E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Any downsides with auto 335i in terms of performance mods?

07-07-2009, 12:59 AM   #67
aerodyte
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Dirt View Post
I disagree with so-called fact #2.
The Buick Grand National used an automatic tranny because the manual trannies could not handle the torque.
Currently the new supercharged Vette will only be available with an automatic for the same reason....

http://www.popularmechanics.com/blog...s/4219082.html
In the recent Road and Track, they compared the 335d and an Audi Diesel. The article stated that BMW will not produce a 335d in a manual version...because of the huge torque

To be fair, I love manuals. They will always be more fun than an automatic.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 01:04 AM   #68
jippii ensio
Major
Rep

Modding AT is even more rewarding. There are no downsides.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 01:22 AM   #69
retrodrive
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

seriously...what happened to all the guys in this country. I swear, BMs get purchased by somebody who is looking for some cupholders and going fast in a straight line. Why not just step up to an AMG if thats what you are looking for?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 01:48 AM   #70
Proper Motion LLC
Custom Powder Coater
Rep
Drives: White 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar design View Post
3.08 in the MN6, 3.46 in the Auto I believe. Part of the reason the Autos are faster.
Yep, and the autos have a taller overall 5th and 6th gears, so they get better highway MPG too
      07-07-2009, 08:01 AM   #71
Terrance28
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Crimson Red E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335lvr View Post
Haha .."Proven" huh???? Please don't cite car and driver or another car rag with different tracks and conditions. In one of the other million auto vs. manual threads I conceded that the auto is "consistently faster". Which is true.

You are correct, I don't agree. If someone is ballsy enough to do WOT shifts and don't care about their tranny...I'm confident that the manual will be right along side the auto. Not sure why everyone migrates to this off-topic banter.
What are you talking about I am not citing car and driver or any other magazine. I take their reviews with a grain of salt. I get my info from this site with everyday drivers. And dude knock it off do whatever kind of shifting you want you are not shifting as fast as a computer. And what off topic? People claimed that manuals are more fun, well to me paddle shifting is fun also.
      07-07-2009, 08:49 AM   #72
Andras
Bodhisattva
Italy
Rep
Drives: 335i E92 MY07

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts335 View Post
Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but I thought the 335d only comes with auto because the manual couldn't handle the torque.
335d only comes with auto so that no matter if you launch in D or in DS, it will launch in second gear instead of first gear, just to be sure not to sprint faster than a stock 335i from 0 to 62mph

never underestimate the dark side of BMW marketing........

335I E92 6AT - V3.2 - GRUPPE M - FMI - RR DOWNPIPES - AE EXHAUST HFC
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 08:53 AM   #73
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

I'd like to set fire to my paddles, and if they weren't attached to the car I would. The delay sucks and it's just not fun to "play manual." Ten percent of the time, I'm super pissed that I didn't get a 6MT, but 90% of my time is spent in traffic, glad that I didn't get a manual because my left knee consistently and randomly started to lock after my last injury.

The joy of a car like this in manual can not be matched by some silly flappy paddles, even if it is faster. Manual is more fun, auto in this case is consistently faster, and you couldn't pay me to drive a MT during my commute here.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 08:54 AM   #74
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andras View Post
335d only comes with auto so that no matter if you launch in D or in DS, it will launch in second gear instead of first gear, just to be sure not to sprint faster than a stock 335i from 0 to 62mph

never underestimate the dark side of BMW marketing........
I was not aware of this... The DS in that car uses 2nd to launch too?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 09:28 AM   #75
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
I was not aware of this... The DS in that car uses 2nd to launch too?
DS in the 335i uses 2nd to launch as well unless you manually shift it into first.

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 09:38 AM   #76
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 5 View Post
DS in the 335i uses 2nd to launch as well unless you manually shift it into first.
Hmm I was not aware of that. I don't feel a difference between a launch in DS and in M1.... You'd think it would be apparent.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 10:30 AM   #77
Kbueno
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrance28 View Post
What are you talking about I am not citing car and driver or any other magazine. I take their reviews with a grain of salt. I get my info from this site with everyday drivers. And dude knock it off do whatever kind of shifting you want you are not shifting as fast as a computer. And what off topic? People claimed that manuals are more fun, well to me paddle shifting is fun also.
So you get your info from non-professional, no control, variable modification peeps from this site.

It's cool, I really don't care. The topic was "any downsides with auto 335i in terms of performance mods". Not sure how that relates to the which is faster auto vs. manual stuff.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 10:32 AM   #78
ellipsis212
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
it's pretty much like, if your car isn't a professional race car (i.e. every single person on this board) then stop fretting over your exact specs and times. go w/ whatever feels more fun to you.

i honestly don't believe that BMW would release a car w/ a transmission that simply cannot stand up to the engine's power. just get whichever one you want more (which should be a manual since you want to have more fun driving around at speeds under 80mph most of the time )
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 10:39 AM   #79
Terrance28
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So you get your info from non-professional, no control, variable modification peeps from this site.

