E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > How long does it take you to wash your BMW?

08-22-2006, 01:21 PM   #23
Josh49
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 325xi

First, wheels/tires, about 5 hours each. Take off each corner, clean every surface of it, wax it, clean out the treads with a toothbrush, wash it again, and two more coats of wax.

Next, I’ll spend 10 hours cleaning the Roundels. Extremely important that they are perfectly clean.

Windows, about an hour for each one, inside and out. Three hours for the windshield. Four hours for back window (it’s tough to get in there).

Roof, about 10 hours. Clean, dry, clean, dry, wax.

Doors, hood, trunk. About 50 hours total. Clean, dry, clean, dry, wax.

Lowers, skirts, bumbers. PITA. Dead bugs, dirt, road debris. Takes about 300 hours to do.

Interior. Vaccum. 2 hours

Interior. Seats and leather surfaces. 20 hours

Interior. Switches, buttons, cracks, every single part. 30 hours.

Interior. Roundel on steering wheel. 2 hours.

Then I do all the mirrors, this takes a few more hours.

Under the hood. 500 hours. Take out engine, take apart engine, clean everything.

Underbody. 200 hours.

I actually can't explain any more detail because I have to get back to cleaning my valve stem caps (I only have three hours more to work and two more to get done).

This is the typical cleaning, sometime I’ll do a more detailed job though and it will take longer..

E90 325XI, MYSTIC BLUE ON BLACK/ALUM, STEP, NAV, PDC, CWP, XENON, SIRIUS, ALARM, MUD GUARDS, CLEARBRA, CHROME GRILLS AND TIPS, VALENTINE 1 (HARDWIRED), HO CERAMIC 40%, 161'S, REAR FOG MOD, LUX 4.0, BLACKLINES, OEM PEDALS, MTEC FOGS, GRUPPE-M REP INTAKE. 156'S AND RUBBER MATS FOR THE WINTER.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2006, 04:38 PM   #24
XxLancaxX
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 335xi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh49
First, wheels/tires, about 5 hours each. Take off each corner, clean every surface of it, wax it, clean out the treads with a toothbrush, wash it again, and two more coats of wax.

Next, I’ll spend 10 hours cleaning the Roundels. Extremely important that they are perfectly clean.

Windows, about an hour for each one, inside and out. Three hours for the windshield. Four hours for back window (it’s tough to get in there).

Lowers, skirts, bumbers. PITA. Dead bugs, dirt, road debris. Takes about 300 hours to do.

Under the hood. 500 hours. Take out engine, take apart engine, clean everything.

Underbody. 200 hours.

I actually can't explain any more detail because I have to get back to cleaning my valve stem caps (I only have three hours more to work and two more to get done).

This is the typical cleaning, sometime I’ll do a more detailed job though and it will take longer..
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2006, 05:17 PM   #25
E90Brian
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:

Underbody. 200 hours.

Okay, you got us!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2006, 06:01 PM   #26
matt20043.0
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2006 325i

That made my stomach hurt
      08-22-2006, 07:10 PM   #27
CnoteMD
Commander in Chief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 535i

Garage List
2008 M5  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
I get my car hand washed every couple of weeks or so. They use wool wash mitts and there are usually 2-3 guys at a time, so it takes them less than 5 minutes from start to finish.

The last time I washed and waxed my car myself, the whole process took about 2 hours.
-Wash exterior with Meguires Gold Class Car Shampoo (wool mitts).
-Clean wheels and tires last
-Dry Car (The Absorber)
-Apply 1 coat of Klasse All-In-One
-Apply 1 coat of Klasse Sealant Glaze
-Apply Meguires Tire Dressing

The amazing thing is that I did this process last September and water still beads on my car when it rains.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2006, 09:31 PM   #28
CALIF65GM
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e93-35 May08 ED

Garage List
Simple wash, wheels, chrome trims and interior wipe down about 75 mins.

Above + 1 layer wax job about an hr and 45 mins.

