E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Reputable Extended Warranty Companies

08-30-2010, 04:21 PM   #1
ishmaelali
MontegoMan
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Reputable Extended Warranty Companies

I've seen alot of threads about extended warranties, but I was wondering which companies you all have used?

The only ones I know of so far are:

1. BMW (of course)
2. CarChex

Any others that you recommend I should call to get quotes? I just bought an 07 335i coupe with 67k miles, so I really think now is the time to slap on a warranty.

I assume all companies have a standard 50$ deductible and cover most items.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 04:35 PM   #2
NFS13
Car Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335is / R8

Garage List
No such thing as a reputable warranty company! Stick with the manufacturers ext. warranty.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 05:41 PM   #3
pwrdbym
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Roadster

If the car was not CPO when you bought it I'm not sure you can add a factory warranty since you are past the original warranty at 67k. Others on here will have to clarify.
Either way an extra warranty is likely to be fairly pricey. My recommendation is to take whatever cash you are planning to drop on the warranty and put it in an account labeled "car repairs". Then you can draw from that account for repairs and if you don't use all of the money then you get to keep it. I'm betting you won't use all of it, after all that is what the warranty company is banking on... You also won't have to contest each and every claim you try to make. Read reviews on any aftermarket warranty company and you'll get some outrageous stories.
91 BMW 850i 6MT--20 Ram 1500
16 Chevy Tahoe 4WD
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 06:24 PM   #4
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS13 View Post
No such thing as a reputable warranty company! Stick with the manufacturers ext. warranty.
+1 What is a non-BMW co.offering? Basically a savings of maybe $500-$700, and a longer term. That's all worthless when you have difficulty obtaining service at dealerships other than the one who sold it to you. If from the web, it's anybody's guess what the experience will be. The extended warranty is nothing more than a piece of paper, anyone can say anything they want.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 06:45 PM   #5
ishmaelali
MontegoMan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
I only have one quote so far. It's from CarChex: 4 yr / 48k mile (will take me up to 115k miles) for $3164. $50 deductible each time.

I am hearing some people say go for it and some other say don't bother. I just got the car thoroughly inspected and only one issue came up (something is up with the data plug port and it probably needs to be replaced).
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 06:47 PM   #6
wren57
Roll Tide
Rep
Drives: 335i

Check out fordfactoryplans.com and the ESP Warranty.

I have heard good things about them and bought one for $2420 last week. Good thing, too, because the HPFP started bugging out today!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 06:50 PM   #7
ishmaelali
MontegoMan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wren57 View Post

I have heard good things about them and bought one for $2420 last week. Good thing, too, because the HPFP started bugging out today!
Thanks for the tip!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 06:54 PM   #8
ishmaelali
MontegoMan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
For the folks that recommend not getting a warranty, I'm really interested in going this way but I'm not a mechanic by any means so I would have to pay someone to do it. In doing research, I found that 335i owners have had the following problems:
struts and bushings at 60k
peizo fuel injectors
RFT's
turbo waste gate actuators
cam sensor
rear dct
power folding mirrors
VANOS solenoids (intake and exhaust)
sparkplugs
coils
fuel pressure sensors
o2 sensor
starter
stereo amplifier

It sounds like a lot, but I don't know how much $$$ each fix translates into?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 07:10 PM   #9
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishmaelali View Post
For the folks that recommend not getting a warranty, I'm really interested in going this way but I'm not a mechanic by any means so I would have to pay someone to do it. In doing research, I found that 335i owners have had the following problems:
struts and bushings at 60k
peizo fuel injectors
RFT's
turbo waste gate actuators
cam sensor
rear dct
power folding mirrors
VANOS solenoids (intake and exhaust)
sparkplugs
coils
fuel pressure sensors
o2 sensor
starter
stereo amplifier

It sounds like a lot, but I don't know how much $$$ each fix translates into?
I don't want to know, i.e. 7/100 Gold. I already had a VANOS intake solenoid as well as the DME replaced and I'm at 21k.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 07:12 PM   #10
gos
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 330xi

Quote:

I thought the HPFP were given 10yr/100k warranties even if the car was transferred, no?
      08-30-2010, 07:31 PM   #11
NFS13
Car Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335is / R8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ishmaelali View Post
I only have one quote so far. It's from CarChex: 4 yr / 48k mile (will take me up to 115k miles) for $3164. $50 deductible each time.

I am hearing some people say go for it and some other say don't bother. I just got the car thoroughly inspected and only one issue came up (something is up with the data plug port and it probably needs to be replaced).
You need to read ALL of the covered items and the definitions. So many companies will word things in general terms that may not cover all parts. And when it comes time to cover something they will argue as such not to cover it.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 07:38 PM   #12
wren57
Roll Tide
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gos View Post
I thought the HPFP were given 10yr/100k warranties even if the car was transferred, no?
True, but many BMW dealerships have gone about blaming the problem on other things before replacing the HPFP. I don't know what my dealership will do as I haven't been in for any issues yet, but hopefully they will be on the up and up and replace the HPFP the first round. It is nice to have a catch-all in case they decide to replace the VANOS or anything like that.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 08:50 PM   #13
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Mine is through Great American. A few people recommended them to me, but I can't speak from personal experience as my original warranty isn't up until Dec
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 09:19 PM   #14
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Be sure to get an "Exclusionary" warranty. An exclusionalry warranty lists what it does not cover, rather than what it does cover.