It's cool, I really don't care. The topic was "any downsides with auto 335i in terms of performance mods". Not sure how that relates to the which is faster auto vs. manual stuff.
Well I was commenting on the guy that said manuals are faster which they aren't and I was also commenting on the other guys who said autos are boring and manuals are fun which is personal preference. Non professionals or not most of the correct and helpful info comes off this board and the fact still remains that the autos are faster period.
      07-07-2009, 11:18 AM   #80
Dr_Dirt
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i 6AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerodyte View Post
In the recent Road and Track, they compared the 335d and an Audi Diesel. The article stated that BMW will not produce a 335d in a manual version...because of the huge torque

To be fair, I love manuals. They will always be more fun than an automatic.
I love manuals too, there's no replacement for having full control of when your car shifts and how it shifts.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 11:46 AM   #81
Insider
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtsx07 View Post
This morning I was driving in "D" mode which seems to shift the gears very fast from 1st to 6th. I was going up a two lane onramp that merges into one. I noticed that an SUV in the other lane was trying real hard to pass me so I gave the car a good amount of gas but the delay in downshifting made it not worth it to try and catch up. Long story short, I let the SUV pass.

That is possibly the only thing I will dislike about the auto. I cannot stand that delay in downshifting. If DS mode did not eat up so much gas, I would be using that for daily driving, but that is not practicle.

The thing that I like about the manual is that I have control over my shifts. At the onramp, I would have probably still been in 3rd or 4th gear so I would have had plenty of power to just gun it past the SUV.

I will be test driving a 6MT 335i soon to see how I will like it. I am not completely sold on either transmission so we will see.
So drive in manual mode. Problem solved.
      07-07-2009, 11:51 AM   #82
Drakos
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 G42 M240i

This is the way I look at it.. The manual is more fun because you are more with the car. You can engage/shift gears directly, where as the steptronic you have to press more than one click (ie..4th to 2nd). Autos eliminate human error, like missed gears or improper gear selection resulting in pre-mature wear. Look at youtube and how many times people miss gears or fry clutches at the track. I think the actual manual tranny will hold more torque but because of user input error, the auto is better to eliminate the user error creating premature damage. For autos, the problem lies usually in the overdrive gears. They are not designed to handle high levels of boost. Thankfully we have cars with very good ecms/pcms to regulate pressure. I have seen turbo cars in auto that have litterally fried the overdrive gears. I have an auto because the traffic here is getting really shitty and I often like driving drinking a bevvy or woofing down a burger. There are some mods that are useless in an auto like a bov unless you let go of the gas everytime you shift.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 12:34 PM   #83
Kbueno
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well I was commenting on the guy that said manuals are faster which they aren't and I was also commenting on the other guys who said autos are boring and manuals are fun which is personal preference. Non professionals or not most of the correct and helpful info comes off this board and the fact still remains that the autos are faster period.
haha...consistently faster yes! There is no fact that they are faster. Comes down to driver in the manual.....and it would be so close (assuming perfect launch and shifting) that it wouldn't matter. I'm done with this circular argument.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 03:46 PM   #84
Terrance28
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
haha...consistently faster yes! There is no fact that they are faster. Comes down to driver in the manual.....and it would be so close (assuming perfect launch and shifting) that it wouldn't matter. I'm done with this circular argument.
So basically you would need a professional driver to beat an average joe haha. Yeah that would back you up after a race, "You know you wouldn't have won if I was a better driver right". Lets just agree to disagree.
      07-07-2009, 03:51 PM   #85
Terrance28
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakos View Post
This is the way I look at it.. The manual is more fun because you are more with the car. You can engage/shift gears directly, where as the steptronic you have to press more than one click (ie..4th to 2nd). Autos eliminate human error, like missed gears or improper gear selection resulting in pre-mature wear. Look at youtube and how many times people miss gears or fry clutches at the track. I think the actual manual tranny will hold more torque but because of user input error, the auto is better to eliminate the user error creating premature damage. For autos, the problem lies usually in the overdrive gears. They are not designed to handle high levels of boost. Thankfully we have cars with very good ecms/pcms to regulate pressure. I have seen turbo cars in auto that have litterally fried the overdrive gears. I have an auto because the traffic here is getting really shitty and I often like driving drinking a bevvy or woofing down a burger. There are some mods that are useless in an auto like a bov unless you let go of the gas everytime you shift.

Unless you are using it to replace the plastic weak dvs. Although I like the sound of the bov, the reason I bought it for was because my stock dvs were leaking boost, now its not an issue anymore. Sometimes I do let it off to hear the whoosh though.
      07-07-2009, 04:33 PM   #86
Kbueno
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So basically you would need a professional driver to beat an average joe haha. Yeah that would back you up after a race, "You know you wouldn't have won if I was a better driver right". Lets just agree to disagree.
Not even beat...just stay along side. Yes, agreed.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 05:38 PM   #87
XLR8MF
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i sedan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Dirt View Post
I disagree with so-called fact #2.
The Buick Grand National used an automatic tranny because the manual trannies could not handle the torque.
Currently the new supercharged Vette will only be available with an automatic for the same reason....

http://www.popularmechanics.com/blog...s/4219082.html
Yes I stand corrected. I had that particular fact backwards. I was actually looking to purchase the new CTS-V and found an article stating the same that the auto handles the torque better but the down side is it takes a little away in 6th gear WOT horsepower. However, the CTS-V and the corvette in your post are more powerful than even a tuned 335i.

Really just get what you can stand to drive day in and day out and don't look back. No regrets, have fun.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 11:41 PM   #88
ablangc
Rep
Drives: 2009 Jet Black 335i

I have driven manuals for +16 years. The 335i auto i just bought is my first ever auto car. The ONLY thing i hate about the auto is my second nature left foot. I have been driving manuals for so long that at times when i don't think about it, my left foot wanders trying to find the clutch to downshift and end up stepping on the brake. DOH!
Appreciate 0