Debadged 330xi ED 11/14/05 Auto/Mystic Blue/Gray leather with Alum/PP/SP/CA/Fold-down rear seats/Alarm. Sold to Carmax on 6/7/08 with 50,624 miles on clock
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2006, 11:52 PM   #29
mosport70
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
2006 330xi  [0.00]
2006 330xi  [0.00]
My buddy and I take about 6 hours to wash 4 cars (1 E46, 1 X5, 1 E39 and 1 E90). One car per session gets Zaino'd. One other car just gets some Z6 if it needs it. Interiors are cleaned with MF cloth and vacuumed.

We try do the cars weekly during the winter and bi-weekly in the summer.

Once per quarter the older cars get Einzett polish, full Zaino... the whole treatment with PC orbitals. Wheels off and jackstands for undercarriage. This takes about 10 hours over 2 days.
330xi Sparkling Graphite | Terra with Burl Walnut | ZPP | ZSP with Style 162 | Comfort Access | Heated Seats | PDC | Navigation | Satellite Radio | OEM Alarm | De-badged | OEM Strut Brace | Blacklines | Rear Fogs | Silver Front Indicator Bulbs

Ordered: 4.3.2006
Scheduled for Production: 4.7.2006
Awaiting Transport: 4.13.2006
En Route: 4.19.2006
At Preparation Center: 5.11.2006
Performance Center Delivery: 06.01.2006

Appreciate 0
      08-23-2006, 12:31 AM   #30
jojogargoles
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

i go to a drive through car WASH then get a soda and watch your car to be cleaned by other people and tell them to clean this and that.....

kinda think of it its PRICELESS!!!! as if your a supervisor and the wash boys are your employee!
      08-23-2006, 04:09 AM   #31
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwexecutive
*Laughs as you drive down the street with four gazillion scratches and swirl marks on your car*
If it gets too bad I'll sell it an buy a new one.

I'm more concerned about how fast it goes round corners
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2006, 04:11 AM   #32
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Underbody. 200 hours.

You forgot to clean inside the exhaust system - schoolboy error
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2006, 06:55 AM   #33
Josh49
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed
You forgot to clean inside the exhaust system - schoolboy error

As hard as it is to believe, I haven't cleaned the inside of my exhaust yet. When I do though, I figure it'll probably take about 120 hours to take it apart, clean, and re-weld back together.. Then another 30 to polish the chrome tips...

Good catch.

PS. Cleaning the inside of the exhaust system is extremely important. The buildup inside of the exhaust reduces the diameter of the exhaust system, therefore increasing backpressure on the engine and reducing power. Make sure to clean the exhaust system well, starting at the engine block..

E90 325XI, MYSTIC BLUE ON BLACK/ALUM, STEP, NAV, PDC, CWP, XENON, SIRIUS, ALARM, MUD GUARDS, CLEARBRA, CHROME GRILLS AND TIPS, VALENTINE 1 (HARDWIRED), HO CERAMIC 40%, 161'S, REAR FOG MOD, LUX 4.0, BLACKLINES, OEM PEDALS, MTEC FOGS, GRUPPE-M REP INTAKE. 156'S AND RUBBER MATS FOR THE WINTER.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2006, 07:10 AM   #34
gdnyc
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi Jet Black

Quote:
Are you mad!? What do you do, take one swipe at everything and that's it? There is no way is HELL you can apply Z-6 to an entire car in 10 minutes. IM-POS-I-BLE! Also, if you're drying the car properly, 5 minutes ain't gonna happen. Takes me 30 minutes to dry the car and that's with the help of a 205MPH leaf blower.
To dry the car, first I take the nozzle off the hose and let water run on the paint. The water sheets off. There isn't much water left after that. Using the Absorber, I just go around the car, gently patting down the wet areas. I will use a leaf bower when I am going to wax the car. Then I want to get the water out of the seams (doors, bumpers, around the windows).
As for the Zaino Z-6, I spray the bare minimum. Z-6 or even Z-8 is very concentrated. You shouldn't be using as much.
As for my wheels, brake dust isn't much of a problem. I have a coat of Klasse AIO and 2 coats of Klasse SG on them. I use regular car wash soap to clean them (in a seperate bucket and sponge).
The interior.. How often do you need to clean it? I vacumn once a month. I dust the dashboard, seats and center console when ever I see dust. I keep a mf towel in the car for this purpose. If I am stuck in traffic or waiting at a long light, I'll start dusting. Looks funny, but I save time.

