E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > OMG Terrible weekend at the 'Ring.

08-16-2010, 03:30 PM   #1
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
OMG Terrible weekend at the 'Ring.

Just finished talking to a mate who has just got back from the Ring Last weekend. (The one just before one just gone)

5 peope died. Two Bikers on spilt oil, two bikers on the main road to and from the Ring and one lad in his group who drowned in a pond. (He was drunk0
HOW AWFUL.

OMG....
      08-16-2010, 03:53 PM   #2
marcel b
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post

Just finished talking to a mate who has just got back from the Ring Last weekend. (The one just before one just gone)

5 peope died. Two Bikers on spilt oil, two bikers on the main road to and from the Ring and one lad in his group who drowned in a pond. (He was drunk0
HOW AWFUL.

OMG....
OMG Terrible to hear.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2010, 04:02 PM   #3
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
damn...
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2010, 04:05 PM   #4
Captain Chaos
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: cars n stuff

Holy crap that sucks
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2010, 01:50 AM   #5
Steve A
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: too much

Without sounding cold hearted, anyone who goes swimming drunk is asking for it, and motorbiking is inherently dangerous and fatalities especially at the ring never surprise me.

However it is sad news.
      08-17-2010, 02:46 AM   #6
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 xDrive35d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve A View Post
Without sounding cold hearted
You? Cold Hearted?? Never!

Ring is a very dangerous place and stories like this just compound the point. Those of us who go quite regularly are sometimes quick to get rather blase about the place but sadly it is a numbers game to a certain extent. Things like oil spills are impossible to ready for as you just never know where or when that might happen. As for the bikers, they have enormous balls to throw a bike around that place and i take my hats off to them. Ive ridden my bikes around the Ring a few times and its one of the most scariest things ive ever done. I personally wont ever ride a bike round there ever again as i consider it far too dangerous to mix both cars and bikes at the same time.
      08-17-2010, 03:07 AM   #7
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

Garage List
That's a stupidly large number of deaths.

Very sad.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2010, 07:46 AM   #8
Steve A
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVIEHOOPS View Post
You? Cold Hearted?? Never!

Ring is a very dangerous place and stories like this just compound the point. Those of us who go quite regularly are sometimes quick to get rather blase about the place but sadly it is a numbers game to a certain extent. Things like oil spills are impossible to ready for as you just never know where or when that might happen. As for the bikers, they have enormous balls to throw a bike around that place and i take my hats off to them. Ive ridden my bikes around the Ring a few times and its one of the most scariest things ive ever done. I personally wont ever ride a bike round there ever again as i consider it far too dangerous to mix both cars and bikes at the same time.

I don't doubt the size of said testicles, but size of brain is definitely in question. But some people jump out of planes for fun so its up to each person to make their own decisions in life an live or don't live with the consequences.

Again 5 deaths is sad.
      08-17-2010, 12:35 PM   #9
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I don't doubt the size of said testicles, but size of brain is definitely in question
Totally agree!
      08-17-2010, 01:44 PM   #10
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
But some people jump out of planes for fun
Which oddly enough is incredibly safe.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2010, 04:51 PM   #11
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X70 on the way

I was speaking to Will about this last week when i had the pleasure of his company in Glasgow, and i'm a shit bag. I'd only go if i could get out with Shoysman (sp?) and Colin Hoad of CATDT on a private day. I missed it this year, but maybe next if i have the time.

Considering the car i'd be taking - if i got it wrong at the speeds it does, i'd be dead.

Terrible, especially for those left behind to pick up the pieces.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 02:24 AM   #12
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterS3 View Post
I was speaking to Will about this last week when i had the pleasure of his company
Is that a typo fella!!?? "pleasure, Will?" - are you sure????
      08-18-2010, 02:36 AM   #13
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

Again, I agree it's sad news, but from how it reads only two deaths on the track.

Without being too much of a dick - the two bikers on the road leading in must have been behaving stupidly (or someone else was) whilst the drunk lad... Well Steve has covered that.

