesome, can't wait.

One question: aside from the updates to the command center, are you making any adjustments to the maps themselves for improved driving, compatibility with the latest BMW software, hp/trq?

I want to note that since the BMW's update and installation of my v4, I feel the low pressure fuel priming has caused the car to flood and not want to idle correctly. I have to manipulate the throttle to kick RPM's above 1K or else the car idles "Rough". This has resulted in me triggering 'limp' mode and the dreaded 'half' engine light.

I'm not blaming the v4 I'm just stating I received the software update and the v4 install. I will certainly take out the v4 and see if it still occurs in the next few days.

Lator
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 04:21 PM   #46
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by boilator View Post
Awesome, can't wait.

One question: aside from the updates to the command center, are you making any adjustments to the maps themselves for improved driving, compatibility with the latest BMW software, hp/trq?

I want to note that since the BMW's update and installation of my v4, I feel the low pressure fuel priming has caused the car to flood and not want to idle correctly. I have to manipulate the throttle to kick RPM's above 1K or else the car idles "Rough". This has resulted in me triggering 'limp' mode and the dreaded 'half' engine light.

I'm not blaming the v4 I'm just stating I received the software update and the v4 install. I will certainly take out the v4 and see if it still occurs in the next few days.

Lator
Definitely take the car to the dealership. They did something wrong. There are no noticeable changes to the maps themselves. Just more smarts and more features added.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 04:37 PM   #47
Iwantm3
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i M sport

the shifting points are for mans only or autos too ?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 04:39 PM   #48
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwantm3 View Post
the shifting points are for mans only or autos too ?
Both can use it
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 05:00 PM   #49
DefactoM6
Sees the world the way it could be
United_States
Rep
Drives: '88 M6, '02 Z8, '09 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clap135 View Post
Trust me lol, I saw the way you drive. This was prooven with video and logs. You're "aight"

Nice updates, send them out, I am itching to drive 2 hours to a fast track being that the weather is amazing.
Hook it up, Shiv!
      10-25-2010, 06:18 PM   #50
InsaneDriver
Enlisted Member
Rep

For the guys whose cars don't have a cruise control, is there any way to set up the shift light?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 06:33 PM   #51
alextremo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by alextremo View Post
Shiv - great stuff!

Any idea on expected mpg using NA mode vs not getting into boost on a regular map? I know there's a lot of variables here, just wondering if all things being equal you'd expect a better mpg with NA mode, or the benefit is just that you're guaranteed not to drive under boost with this feature?

Also - are there any negatives to keeping the wastegates open all the time (i.e. does it matter mechanically if they're naturally open or closed)?

Thanks!
Shiv - any thoughts on these questions?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 06:44 PM   #52
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by alextremo View Post
Shiv - great stuff!

Any idea on expected mpg using NA mode vs not getting into boost on a regular map? I know there's a lot of variables here, just wondering if all things being equal you'd expect a better mpg with NA mode, or the benefit is just that you're guaranteed not to drive under boost with this feature?

Theoretically, the NA mode should get better fuel economy since the engine should have better pumping efficiency with the wastegates wide open. And without the ability to build ANY boost under partial/light throttle will also improve mpgs a little bit. We are also advancing timing a bunch at partial throttle (up to 12 degrees!) which will improve torque without increasing fuel consumption. So everything is pointing to more miles per tank. But how much is unknown because I've not run a full tank in NA mode myself. I'll leave that for you guys to quantify.

Quote:
Also - are there any negatives to keeping the wastegates open all the time (i.e. does it matter mechanically if they're naturally open or closed)?
Shouldn't be any issue with keeping them wide open as that is what the DME does when it triggers a limp. Open also the natural state of the wastegate when the engine isn't running

Cheers,
Shiv
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 06:46 PM   #53
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '16 MK7 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clap135 View Post
Trust me lol, I saw the way you drive. This was prooven with video and logs. You're "aight"

Nice updates, send them out, I am itching to drive 2 hours to a fast track being that the weather is amazing.
when and where, I wanna join
      10-25-2010, 06:47 PM   #54
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneDriver View Post
For the guys whose cars don't have a cruise control, is there any way to set up the shift light?
Right now, those without cruise control will be out of luck. We can probably port all the features over to other buttons (steering wheel perhaps) eventually. But for now, it's going to be cruise control inputs. How much is the retrofit kit anyway? Can't imagine it being very much from BMW parts.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 06:54 PM   #55
alextremo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Theoretically, the NA mode should get better fuel economy since the engine should have better pumping efficiency with the wastegates wide open. And without the ability to build ANY boost under partial/light throttle will also improve mpgs a little bit. We are also advancing timing a bunch at partial throttle (up to 12 degrees!) which will improve torque without increasing fuel consumption. So everything is pointing to more miles per tank. But how much is unknown because I've not run a full tank in NA mode myself. I'll leave that for you guys to quantify.

