E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Fu*k GEICO's glass policy

05-04-2016, 03:00 PM   #67
NiNeTyOne
Touring cars rock
United_States
Rep
Drives: e91 330xi / 997 GT3 Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Well accept for all the supplier awards from most of the major auto manufacturers... And no company is going to manufacture to two different specs between OEM and aftermarket for the same part. The price difference wouldn't make up for the logistics costs of keeping to processes running in the same plant. You are just paying for the Roundel.

You think BMW builds cars in China to a different specification in China vs. the US vs. South Africa vs. Germany?
I'm certain of it. Cars sold in Canada are a different spec from cars sold in the US. Cars in the EU are different from those in the US.

It's almost guaranteed that certain parts that do not need to meed strict EU standards will be replaced by lesser parts in other markets.

The China market is enormous, and they even make Chinese only BMW models (like the stretch 5 series) that are specific to that market.

It makes no sense from a business standpoint to make cars that meet EU crash standards, when all that's required is Chinese standards. You can increase profits by tens, if not hundreds of millions.

No big corporation leaves that kind of money on the table.
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2016, 09:06 PM   #68
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiNeTyOne View Post
I'm certain of it. Cars sold in Canada are a different spec from cars sold in the US. Cars in the EU are different from those in the US.

It's almost guaranteed that certain parts that do not need to meed strict EU standards will be replaced by lesser parts in other markets.

The China market is enormous, and they even make Chinese only BMW models (like the stretch 5 series) that are specific to that market.

It makes no sense from a business standpoint to make cars that meet EU crash standards, when all that's required is Chinese standards. You can increase profits by tens, if not hundreds of millions.

No big corporation leaves that kind of money on the table.
I disagree. To build a 3 series in China and for the EU to different specification means redesigning the entire car. Use different gauge sheet metal? means redesigned tooling and production engineering. Use thinner glass? redesigned tooling and re-sized A-pillars, door glass mechanisms. It is more expensive to redesign the car (parts) than just build to one world-wide spec. Minor derivatives are market-specific and cost effective to implement, but the major design of the car is designed and built to a world-wide specification.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 10:42 PM   #69
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
I disagree. To build a 3 series in China and for the EU to different specification means redesigning the entire car. Use different gauge sheet metal? means redesigned tooling and production engineering. Use thinner glass? redesigned tooling and re-sized A-pillars, door glass mechanisms. It is more expensive to redesign the car (parts) than just build to one world-wide spec. Minor derivatives are market-specific and cost effective to implement, but the major design of the car is designed and built to a world-wide specification.
I agree, it could be that China has sub 320i models, and that the same model could have different features, obviously xenons, leds, halogens, etc., but unlikely door panels, oem glass, etc.

But I can honestly say the 328i F30 feels like lesser of a car than my E92...so in that case yes maybe some stuff is cheapified when compared to a 335i E92.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 10:59 PM   #70
MrSteak
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' 335i Coupe (6-speed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
Not sure if it's all in my head or what. But once I realized that all the glass on the 328i I'm driving was made by Fuyao, it's like the car didn't handle as well anymore and the motor was kind of rough even for a four banger...
It's more about quality materials than poor engineering.

I love my 335i, but they clearly skimped on a lot of interior trim pieces compared to older generation BMWs.

Quote:

You think BMW builds cars in China to a different specification in China vs. the US vs. South Africa vs. Germany?
Yes & No.

It's possible that BMW may just build a cheaper model for the Chinese market. Fewer or different regulations/standards in China can lead to cost cutting and an inferior product. Or it's simply the chinese workers.... Who knows?

If you remember back a few years when Toyota/Lexus had massive recalls; the problems were isolated to vehicles manufactured in the US, while those made in Japan were unaffected. Again, the vehicles were probably designed to the same specifications, but the problem was isolated to vehicles manufactured by the US.