Matt
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 03:05 AM   #14
MattOz
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Alpina F31 B3

Garage List
2011 E90 M3  [0.00]
Carl,

That is a crappy weekend. No doubt. Can't help but feel sorry to all involved and their friends and families.

I was thinking about my visits to the Ring and I don't think there's been a weekend when I've been there that there hasn't been an accident that's lead to the untimely demise of a biker, whether that's at the Ring, or in hospital later. I personally know at least one guy who knew the Ring better than 99% of people who go there and who lost control on some oil and tragically died as a result. RIP Joerund.

Either way, it's a dangerous place and we shouldn't get complacent. I've been going there for 11 years and it's just got busier and busier on public days. That's not a problem, but it just means there's more opportunity to get tangled up in someone elses' accident or close down newbies very quickly and this can also lead to problems.

My bike will stay at home as when/if I have an off at the Ring, I'd prefer some metal and airbags around me at that time.

Matt
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 05:21 AM   #15
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X70 on the way

Quote:
Is that a typo fella!!?? "pleasure, Will?" - are you sure????
He's a sensitive chap, so have to be nice to him in public
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 06:07 AM   #16
vikzE92
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Carbon Black

Quote:
Without sounding cold hearted, anyone who goes swimming drunk is asking for it, and motorbiking is inherently dangerous and fatalities especially at the ring never surprise me.

However it is sad news.
Love the response Steve my kind of answer!!

It is a shame as it is supposed to be a place for fun and excitement !
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 08:16 AM   #17
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikzE92 View Post
Love the response Steve my kind of answer!!

It is a shame as it is supposed to be a place for fun and excitement !
It is a place for fun and excitement. The only problem is when people, and that's both car and bike users, disrespect the environment they are in. If people think the 'Ring is a playground and ignore other users, eventually they'll get themselves in trouble, be it of their own making or because they've cut up too many other drivers.

Give you an example - was out on the 'Ring yesterday afternoon and it was pretty greasy having rained slightly a few minutes before. Chap on an Italian-registered Ducati decides to go out in front of us and plays about warming up his tyres by weaving around. He is totally oblivious to the fact there's a car behind him, and he motors off through the chicanes taking the middle line up to the first right hander. For some reason, he decides he can take a late turn in and cuts sharply in front of our car. This happens for the next six or seven corners, each time not letting us go past. We hold back thinking that if we pushed him he might do something really stupid, and lo and behold on the eighth or ninth corner he attempts to drift his bike all the way through onto the straight, not noticing the darker patch of tarmac which signaled loud and clear - "wet and slippery".

What happens? He ends up sliding sideways into the curb, flipping him sideways off his bike and back-first into the armco. We stopped obviously and went to help - fortunately for him he was miraculously ok, but had this totally reprehensible attitude trying to blame us for making him crash!! He claimed we were driving too close to him and pressured him into making a mistake. In reality, we were one corner back in the chicane complex thinking that he was going to lose it eventually. The other thing is, if he knew that we wanted to go past, why didn't he let us?! It's an ego thing in many cases, and unfortunately it's the egos on the 'Ring that end up causing most destruction.

Obviously there are incidents where crashes happen due to oil or gravel on the track - these can't be helped and that's where bikers have a great disadvantage over cars.

The 'Ring remains a fun and exciting place, but I only wished that some people had more respect for not only the track, but for other 'Ringers as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 08:39 AM   #18
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Sadly for some, because they see the ring as off road and private, it gives them carte blanche to do whatever. I think the same can be said for many track day venues, but the thing with the ring is the feeling of being out of sight for most of the circuit.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 09:35 AM   #19
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Fan View Post
It is a place for fun and excitement. The only problem is when people, and that's both car and bike users, disrespect the environment they are in. If people think the 'Ring is a playground and ignore other users, eventually they'll get themselves in trouble, be it of their own making or because they've cut up too many other drivers.

