E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW iPhone 5 Adapter in the Works. Expected Next June

Closed Thread

10-11-2012, 05:22 PM   #89
StreetheatLA
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 528i

iPod video out

New here and just trying to navigate through the posts.

Does the iPod video out affect navigating the phone through my idrive? Or is it just for video.

I have ordered the lightning adapter and I don't watch videos in the car. However, I'm not sure if the lack of video also affects my ability to control my phone and see track listings, address book etc..

Could anyone answer this for me please? Thx!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 07:43 PM   #90
watrob
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: MY2022 X5 M-Sport 45e White

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetheatLA View Post

Does the iPod video out affect navigating the phone through my idrive? Or is it just for video.

I have ordered the lightning adapter and I don't watch videos in the car. However, I'm not sure if the lack of video also affects my ability to control my phone and see track listings, address book etc..

It will affect the iPod feature out & feel to your iDrive.

I just don't understand why apple just did not go with a mini USB connection?

It would have kept all of us happy and probably would have picked up more customers, alot of people dislike iPhones because of this. If you think they have cornered the market imagine if it had a usb connection?

Long term everyone wants intergration to cross platforms, I think eventually you want your phone to talk direct to your computer and not muck around with special programs, itune's etc.

It will be interesting to see how future Microsft OS phones & W8 talk to each other and some cars are coming out with Windows based systems now.

Did'nt BMW talk about Windows based systems in there cars sometime back or they going that way? A wireless connections to your car will happen down the track as well as keeping Bluetooth.

With LTE (4G) sims being intergrated into futue BMW's via the snap in cradle (as per the press release by BMW a couple months back in Europe) a wireles connection to the Nav (CIC) from your laptop would be great for the kids in the back seat?

MY22 X5 M-Sport 45e White, 22"rims, Red Calipers, Ceramic Pads. Better off saying what it does not have and that's a B&O Audio System, otherwise all option boxes are ticked.

Last edited by watrob; 10-11-2012 at 07:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 05:02 AM   #91
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 535, F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetheatLA View Post

It will only effect the iPod video playing....

Everything else like music tracks/ control using steering buttons, etc... will work.
Address Book actually works via Bluetooth - so nothing to do with any cable.
      10-12-2012, 07:43 AM   #92
UAEBMW
Rep
Drives: M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspannu View Post
It will only effect the iPod video playing....

Everything else like music tracks/ control using steering buttons, etc... will work.
Address Book actually works via Bluetooth - so nothing to do with any cable.
Just want to get a final clarification for my case. (sorry if this is getting repetitive).

I have just ordered F20 (M135i) with the following media specs:

Navigation Professional
6NR Apps
6NF Extended connectivity music Phone
6NK Extended Connectivity Bluetooth USB
6AL BMW Live

I would just like to know the features would I get by connecting an iPhone 5 via the lightning cable.

Main things required is being able to access my music including track names & album art etc and charging.

I assume making calls an address book etc will be connected via bluetooth?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 09:42 AM   #93
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by zj View Post
Just want to get a final clarification for my case. (sorry if this is getting repetitive).

I have just ordered F20 (M135i) with the following media specs:

Navigation Professional
6NR Apps
6NF Extended connectivity music Phone
6NK Extended Connectivity Bluetooth USB
6AL BMW Live

I would just like to know the features would I get by connecting an iPhone 5 via the lightning cable.

Main things required is being able to access my music including track names & album art etc and charging.

I assume making calls an address book etc will be connected via bluetooth?
Yes, you'll get track info, library navigation (only while attached over USB or through cradle), Bluetooth calls, Bluetooth audio streaming, and full BMW Apps functionality EXCEPT the iPod Out interface and video playback of your library. If you're still not sure what iPod Out means, I've included a video below. You'll get everything else you hear all of us cool kids talking about.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 09:48 AM   #94
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by watrob View Post
I just don't understand why apple just did not go with a mini USB connection?

It would have kept all of us happy and probably would have picked up more customers, alot of people dislike iPhones because of this. If you think they have cornered the market imagine if it had a usb connection?
This has been asked and answered several times in several threads. If you take a look at the pinout diagram of the 30-pin connector, it's always been capable of outputting far more than a normal USB data signal, which was largely what enabled the existence of the huge swath of accessories out there -- including our cradles that can pull analog audio, digital audio for newer cars, and iPod Out. I'm sure that as the Lightning adapter is developed over its expected decade lifecycle (according to Apple), it too will have far more capabilities than USB. Could Apple have included a USB connector AND standards-based connectors for everything else it wanted to support rather than bundling all of that functionality into a single connector? Of course -- but Apple's minimalist design ethic would never allow that, it would complicate form-fitting accessory design and lead to more porous protective cases, and in an era where everything is getting thinner and lighter, the more excess ports that can be trimmed, the better (for Apple, at any rate).