Or just look at the Takata airbag recall.... A Japanese company that probably designed a great product, but it's ruined by manufacturing in Mexico.
      05-04-2016, 11:23 PM   #71
NiNeTyOne
Touring cars rock
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ride in one in Beijing and it's pretty clear.

But this NYT article makes it pretty clear that Brilliance (who makes the BMW's in China under license) isn't making the same car that's coming out of EU and US factories:

"FRANKFURT — The German automaker BMW said Wednesday that it would significantly expand its operations in the fast-growing Chinese market, doubling the number of models it produces there and extending its alliance with a local partner, Brilliance China Automotive Holdings.

BMW said it would increase the number of models it produces in China to six from three, including a new, lower-price model positioned below the company’s flagship 3 Series and designed specifically for China. And during the next two years, BMW will increase capacity at two Chinese factories, both in the northeastern city of Shenyang, to 400,000 vehicles per year, from 300,000.

While lucrative, China is also a highly competitive market, with dozens of domestic brands, pushing automakers like BMW to more closely tailor their products to local demands rather than simply copying cars designed for Europe and the United States."

This thread is way past hijacked now. :/

Last edited by NiNeTyOne; 05-05-2016 at 01:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 04:59 AM   #72
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ride in one in Beijing and it's pretty clear.

But this NYT article makes it pretty clear that Brilliance (who makes the BMW's in China under license) isn't making the same car that's coming out of EU and US factories:

"FRANKFURT — The German automaker BMW said Wednesday that it would significantly expand its operations in the fast-growing Chinese market, doubling the number of models it produces there and extending its alliance with a local partner, Brilliance China Automotive Holdings.

BMW said it would increase the number of models it produces in China to six from three, including a new, lower-price model positioned below the company’s flagship 3 Series and designed specifically for China. And during the next two years, BMW will increase capacity at two Chinese factories, both in the northeastern city of Shenyang, to 400,000 vehicles per year, from 300,000.

While lucrative, China is also a highly competitive market, with dozens of domestic brands, pushing automakers like BMW to more closely tailor their products to local demands rather than simply copying cars designed for Europe and the United States."

This thread is way past hijacked now. :/
Where in that article does it indicate the Chinese market BMWs are built to a different quality standard? Not sure the term "flagship model" applies to the 3-series... 7-series is BMW's "Flagship". And BMW is introducing a "lower priced" 1-series model below the 3-series for world sales. It's front drive and based off the Mini.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 05:06 AM   #73
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
I agree, it could be that China has sub 320i models, and that the same model could have different features, obviously xenons, leds, halogens, etc., but unlikely door panels, oem glass, etc.

But I can honestly say the 328i F30 feels like lesser of a car than my E92...so in that case yes maybe some stuff is cheapified when compared to a 335i E92.
BMW has always sold high-end market (i.e. lots of standard content) versions of it's cars in the US as compared to Europe. But the base quality attributes of the cars is the same between them. The vehicle content and market tolerance of price is the variable in the sales price of the same car sold in different countries.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 07:13 AM   #74
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

what one could do is to use one of them fancy Brother label makers with the laminated TZe tape. Print "Saint Gobain Sekurit" and just stick it on your windshield, 6 windows (assuming sedan), and rear glass, and totally cover Fuyao. This is the only way that I think you can restore the lost torque and prestige....
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 07:15 AM   #75
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
BMW has always sold high-end market (i.e. lots of standard content) versions of it's cars in the US as compared to Europe. But the base quality attributes of the cars is the same between them. The vehicle content and market tolerance of price is the variable in the sales price of the same car sold in different countries.
Actually, even as a kid, I thought about this...say you buy a base 320i for 35k. You likely are getting many of the underpinnings of a 340i that costs 60k. Kind of like when you buy a less expensive/smaller home in a nice neighborhood.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 01:21 PM   #76
NiNeTyOne
Touring cars rock
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Where in that article does it indicate the Chinese market BMWs are built to a different quality standard? Not sure the term "flagship model" applies to the 3-series... 7-series is BMW's "Flagship". And BMW is introducing a "lower priced" 1-series model below the 3-series for world sales. It's front drive and based off the Mini.
I've actually ridden in a Chinese built BMW in China. I'm not making this shit up. They are not made by BMW, they are made by a company jointly owned by BMW, the Chinese govt. & Brilliance. The joint venture is called BMW Brilliance Automotive, Ltd., China.

