E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > BMW 335i (N55) Performance Edition Retrofit Kit Review and Info

09-30-2011, 10:09 AM   #111
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 SG 135i DCT; '18 MG M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwkbiker View Post
No you can't follow the conversation.

If BMW decides the 2012 models all have the "tune" as a standard option that doesn't imply it is now FREE.
It is just rolled into their cost model. Airbags aren't free, standard paint isn't free, standard sunroofs aren't free, don't you get this?

2nd:
And regardless of what is "standard" on a new model no way is BMW going upgrade past customers without extracting both its cost and a profit.
Nobody with half a brain would expect BMW to hand you options/accessories without you buying a BMW. Well, if you bought a BMW, you just dropped some serious dough, and obviously it's not "free" as you defined it. You're arguing with yourself. :lmao:
Anyone with a 5th grade reading comprehension understands that "free" in the context I used means "not an extra charge option". It is not free today, as you get charged extra if you want it.
Show me where I said anything about BMW upgrading past customers. One other poster made the same mistake you made. That was settled and he acknowledged that.
You drop in late into a conversation that has been settled and make asinine comments without even reading the conversation, and with an abrasive tone.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 05:19 PM   #112
MikeDalle
MikeDalle
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i (E90)

Hey y'all I am about to have this done to my 07 e90. I need good advice here because I have been sitting on it for days... Stage 1 or stage 2? I have the money for stage 2 but my brother (audi enthusiast) says he wouldn't bother with the extra $600 because my 335 already has a cooler in it, and the gains wont cause that much stress on my engine. Do y'all think the extra $600 is worth it for the fan and aux water cooler? I need honesty here!
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 06:24 PM   #113
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeDalle View Post
Hey y'all I am about to have this done to my 07 e90. I need good advice here because I have been sitting on it for days... Stage 1 or stage 2? I have the money for stage 2 but my brother (audi enthusiast) says he wouldn't bother with the extra $600 because my 335 already has a cooler in it, and the gains wont cause that much stress on my engine. Do y'all think the extra $600 is worth it for the fan and aux water cooler? I need honesty here!
I think if BMW, who initially said that a tune couldn't be safely done without the additional cooling, is now offering just the tune alone--and on cars from the factory to boot--your plenty safe with the stock cooling components
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2011, 09:41 PM   #114
C230AMG
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

First of all, I would like to thank Dave, the Parts Dept guru @ Circle BMW for starting the ball to move forward. Tim @ the Service Dept who specializes in M sport and performance parts and the shop foreman installing this software. My local dealership which I will remain nameless was clueless and inexperienced to do the install. I had to go to Circle BMW whom had done several installs to make this happen.

As of my impressions over the weekend: noticeable lower resonance from the moment the engine starts, driving it: under various conditions of a typical NYC rush hour traffic on Friday evening, open road spritied accelerations that hit high rate of speed easily, rolling start accelerations from 5-60 mph and just driving it easy, I was very satisfied. Compared to stock, the motor finally came to life. The response when needed is near instaneous, the engine tach revs to the redline under heavy pedal to the metal, the oil temps were never over 250 during all the hard acceleration and the needle never touched 240 while cruising on the highway. Finally, thank you BMW of NA for releasing this product to your customers who want a little more oomph on their 335i's
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 01:25 PM   #115
azeemtn
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 m5, Space Gray

Garage List
2015 m5  [0.00]
Is it just me, or did BMW drop the price on these to $599 now (based on the first post in this thread)?

Thanks
Azeem
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 03:35 PM   #116
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 SG 135i DCT; '18 MG M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeemtn View Post
Is it just me, or did BMW drop the price on these to $599 now (based on the first post in this thread)?

Thanks
Azeem
It's just you.
We read the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Post #1
c. Price change - As of 9/19/11 and for the remainder of 2011 the kit will be reduced to $599. My dealer is working with me and BMW NA to recover the difference in price of the part since I purchased within 2 weeks of the price change.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 10:50 PM   #117
yo-ga
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Conv. Sport 6MT

Our experience with the PPK

Our '11 335i had a ton of passion when we first bought it...lots of burble and pop. Even some seriously cool backfires. But then they updated the software in order to fix a window programming problem (didn't fix it). That update took away the passion and screwed things up big time.