Here are sample contracts from BMW (very similar to the CPO warranty) and from AAA Autoguard. There are a lot of scam warranty companies out there but AAA Autoguard is endorsed by the AAA and I as not able to find any complaints about them.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf AAA DiamondPlan.pdf (294.1 KB, 188 views)
File Type: pdf BMW_Extended.pdf (471.2 KB, 179 views)

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 09:23 PM   #15
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 | X5 xdrive 35i MSport

Garage List
subscribed!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 09:40 PM   #16
wren57
Roll Tide
Rep

The premiumCARE warranty I got from Ford is exclusionary.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 10:21 PM   #17
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
Be sure to get an "Exclusionary" warranty. An exclusionalry warranty lists what it does not cover, rather than what it does cover.
Very good advice. Mine is exclusionary as well - take your time to go over the paperwork
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 10:27 PM   #18
Jalal28
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Gran Coupe

Warrantydirect.com
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 10:40 PM   #19
Ewhacked
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 328i

Here's the chat I had with a carchex guy back in July...I only have 25k on the odometer so I decided to wait a while before getting any extended warranties

George:
and LAST thing so that the computer will allow you to view the details from your end...I need an accurate contact # to put in the fields...don't worry I do not call my customers to death...or spam...we protect your info with our lives....another reason we've kept our A+ rating

me:
no problem...we have tele-block anyway! 615*******

George:
LOL...good deal

me:
will youe be sending info on what IS and IS NOT covered with the plans....as well as any kind of add-ons like roadside/tires etc?

George:
the FULL contract is included and since this is the Exclusionary contract it will tell you that Everything is covered other than what is in the Exclusions section...that is the definition of Bumper to Bumper...when you see a contract that has every component listed...it's a Stated Inclusionary contract which is ALWAYS less than bumper to bumper

George:
You have over 6,000 parts in that vehicle so it's easier the FULL contract tells you the few that are not covered....

me:
aaa i see

George:
Covers Everything between those 2 bumpers except cosmetics like paint, carpet, sheet metal, chrome, or regular maintenance., previous conditions or any modifications done to the suspension or engine....

George:
very easy

me:
ok...i see....sounds great

George:
AND with CARCHEX you get not only mechanical breakdown but also Wear and Tear coverage...Wear and tear is defined as the gradual reduction in performance of any covered component. It means you can take your car in at the first sign of a malfunction as opposed to waiting for a complete breakdown. It touches on about 60% off all claims, on BMW models alone...high end coverage for a high end vehicle with the absolute lowest price nationwide

Last edited by Ewhacked; 08-30-2010 at 10:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 10:55 PM   #20
chromisdesigns
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

Quote:

Of course, the HPFP is factory-waranted for 120K miles now...
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 11:02 PM   #21
wren57
Roll Tide
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromisdesigns View Post
Of course, the HPFP is factory-waranted for 120K miles now...
Read post #12
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2010, 06:28 AM   #22
Thunder Dump
That tickles
Rep
Drives: '09 328i E93 SGM/CR

I would never buy another aftermarket warranty again. I'm still tied up in an *eight-year long* class action lawsuit from one I bought in 2002. Like many of you, I did my research and found the best, most well-rated company on the Internet--Warranty Gold. They were highly rated by a bunch of places *including AAA* and I bought the 7yr/100K warranty for my then new 2002 Acura TL Type S. Less then a year later, the insurance company that underwrote 55,000 of their policies filed Chapter 11 and instantly it made all of our warranties null and void. Warranty Gold got a new underwriter and they were back in business almost overnight--taking new people's money with the new underwriter but the new underwriter refused to honor any of the old contracts. So as you can imagine a class action lawsuit commenced. While they were back in business, they didn't have one peep on their web site about the Chapter 11 filing and the voided contracts. Kept all their "awards" listed on the site, etc. And remember--this was a highly rated company back then.

I spent over $1200 for the warranty and I've been told I'll be lucky if I see $120 back, if ever. It's still in litigation 8 years later.

The point of my story is this: all of these aftermarket companies do the same thing--they find insurance companies to underwrite their warranties because basically you are buying an insurance policy on your car and insurance companies specialize in calculating risk. Most of these companies are just glorified insurance brokers and as such have no real financial holdings other than the policy premiums they collect. So if one of their insurance companies goes broke and files Chapter 11, there are no assets or value behind the company to cover the losses. This is where a manufacturer warranty is different. Even though many of them use insurance companies as well, they have their full global assets as collateral should something go wrong. BMW can afford to shuffle the debt of one failed insurance carrier on themselves until they can secure another to keep from having the same thing happen to them. They're just financially better off.

You take your chances with an aftermarket company that has no stake in keeping the reputation of the vehicle brand pristine. Dealers make a ton of money off of aftermarket warranties and if word got around the people buying the BMW warranties were getting stiffed, people would stop buying them and that cash cow would dry up. But more importantly it would tarnish the brand so they will do what they can to prevent that from happening.
Appreciate 0