E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Some one help! Limp mode and service engine light on for 3rd time

12-01-2013, 03:49 AM   #1
jordan_e90
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i e90

Some one help! Limp mode and service engine light on for 3rd time

Hey everyone, so after getting me car fixed for the second time. It happens again. My I give it some acceleration my car goes in to limp mode and the service light goes on. I have an 2008 328i e9 with just about 70 thousand miles. I first replaced the fuel injector and coil packs. It fixed it. Then it happened again. Then replaced all of the spark plugs. And it didn't do it for about 1 month. Now it's acting up. I really starting to get ticked off. I'm looking for what else it could be and I've looked at other forums and I could only find forums about 335i. Please help. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 01:36 PM   #2
distracted24x7
Rep
Drives: 2009 e90 335i xDrive

So, I have a 335 but it also goes into limp mode quite often.

Have you had anyone read the codes being thrown around the time it goes into limp mode? Mine is most often associated with the oxygen sensors.

Granted, I have several things done to the car and going into limp mode is most often taking the turbos offline because of a heat problem, but the oxygen sensor thing is one part we would have in common.
      12-01-2013, 01:50 PM   #3
jordan_e90
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by distracted24x7 View Post
So, I have a 335 but it also goes into limp mode quite often.

Have you had anyone read the codes being thrown around the time it goes into limp mode? Mine is most often associated with the oxygen sensors.

Granted, I have several things done to the car and going into limp mode is most often taking the turbos offline because of a heat problem, but the oxygen sensor thing is one part we would have in common.
no, I've never scanned it. It usually happens when im travel 60+ and i step on the gas. I heard its the waste gate on 335i but i have not found anything about 328i's. im just starting to get ticked that is keeps happening.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 02:21 PM   #4
distracted24x7
Rep
Drives: 2009 e90 335i xDrive

What transmission do you have?

My weather in MA has been up and down temperature wise for the past several months. I notice more trouble on the warmer days. Do you see any correlation to the weather? The last time was a warm Saturday a few weeks ago. Went into limp mode accelerating onto the highway. I have a DCT transmission and was in D. Nothing special.

After talking with the guys at Turner for the past several months about the problem and having them run a scan after considering the codes my P3cars gauge stored, we found nothing wrong. The suggestion is to let the car breathe better, hence the FMIC and downpipes. I also just installed the 9-10 maps from Vishnu to hold the waste gate at 50%, not 90% open.

Just trying to see if thinking in a different direction might help shed some light on the problem.
      12-01-2013, 06:29 PM   #5
BashShah
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sedan

You really really need to scan it.
Really really scan it sooner than later.

Then we can have a starting point.

But looking at the info provided.
Like sparks and coils replaced, and it helped for 6 months.
Then it suggest timing a ignition area.

My cheap suggestions are:
1) 2 cans of BG44k
2) Vanos Solenoids. (bought mine from eBay for 105 a pop.)

I decided to replace them just to be sure.
PS: I have 335i.

Look into injector cleaning.

Regards,
DN
Appreciate 0