That ill-fated update increased fuel economy at the expense of being emasculated. Several bad things happened:
  • The throttle response was instantly deadened. I compare it to when I put it in reverse...the computer deadens the throttle response on purpose (I'm guessing as a safety precaution). It's fine for reverse, but in 1st gear in a BMW? On a subsequent visit to service, they cleared the adaptations, which helped a lot.
  • Whenever I backed off the throttle, the revs would stay at 2k for several seconds. That's just wrong. If I back off the throttle, I expect it to return to idle. If someone can tell me a reason why this should be normal, I'm listening.
  • When we bought it, it felt like about 95% of the feel of the 335is we didn't buy. We really enjoyed the very Indy-like or F1-like double exhaust pops between every 1-2 or 2-3 shift. But after the update, the beautiful exhaust sounds all but disappeared.

The PPK brought it all back, for the most part. So far, We're liking it.

Under hard acceleration, there's definitely a difference. Very noticeable. I don't drive it too hard, but on on-ramps and highway speeds, the extra oomph is noticeable.

There's more low-end resonance. The day I got it back, it was raining and I couldn't tell much difference. But once the skies cleared and the top went down, I could tell the difference. It seems slightly deeper at idle, and under normal acceleration, seems a little deeper too.

There's so much burble under "engine overrun conditions", that it almost sounds too fake. Back off the throttle and the burble kicks in for 1.5 seconds, then stops. Every single time. As the revs keep going down while coasting to a stop, I can make it burble all the way down the block just by blipping the throttle (even just a little bit), but that seems a little stupid to me. Formerly, it would occasionally but unpredictably burble all the way down the block until I stopped, without any input from me. Anyway, the point is, the passion is back to its passionate self, with 20 extra horses to boot. We are very happy with the PPK.

BTW, I **highly** recommend Nick Alexander Imports for this. Their deal is $699 installed. Best service ever, seriously.

Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 10:38 AM   #118
MikeDalle
MikeDalle
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo-ga View Post
Our '11 335i had a ton of passion when we first bought it...lots of burble and pop. Even some seriously cool backfires. But then they updated the software in order to fix a window programming problem (didn't fix it). That update took away the passion and screwed things up big time.

That ill-fated update increased fuel economy at the expense of being emasculated. Several bad things happened:
  • The throttle response was instantly deadened. I compare it to when I put it in reverse...the computer deadens the throttle response on purpose (I'm guessing as a safety precaution). It's fine for reverse, but in 1st gear in a BMW? On a subsequent visit to service, they cleared the adaptations, which helped a lot.
  • Whenever I backed off the throttle, the revs would stay at 2k for several seconds. That's just wrong. If I back off the throttle, I expect it to return to idle. If someone can tell me a reason why this should be normal, I'm listening.
  • When we bought it, it felt like about 95% of the feel of the 335is we didn't buy. We really enjoyed the very Indy-like or F1-like double exhaust pops between every 1-2 or 2-3 shift. But after the update, the beautiful exhaust sounds all but disappeared.

Under hard acceleration, there's definitely a difference. Very noticeable. I don't drive it too hard, but on on-ramps and highway speeds, the extra oomph is noticeable.

There's more low-end resonance. The day I got it back, it was raining and I couldn't tell much difference. But once the skies cleared and the top went down, I could tell the difference. It seems slightly deeper at idle, and under normal acceleration, seems a little deeper too.

There's so much burble under "engine overrun conditions", that it almost sounds too fake. Back off the throttle and the burble kicks in for 1.5 seconds, then stops. Every single time. As the revs keep going down while coasting to a stop, I can make it burble all the way down the block just by blipping the throttle (even just a little bit), but that seems a little stupid to me. Formerly, it would occasionally but unpredictably burble all the way down the block until I stopped, without any input from me. Anyway, the point is, the passion is back to its passionate self, with 20 extra horses to boot. We are very happy with the PPK.

BTW, I **highly** recommend Nick Alexander Imports for this. Their deal is $699 installed. Best service ever, seriously.
Great informative post about the PPK. I am getting mine installed on Monday, but I have an '07 e90 with the N54. Ill post about it afterwards, I hope its as good as you say!

btw - did you get stage 1 or stage 2?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 10:39 AM   #119
USMC_335i
US//\/\C
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Nice !
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 10:44 AM   #120
SupremePower3335
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 MSport & 2018 X3 30i

10-20-2011, 11:51 AM   #121
x26
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Exclamation

I'm thinking about stage 2...
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 10:26 PM   #122
yo-ga
Rep

Quote:
Great informative post about the PPK. I am getting mine installed on Monday, but I have an '07 e90 with the N54. Ill post about it afterwards, I hope its as good as you say!

btw - did you get stage 1 or stage 2?
Thanks. I got the stage 1. I don't track the car or drive it consistently hard.