Give you an example - was out on the 'Ring yesterday afternoon and it was pretty greasy having rained slightly a few minutes before. Chap on an Italian-registered Ducati decides to go out in front of us and plays about warming up his tyres by weaving around. He is totally oblivious to the fact there's a car behind him, and he motors off through the chicanes taking the middle line up to the first right hander. For some reason, he decides he can take a late turn in and cuts sharply in front of our car. This happens for the next six or seven corners, each time not letting us go past. We hold back thinking that if we pushed him he might do something really stupid, and lo and behold on the eighth or ninth corner he attempts to drift his bike all the way through onto the straight, not noticing the darker patch of tarmac which signaled loud and clear - "wet and slippery".

What happens? He ends up sliding sideways into the curb, flipping him sideways off his bike and back-first into the armco. We stopped obviously and went to help - fortunately for him he was miraculously ok, but had this totally reprehensible attitude trying to blame us for making him crash!! He claimed we were driving too close to him and pressured him into making a mistake. In reality, we were one corner back in the chicane complex thinking that he was going to lose it eventually. The other thing is, if he knew that we wanted to go past, why didn't he let us?! It's an ego thing in many cases, and unfortunately it's the egos on the 'Ring that end up causing most destruction.

Obviously there are incidents where crashes happen due to oil or gravel on the track - these can't be helped and that's where bikers have a great disadvantage over cars.

The 'Ring remains a fun and exciting place, but I only wished that some people had more respect for not only the track, but for other 'Ringers as well.
I have a similar memory, it goes a bit like this....

Matt:*pulls well to the right but should be cutting across the double 90 degree turn after... umm... is it Ice curve Tone?*

Tone: 'Matt, turn into the fucking corner'

Matt: 'Ummm'

Tone: 'TURN IN, NOOOOW'

Matt: 'I can't'

Tone: 'Why?'

Matt: 'Because of the fucking bellend in the E46 CSL (who was about to go all kinds of wrong) driving alongside your head, about an inch from the inside window undertaking us!!!'

Tone: 'C***!!!!'

Yeah. The ring has some bellends there, and some noobs, and some great people... It's a bit like the M1 I suppose.

Matt
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2010, 03:21 AM   #20
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Ive heard and read all these stories time and time again - and i could add many more of my own, from both car and bike perspective - there are as many dick head drivers as there are dick head bikers both on the normal roads, track days and at the Ring - i totally agree that it is more often than not an ego thing - i even had a guy in a bashed up transit van refusing point blank to let me pass and even weaving from left to right to actually physically prevent me passing once when i was doing a lap in the R35 GT-R, i eventually passed on one of the straights (albeit i had to almost put 2 wheels on the grass to do the pass as he did his best to stop me overtaking), saw him a few hours later getting out of said van near the ticket booth so i decided to confront him about it, all he could say with a huge grin on his fat face was "you still couldnt get past me for at least 15 corners though could you and you were driving that and i was in a van...." to which i replied "i could have quite easily passed you, but it simply wasnt worth the risk to either you nor me or anyone else around us for that matter to attempt it" - anyway, the Ring is a very dangerous place and needs to be shown respect at all times - and i still think they should stop allowing bikes and cars to go out at the same time.
      08-19-2010, 11:00 PM   #21
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Quote:
... - anyway, the Ring is a very dangerous place and needs to be shown respect at all times - and i still think they should stop allowing bikes and cars to go out at the same time.
I agree with you Steve. Would anyone complain if the marshalls alternated between bikes only and cars only at, say, 90 minute intervals? The one thing I was uncomfortable about was the bikers coming up behind me hell bent for leather and sometimes passing me just as I was about to make my turn-ins. Of course, there were also times when a car would do the same thing.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2010, 01:18 AM   #22
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoYank View Post
I agree with you Steve. Would anyone complain if the marshalls alternated between bikes only and cars only at, say, 90 minute intervals?
I may be wrong but i think the reason they cant/dont/wont make such definite changes is due to the fact that it is still effectively a TOLL road and thus a public highway etc. To be honest this may very well be at the crux of the problem. We all know how absurd a contention it is that its still legally a toll road when its far from regarded as such by those that use it. That said, if it ever did cease to become a toll road i guess then it automatically becomes an official race track which could in itself lead to even more tragedy and disaster.