Here's an article about one of the non-BMW Brilliance cars tested 3 years after they built the first Brilliance BMW's, and it wasn't good news.

Here's a bit more on this as well, and note the special attention paid to the fact that they are basing Chinese models on older models to keep from leaking current tech to Chinese companies known for stealing foreign tech.

This thread is way off topic at this point.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 03:17 AM   #77
sunny
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, e90 330i

mercury insurance all the way.

I highly recommend Mercury insurance.
they approved original front windshield for my car.
but you don't want the original windshield because they don't have tint on them.
aftermarket windshield has tint on them so I went with aftermarket windshield.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSteak View Post
$3,200/year (for 8 years!) w/ glass.... and they won't cover an OEM windshield replacement.

Also, a while back my water pump died, and although the policy says they'll tow a car up to 100 miles, they wouldn't tow my car 8 miles to my local shop (because there was a BMW dealer 5 miles away).
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 11:04 AM   #78
MrSteak
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' 335i Coupe (6-speed)

Quote:
I've actually ridden in a Chinese built BMW in China. I'm not making this shit up. They are not made by BMW, they are made by a company jointly owned by BMW, the Chinese govt. & Brilliance. The joint venture is called BMW Brilliance Automotive, Ltd., China.

Here's an article about one of the non-BMW Brilliance cars tested 3 years after they built the first Brilliance BMW's, and it wasn't good news.

Here's a bit more on this as well, and note the special attention paid to the fact that they are basing Chinese models on older models to keep from leaking current tech to Chinese companies known for stealing foreign tech.

EXACTLY!

Like I've been saying all along. It's laughable how naive people are to believe that Chinese built BMW's are remotely as well manufactured as those in Germany...... Let alone "the same".

Still not THAT off topic. It went from Abraham Lincoln's all glass is created equal, to all BMW's are created equal, when in fact neither is true.
      05-06-2016, 02:13 PM   #79
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

So one article said BMW had no involvement with production of the car that failed the crash testing. The other article stated BMW is forced to build cars in China using a Chinese manufacturer due to tax regulations, but somehow you think that this disproves my statements that BMW doesn't build its cars built by BMW in a BMW corporate factory to two different specifications... LOL.

Neither car you point to is built by BMW. Both are built by Brilliance of China.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 05-06-2016 at 02:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 07:34 PM   #80
NiNeTyOne
Touring cars rock
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So one article said BMW had no involvement with production of the car that failed the crash testing. The other article stated BMW is forced to build cars in China using a Chinese manufacturer due to tax regulations, but somehow you think that this disproves my statements that BMW doesn't build its cars built by BMW in a BMW corporate factory to two different specifications... LOL.

Neither car you point to is built by BMW. Both are built by Brilliance of China.
#facepalm

BMW does not MAKE cars in China. They are partners in a concern that manufactures on their behalf, even if BMW has a major stake in it.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 09:21 PM   #81
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
#facepalm

BMW does not MAKE cars in China. They are partners in a concern that manufactures on their behalf, even if BMW has a major stake in it.
Exactly.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 03:34 AM   #82
Peilor
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

This is quite an old thread but has been so useful to read. Thanks everyone for sharing their experience. I've just has my X5 2012 windshield cracked due to a snowstorm in Tahoe, California. Spoke to Geico and as many have already explained here, I asked not to go through Safelite. So, I'm wondering if someone knows of any reliable shop I could go to in the Bay area / San Francisco that'd be using good quality labor.

Geico quoted me $806 reimbursement for the glass and $40/h labor. Do you think that's fair?

I'm planning on getting a quote from the dealer where it was serviced just for reference.

Best
Appreciate 0