BMW, please get rid of the RFT's and give us a spare tire!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2006, 07:31 AM   #35
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

As hard as it is to believe, I haven't cleaned the inside of my exhaust yet. When I do though, I figure it'll probably take about 120 hours to take it apart, clean, and re-weld back together.. Then another 30 to polish the chrome tips...

Good catch.

PS. Cleaning the inside of the exhaust system is extremely important. The buildup inside of the exhaust reduces the diameter of the exhaust system, therefore increasing backpressure on the engine and reducing power. Make sure to clean the exhaust system well, starting at the engine block..
Yep - most importantly you need to open up the catayltic converter and get all the gunk off the platinum vanes - that stuff will seriously slow you down.

Presumably you also remember to de-gas the xenon lights and take them apart so that you can clean the inside of the glass properly - if you forget this you really aren't trying
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2006, 07:42 AM   #36
Josh49
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed
Yep - most importantly you need to open up the catayltic converter and get all the gunk off the platinum vanes - that stuff will seriously slow you down.

Presumably you also remember to de-gas the xenon lights and take them apart so that you can clean the inside of the glass properly - if you forget this you really aren't trying

I concur that this is very important. Cleaning all of the bulbs is extremely important; you want to make sure 100% of the light from the bulbs is being emitted. I start with the front of the car and take out and clean every light bulb on the car for at least an hour or two. Any transmittence losses due to dirt or oils on the bulbs is a safety risk.

Appreciate 0
      08-23-2006, 08:03 AM   #37
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 SG 335i Coupe

Some guys just like their cars looking good, I guess.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2006, 08:13 AM   #38
vladinecko
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.00]
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
1994 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
you could eat off of her she's so clean. No joke. Just look at the pictures in the link from my sig.
i just did. i think i see a piece of dust there along with a fingerprint.....just kidding

you're hardcore, man.
1994 E36 325i - Boston Green/Beige/Automatic/ZPP/Heated Seats/Premium Sound - Sold
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2006, 08:15 AM   #39
Josh49
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by picus
Some guys just like their cars looking good, I guess.
Yup. What really helps is that I detail my car in a Class 100 clean room.

Appreciate 0
      08-23-2006, 08:33 AM   #40
Gitta
Kelly's 330i
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
Quote:
Look at your car under a 500W Halogen bulb and you'll understand why.

After some Z6 and Z8, it's perfect even under the most extreme lighting.
Your car looks great and those are nice pics too, but I don't understand what it is that I was supposed to have seen? All I saw was blue spots on the garage walls after staring at the blinding glare off of the TiAg paint. I also saw I need to do a better job cleaning out my wheel wells, but didn't see anything wrong with the paint (except for the obvious chip here and there on the nose and some specs of dust on the top surfaces). What am I missing?
'01 325xi | auto | TS-GDL-BW | ZPP | heated seats |........... mods | spoiler | mudguards | blackout grills | clear lights | halo projector headlights |
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2006, 08:40 AM   #41
Josh49
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitta
Your car looks great and those are nice pics too, but I don't understand what it is that I was supposed to have seen? All I saw was blue spots on the garage walls after staring at the blinding glare off of the TiAg paint. I also saw I need to do a better job cleaning out my wheel wells, but didn't see anything wrong with the paint (except for the obvious chip here and there on the nose and some specs of dust on the top surfaces). What am I missing?
500W???

Use a 750 Terrawatt light, and then the electron microscope. It's incredible what's on the car... Of course none of this is visible to the naked eye, but it's still extremely important to be cleaned off and removed. Any particle over 10 microns must be removed. Having these particles really effects the looks and performace of the car.

Appreciate 0
      08-23-2006, 12:27 PM   #42
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

boy, we have a lot of love in this thread...
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2006, 12:37 PM   #43
bmwexecutive
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Quote:
500W???

Use a 750 Terrawatt light, and then the electron microscope. It's incredible what's on the car... Of course none of this is visible to the naked eye, but it's still extremely important to be cleaned off and removed. Any particle over 10 microns must be removed. Having these particles really effects the looks and performace of the car.
Your first post in this thread was funny. Now you're just acting stupid.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2006, 12:41 PM   #44
Josh49
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Your first post in this thread was funny. Now you're just acting stupid.
Just having a sense of humor, relax...

Appreciate 0