A pure USB data connection would require more complex and expensive internals on attached accessories that could interface with the iPod's stored data in its native format -- which requires the accessories to support all formats that the iPhone does, and if the iPhone's file format support were expanded later or the APIs to access its data changed to support new functionality, compatibility with those accessories might break partially or completely, whereas if the iPhone decodes the data and outputs a raw signal, the accessories remain compatible into the future. USB-only connectivity would also mean that things like video output to TVs (or iDrive) would become impossible. You may not care about video out and frankly neither do I, but it's not as if Apple just arbitrarily decided to create a connector functionally identical to USB but just shaped differently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by watrob View Post
Long term everyone wants intergration to cross platforms, I think eventually you want your phone to talk direct to your computer and not muck around with special programs, itune's etc.
That's a great ideal, but that would require standards for everything, and new functionality would be held up until a standard for it were developed and broadly supported. I definitely like standards, but I also recognize Apple's huge success in having a completely vertically integrated iOS system. It's definitely proprietary and closed, but it delivers a first-rate user experience, I would argue for the most part far better than anything the competition has. Some people like being able to pick and choose a patchwork of standards-compliant solutions that best suit their needs to achieve their desired goals, but other people just want a single easy, integrated, comprehensive solution that works. I personally prefer the former on my PC which is why I use Windows, but I prefer the latter on my phone, which is why I have an iPhone.

Gone but not forgotten:

Last edited by jphughan; 10-12-2012 at 10:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 10:17 AM   #95
UAEBMW
Rep
Drives: M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
Yes, you'll get track info, library navigation (only while attached over USB or through cradle), Bluetooth calls, Bluetooth audio streaming, and full BMW Apps functionality EXCEPT the iPod Out interface and video playback of your library. If you're still not sure what iPod Out means, I've included a video below. You'll get everything else you hear all of us cool kids talking about.

Thank you! I can manage without ipod out. Saves me buying an additional device!
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 11:53 AM   #96
krusty
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 coupé

The problem is entirely BMW ... Every time a new iPhone comes out, they take about 8 months to produce a new snap-in adaptor. Every other third party audio add-on company gets up to date within a month ... but BMW take 8 months.

BMW should fire the firm doing this work for them, and get someone competent. They should also be able to sell these adaptors for at least half the price they currently charge. It gives a very poor image of BMW ... basically, that they are slow, kludgy and behind the times.

Time to smell the flowers, BMW ... the 21st C is here.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 03:50 PM   #97
StreetheatLA
Rep

Thanks so much!

Really appreciate the info. I'm glad to hear that I can in fact control the music tracks from idrive.

Now all I need is the lightning to 30 pin adapter!! Supposed to have it delivered this coming Tuesday!!
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 08:27 PM   #98
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

I don't see how lighting to 30 pin helps here. The lightning cable is a data cable - idrive results should be the same, no? I got one too, but now I ponder how good an idea it really was, what with a case and all- how will it fit?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2012, 12:32 AM   #99
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

BMW should just scrap the whole cradle development cycle. The cradle provides such little value it's completely redicious to continue.

The cost of this new cradle is going to be more than the phone. For what. A different iPod interface that cripples the rest of idrive. Video display when in park and debatable improvements to cellphone reception.

Just give folks additional USB ports in the center console and dump the cradles for good.

They should spend the time improving the apps platform and add news apps.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2012, 07:55 AM   #100
arnsbrae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post
BMW should just scrap the whole cradle development cycle. The cradle provides such little value it's completely redicious to continue.

The cost of this new cradle is going to be more than the phone. For what. A different iPod interface that cripples the rest of idrive. Video display when in park and debatable improvements to cellphone reception.

Just give folks additional USB ports in the center console and dump the cradles for good.

This is the best and most insightful post I've seen on this forum for some time.

If you had just added fix integration of iPhone SMS and email, you would have covered everything!

Will it be possible to fit a cradle and the LTE adaptor together anyway?
      10-13-2012, 10:09 AM   #101
Paul@BayShoreBMW
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 335XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnsbrae View Post
Couldn't agree more - you couldn't make this up.

