E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Power Steering Fluid Mystery

12-05-2013, 02:25 AM   #1
msall
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Power Steering Fluid Mystery

Hey, Guys

My car is equipped with BMW's active steering and i recently noticed my steering wheel fluid was low. I checked the cap and it says CHF-11s just like all cars equipped with active steering. However after popping the cap off and looking inside it appears my car has the red ATF dexIII instead of the green CHF-11s. The steering wheel fluid has never been changed and I honestly cant see why there would be ATF inside instead of CHF. My question is if i bleed the system through the banjo fitting will this completely evacuate the ATF fluid? as mixing CHF and ATF is apparently bad news or should I just stick with the ATF stuff?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2013, 10:44 PM   #2
TheeGovernor
Life is better with burnouts
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
The fluid becomes dark over its lifetime. Follow the diy for a flush for power steering. Use the oil its says too on the cap. Drain and refill the reservoir of fluid
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 06:34 PM   #3
e90.enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09' E90 335xi LCI M-Sport 6 MT

Take a baster and suck out fluid from the reservoir. If you hold up a flashlight to it you should be able to make out if it has a green tint to it or not. You should go with what is recommended which is on the cap. Draining the powers steering fluid from the reservoir and putting new one in took care of sound coming from the rack so its worth doing for sure. Goodluck!
      03-05-2014, 11:30 PM   #4
The_TFMW
Rep
Drives: 08 335i Convertible M Sport

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
do you have to worry about any air getting into the system when draining the ps fluid from the banjo bolt? i read about that somewhere but idk though... or is it simple full drain and then pour fresh ps fluid back in?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 05:25 AM   #5
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_TFMW View Post
do you have to worry about any air getting into the system when draining the ps fluid from the banjo bolt? i read about that somewhere but idk though... or is it simple full drain and then pour fresh ps fluid back in?
The air will bleed out. NTW
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 01:20 PM   #6
dylim
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328xi

You might want to check the TIS or with the dealership. Some caps come with stickers that say one thing, and then the sticker falls off, and the plastic cap itself says another. Using the stickers allows different cars to use the same part.
Appreciate 0