E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Resetting the brake pad indicator (E90)

08-17-2010, 08:24 PM   #1
cruvon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90

Resetting the brake pad indicator (E90)

I found a "you tube" video

that clearly explains how to reset indicators on your e90 3 series, in my case was needed for the brake pad indicator since replaced my front brake pads recently at an external garage. After replacing the front pads a handbrake symbol and the brake pad wear indicators didn't reset automatically which I understand has to be reset on the onboard computer.
So took it back to the garage and he tried using a computer to reset it, however the kms on the brake pad setting has changed to "------" and the brake pad indicators turned yellow when he reset(they are normally red).He tried resetting the rear brake pad indicator which was showing the brake pads fine just to check and that too has changed to "------" and the indicators turned yellow.
He reckoned it might be because the hand brake sign is showing so the computer is not reasetting on restart. Could it be a handbrake problem or is it normal for the handbrake signal to show when the brake pads wear out and they just need to be reset?

When I tried resetting the brake pad wear indicator using the you tube video instructions it still doesn't reset, the kms on the brake pad setting is still "------" and the indicators are still yellow, anyone has a clue how to reset it or experienced something similar?
Tiag E90 | JBSPEED Spli t t ers | JBSPEED ACS style Roof Spoiler | JBSPEED M3 style Trunk spoiler | Euro plates | K&N Intake | BMW OEM Performance Exhaust | Debadged | OEM Chromeline trim |230 OEM rims | 19" Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 Non runflats | OEM Burr Walnut Gear knob | OEM Blacklines | OEM Spacesaver |

Last edited by cruvon; 08-17-2010 at 08:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2010, 09:10 PM   #2
dcg71
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

Are you sure they replaced the sensor when they changed the front pads? They can't be reset without changing the sensor.
2000 E46 318i Cosmos Black
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2010, 09:34 PM   #3
cruvon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcg71 View Post
Are you sure they replaced the sensor when they changed the front pads? They can't be reset without changing the sensor.
yes he did, I had ordered the sensors and brake pads from the UK and watched him install them. Note that it did reset but without the kms left reading, the brake pad icon is in yellow.
Tiag E90 | JBSPEED Spli t t ers | JBSPEED ACS style Roof Spoiler | JBSPEED M3 style Trunk spoiler | Euro plates | K&N Intake | BMW OEM Performance Exhaust | Debadged | OEM Chromeline trim |230 OEM rims | 19" Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 Non runflats | OEM Burr Walnut Gear knob | OEM Blacklines | OEM Spacesaver |

Last edited by cruvon; 08-17-2010 at 09:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 01:49 AM   #4
dcg71
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

"------" is what shows up when the warning goes off, so it hasn't been reset, at least not successfully.

I still reckon its the sensor, and most likely because it wasn't replaced, or is faulty.
2000 E46 318i Cosmos Black

Last edited by dcg71; 08-18-2010 at 02:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 02:10 AM   #5
cruvon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
"------" is what shows up when the warning goes off, so it hasn't been reset, at least not successfully.

I still reckon its the sensor, and most likely because it wasn't replaced, or is faulty.
The thing is the mechanic tried resetting the sensor for the rear brake pads too to see if there was some problem with resetting( this rear brake sensor was working and correctly showing about 8,000kms left). Resetting the rear brake pad cleared the data for the rear brake pad and shows in yellow with no data, same as for the replaced front sensor indicator so didn't look like a sensor problem
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 02:23 AM   #6
cruvon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

The display with blank kms is similar to this image I found on the forum
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 06:32 AM   #7
cruvon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Just a quick update on this, retried the same steps as in the you tube video again after saw some posts that said need do it a few times if doesn't work at first and it has worked..brake pad indicators, the parking light and service due indicators have all reset to normal!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2010, 08:39 AM   #8
mark325
Europhile
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 06 E90 325i Manual

cruvon,

The Brake Pad sensors on the E90's wear down as you use your brakes.

You MUST replace the sensor when you replace the pads and only reset the service indicator when you replace the sensor. If you reset the service indicator when the sensors are below a certain wear level you will fire off the fault you are seeing.

I Made the same mistake with my car but I simulated the sensor wear level using a Resistor and then performed the reset so the car thought it had new pad sensors. I then Put the old sensor back in and the usage went back to where it was. Id say you probably have a faulty front sensor or was damaged during install and your rear has now been reset so your going to need a new sensor or simulate a new sensor.

BMW's diagnostic machine or INPA will tell you exactly what the wear percentage is which would tell you what the front sensor is doing.

Hope thats of some help

'06 E90 325i 6MT | Full M3 Kit | H&R Euro Race | VMR V710 | Colour Kidneys

AusBMW :: My Tutorials
Appreciate 1
jh_f301306.00
      08-19-2010, 11:06 PM   #9
cruvon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark325 View Post
cruvon,

You MUST replace the sensor when you replace the pads and only reset the service indicator when you replace the sensor. If you reset the service indicator when the sensors are below a certain wear level you will fire off the fault you are seeing.

I Made the same mistake with my car but I simulated the sensor wear level using a Resistor and then performed the reset so the car thought it had new pad sensors. I then Put the old sensor back in and the usage went back to where it was. Id say you probably have a faulty front sensor or was damaged during install and your rear has now been reset so your going to need a new sensor or simulate a new sensor.

BMW's diagnostic machine or INPA will tell you exactly what the wear percentage is which would tell you what the front sensor is doing.

Hope thats of some help
Thanks Mark..did manage reset it after a few tries using the procedure in the you tube video link I previously posted but next time I put in new pads will surely make sure I keep your suggestions in mind too, appreciate that...as for the rear brake pad sensor that was reset just for trial purposes do you mean that the kms left it's now showing could be incorrect because it was reset though time was still left on it? Shouldn't it properly calculate kms left even if is reset?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 02:32 PM   #10
mikeymika
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 320i, ROUTE nav.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark325 View Post
cruvon,

Hope thats of some help
I made the same mistake and would like to try it with a resistor. can you tell me what the resistor value was that you used when you did this?

thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 12:58 AM   #11
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: Silver 320i E90 6MT

I don't think the brake sensor wears down as your brake pads wear down, what actually happens is that when your pads are worn the sensor wears away triggering the sensor light... at that point you need to replace the sensor.

If you replace your pads before the sensor light triggers then you don't need a new sensor cable.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2016, 03:55 AM   #12
nilesd22
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 335i

any word on what resistor he used?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2016, 06:11 AM   #13
EB89
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i e92 DCT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilesd22 View Post
any word on what resistor he used?
Why would you want to do this, don't fuck with your brakes.

Replace the pads and sensors at the same time then have them coded properly.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2016, 07:48 PM   #14
Daenerys
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

you can thank me later.

1. remove your old sensor.
2. get two of these pins
http://www.buildcomputers.net/images...connectors.jpg
3. cut them and wire them together.
4. plug it into your brake sensor to short them
5. reset it via the method above.
6. plug your old sensor back in.

reason: each sensor you buy, the resistance is different, this is how your car knows you've changed them. if you reset using the same sensor, it would not work.
Appreciate 0