Shouldn't be any issue with keeping them wide open as that is what the DME does when it triggers a limp. Open also the natural state of the wastegate when the engine isn't running

Cheers,
Shiv
Good stuff. thanks Shiv.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 11:27 PM   #56
MKE_M3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3

7) Current Map Display upon bumping the cruise control stalk up (not down).

NICE!!!

Also, perhaps make the shift beeps optional. Could be distracting and I can hear the turn signal clicks pretty well anyway.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 01:11 AM   #57
usc335
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C, '08 E92 335

Shiv, how about hijacking the ambient temp gauge for IATs like you did before?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 04:59 AM   #58
InsaneDriver
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Right now, those without cruise control will be out of luck. We can probably port all the features over to other buttons (steering wheel perhaps) eventually. But for now, it's going to be cruise control inputs. How much is the retrofit kit anyway? Can't imagine it being very much from BMW parts.
Hmmm the it would be nice to be able to choose betwain cruise control and steering wheel buttons!!!

I think that the problem with the retrofit kit, is the cost of other things(sensors etc) and not the stalk.

One last thing for the future...it would be to nice to be able to view the IAT and ignition values on the digital clock.
Two first digits for the IAT and second two for ignition...
That would be more accurate instead of oil temp and gas gauge.
And i would not have any problem if that was permanent. I have a second clock on the radio...!!!

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 05:48 AM   #59
Pry
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
If I remember it correctly it was almost 3000 euros. You'll have to change the full instrument cluster. And they said it isn't even possible to retrofit one for every 335i. It depends on the year model.
If you can make the Procede act as a cruise control it would be great for those who would want to retrofit one.

Edit: Actually it was around 1600 e but still pretty expensive (parts 1200 e, work 400 e). Did it for my car around a year ago and they said it was quite a PITA to make it work.

Last edited by Pry; 10-26-2010 at 06:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 09:11 AM   #60
uniter
Black on Black on Black.
Rep
Drives: 335i/6mt Sport,Nav,Prem.

Quote:
Map 2 (1st through 3rd gear) with audible shift alert/light @65000rpm.
Wow Shiv, I can't wait for my rev limiter to be jacked this high

Looks like more awesome work from you guys, I can't wait to install the new maps!
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 10:36 AM   #61
dbjb
I sweat pheromones
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, retired SLK55

So...

One of the surprises boost-peak shown on digital display? That would be sweet!
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 10:47 AM   #62
pentaxis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratplaya06 View Post
Shiv,

Not too sure if this is possible or feasible, but I have a suggestion for us 6AT guys. I noticed last time I was at autox I ended up knocking into 1st gear a couple times, destroying my times. This was both with the paddles and with the kickdown button. Would you be able to make a mode that would only respond to the gear shifter itself, and would ignore the paddles and kickdown? I know this is not an urgent need, but I think it'd be the best feature for those who track 6AT cars.
It would also be amazing to make it so while in manual shift mode that it truly holds the gear and doesnt auto shift to the next gear at high rpm
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 10:51 AM   #63
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

still waiting to hear about the surprises~~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 10:56 AM   #64
dbjb
I sweat pheromones
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, retired SLK55

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentaxis View Post
It would also be amazing to make it so while in manual shift mode that it truly holds the gear and doesnt auto shift to the next gear at high rpm
In Manual Mode (not D/DS), I don't think it will auto upshift. From what I remember, it WILL hold gears provided:

a) You don't redline causing an upshift
b) You don't press the kickdown button causing a downshift or
c) You don't slow down to a point the engine would lag in that gear (ie stopping places it in M2)

When I first got my car, I tested driving just below redline for 10 seconds in Manual Mode. The car didn't upshift. I thought that was a nice touch. Your fix may be to set the shift lights at 500rpm shy of redline. When it flashes, simply let off a little so that you don't redline.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 11:22 AM   #65
forza1976
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 BMW M3X  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
still waiting to hear about the surprises~~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
plus 1
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 04:13 PM   #66
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Don't think I can change the 6AT kick-down logic anytime soon. As for the beta mailing list, we aren't even doing that for this update. I'm just going to email the update out to just handful of people tomorrow. And if that is all good, we'll post it publicly (as a beta update). Nothing really beta about it though.
Shiv...can you add me to the handful of people and make it two hands full of people!
Appreciate 0