Appreciate 0
      10-21-2011, 10:09 AM   #123
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
Quote:

Interesting... I had the burble before the PPK, but now not after. To be honest it was cool for a minute but then got a little annoying.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2011, 01:45 PM   #124
yo-ga
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAMidge View Post
Interesting... I had the burble before the PPK, but now not after. To be honest it was cool for a minute but then got a little annoying.
Hope you're enjoying yours nevertheless. Looks like our situations are reversed. Not to insult others, but prior to the PPK (but after that ill-fated update mentioned above), our 335i 6MT sounded more like a 328i 6AT.

The thing about the burble that annoys me is that it cuts off after a second or so. It can definitely be invoked very predictably as long as I want, but that shouldn't be the point. Still glad for it though.

Appreciate 0
      10-28-2011, 06:51 PM   #125
MikeDalle
MikeDalle
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hope you're enjoying yours nevertheless. Looks like our situations are reversed. Not to insult others, but prior to the PPK (but after that ill-fated update mentioned above), our 335i 6MT sounded more like a 328i 6AT.

The thing about the burble that annoys me is that it cuts off after a second or so. It can definitely be invoked very predictably as long as I want, but that shouldn't be the point. Still glad for it though.
If i get mine back and the burble is gone, and it sounds like a 328... im gunna be pretty pissed off. could they reverse that back if it does sound different?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 12:54 PM   #126
yo-ga
Rep

Quote:
If i get mine back and the burble is gone, and it sounds like a 328... im gunna be pretty pissed off. could they reverse that back if it does sound different?
If you are that worried, don't do it. Consider doing a mod/tune that you have more control over.

Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 04:15 PM   #127
MikeDalle
MikeDalle
United_States
Rep

i just need to be under warranty. i have had too many bad experiences without warranties. i have never heard anyone else with the perf kit say their exhaust was changed though, you think its common? I am dying for the tune, and it is being installed as we speak so i cant go back now ha. i really dont want a diminished exhaust tho...
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 06:02 AM   #128
korr
Captain
Kazakhstan
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i M-Sport

Garage List
im gonanget thisinstalled

Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 02:39 PM   #129
yo-ga
Rep

Quote:
i just need to be under warranty. i have had too many bad experiences without warranties. i have never heard anyone else with the perf kit say their exhaust was changed though, you think its common? I am dying for the tune, and it is being installed as we speak so i cant go back now ha. i really dont want a diminished exhaust tho...
Mike, let us know how you fared with the PPK.

Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 02:47 PM   #130
yo-ga
Rep

I also wanted to add two notes to my own PPK experience above

I also wanted to add two notes to my own PPK experience above.

Minor pinging continues when accelerating in a high gear from low revs, and up steep hills. It did this before the PPK, and it might have even increased by a tiny bit after the PPK. Here in SoCal, I use top-tier 91 octane fuel.

Also, while throttle response has been sharpened noticeably for me while moving, the throttle still seems deadened when I blip the throttle at a standstill with the clutch in. So when I'm just about to release the clutch to start moving and I blip the throttle, the response is much slower than I would expect, PPK or not. Might still have something to do with adaptations and I will probably have the tech clear them next time it's in.

I also want to be sure that my criticisms don't convey the message that I don't like the PPK. These are just little nitpicks. I do indeed love the PPK.

Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 04:11 PM   #131
htoudiee
HT
Rep
Drives: BMW, AMG

Quote:

Minor pinging continues when accelerating in a high gear from low revs, and up steep hills. It did this before the PPK, and it might have even increased by a tiny bit after the PPK. Here in SoCal, I use top-tier 91 octane fuel.

Also, while throttle response has been sharpened noticeably for me while moving, the throttle still seems deadened when I blip the throttle at a standstill with the clutch in. So when I'm just about to release the clutch to start moving and I blip the throttle, the response is much slower than I would expect, PPK or not. Might still have something to do with adaptations and I will probably have the tech clear them next time it's in.

I also want to be sure that my criticisms don't convey the message that I don't like the PPK. These are just little nitpicks. I do indeed love the PPK.

I'm in SoCal and I have also noticed the slight pinging at low and high RPMs on the initial WOT. Car is 2011 335i Performance Edition.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 09:51 PM   #132
henry418
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Quote:

Does anyone have any idea what causes this? I have this problem too when slightly accelerating on highway speeds. I'll probably talk to the dealer this week about this since i have an appointment anyways but would be good to know if it's just normal or not.
Appreciate 0