"We've learned that BMW has already started work on the snap-in-adapters for the newest iPhone." Already eh?

How about they start work on getting an email on your iPhone to actually show up on the iDrive screen?
BMW release there update for the iPhone 5 / iOS 6 today! You can now read your new text with mobile office and your iPhone.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2012, 08:03 PM   #102
BMWKAMZZ67
Rep
Drives: '12 640i'Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@BayShoreBMW
Quote:
Couldn't agree more - you couldn't make this up.

"We've learned that BMW has already started work on the snap-in-adapters for the newest iPhone." Already eh?

How about they start work on getting an email on your iPhone to actually show up on the iDrive screen?
BMW release there update for the iPhone 5 / iOS 6 today! You can now read your new text with mobile office and your iPhone.
Where do we get this update?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2012, 06:08 PM   #103
watrob
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: MY2022 X5 M-Sport 45e White

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@BayShoreBMW View Post
If you read the PDF for this lastest update you will see it is for IOS 5 still, BMW have not updated the firmware for IOS 6 yet? and emails to iDive will not work until the bug in IOS 6 is fixed by Apple. (it last worked with IOS 6 Beta 3)

MY22 X5 M-Sport 45e White, 22"rims, Red Calipers, Ceramic Pads. Better off saying what it does not have and that's a B&O Audio System, otherwise all option boxes are ticked.

Last edited by watrob; 10-14-2012 at 07:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 01:54 PM   #104
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Knight_335 View Post
I don't see how lighting to 30 pin helps here. The lightning cable is a data cable - idrive results should be the same, no? I got one too, but now I ponder how good an idea it really was, what with a case and all- how will it fit?
The adapter converts the digital audio sent from the iPhone's Lightning connector into analog audio that can be used by cars that require an analog input via a Y-cable. iDevices with Lightning connectors no longer output analog audio signals the way devices with the 30-pin connector did, but the adapter has a DAC to restore that functionality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post
BMW should just scrap the whole cradle development cycle. The cradle provides such little value it's completely ridiculous to continue.

Spot on!

Quote:
This is the best and most insightful post I've seen on this forum for some time.

If you had just added fix integration of iPhone SMS and email, you would have covered everything!

Will it be possible to fit a cradle and the LTE adaptor together anyway?
Nope, the LTE hotspot uses the same baseplate connector and does not appear to offer a pass-through connector to stack a phone on top of it. But as the above post hinted, a mobile hotspot would actually make far better use of that connector than a phone IMHO. And before people say "Yes but you can just activate Mobile Hotspot on your cell phone", that's true, but that has its caveats:

1. Your phone might not support it.
2. Your phone might not support simultaneous voice and data.
3. Even if your phone DOES support simultaneous voice and data, it might drop from LTE to 3G data when you're on a call (AT&T does this).
4. LTE might not be available from your phone's carrier in your area and you might be unable/unwilling to switch your service to another carrier just to get LTE hotspot.
5. If you're not the only driver of said car, you can use this as a way to offer mobile hotspot without you being in the car or enabling Mobile Hotspot on everyone's phones.

Gone but not forgotten:
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 02:06 PM   #105
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Just posted this iPhone 5 / iOS 6 overview and FAQ

BMW iPhone 5 and iOS 6 Functions, Bluetooth and Y-Cable Overview and FAQ

Hope this is helpful.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 02:36 PM   #106
StreetheatLA
Rep

Lightning Adapter: Update

Just wanted to let everyone know that I just received my lightning adapter and all my iPhone 5 / iPod functionality is in-tact on my 2011 5 series. The only thing that you obviously cannot do is watch videos.
But in case there were others that are worried that they will no longer be able to control their iPod and/or iPhone (see track listings, song selection, control volume on steering wheel, charge, etc..) EVERY function works as normal, except for watching videos.

Note: unfortunately, my car was manufactured two months prior to BMW apps. As such, I cannot comment as to that functionality. But I'm certainly pleased that I can at least utilize the idrive functionality.

Thanks to everyone for your help and I apologize if my post is repetitive to what others may be posting.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 07:32 PM   #107
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

Thanks to all. Very informative.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 04:54 PM   #108
insane79
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 lci

any updates on the dock for the iphone 5
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 06:49 PM   #109
sheldon5060
Registered
Rep
Drives: 328

Iphone 6 will probably be released by then hahah
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 08:38 AM   #110
rpsmithii
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 F22

2009 E90 with standard y cable apple brand lightening adapter. All functions work except charging after recent update. Any insight?
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread