E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Cobb stage2+aggressive map..Passed emission!!!

11-30-2019, 04:24 PM   #1
ZNITE
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 335i M-Sport

Garage List
2009 E92 335i  [8.50]
Hello Fellow Cobb V3 AP owners..hope this will help with our N54 E92 dilemma,Whether will pass the state/emission inspection.Happy to confirm that without a DP fix I've passed!!
Here's my set-up:
2009 E92 N54 coupe
VRSF catless DP
VRSF Street exhaust
VRSF Street FMIC
ER Charge pipe with Tial BOV
Mishimoto OCC
Alpina flash
And the list goes on..ETC..FBO otherwise.

Did this steps:
1.did the BMW drive cycle for 3 separate days (on a toll road with blinkers on)
2.checked with my OBD II scanners...shows 2 not ready/INC
3.Checked Cobb AP for codes..only showing P2AAF?...which always pops-up?present all the time.
4.Almost gonna re-install my OEM DP,because I was running out of time for inspection/emission due.
5.decided to clear codes with COBB AP...do not reset ECU option !!!!just clear codes.
6.did the BMW drive cycle one more time.
7.drove the car to work for 3 days...normal driving...not more than 60 mph or over 3000rpm
7.following morning..drove the car around for about 20 mins normal driving to find a shop for emission test.
8.prior to the actual test..I've asked the inspector to test with his handheld OBD II scanner..if the car is ready to pass .
8.he said I'm good to go !
9.car hooked to their State OBD II machine .
10. 12 mins later he's done and got my results passed !!
Prior to this steps mentioned above..I had the car walnut blasted and scheduled oil changed 3 months before the test.
Sorry for the long story..hope it helps anyone.Only cost me my Toll
Fees..cheaper and easier than re-installing DP every year...almost went for the DP fix and O2 sensor spacer route..if it didn't work.
Good luck!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 09:02 AM   #2
relative4
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi E90 MT stage 1+

What state? What tests do they do?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 06:31 PM   #3
ZNITE
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2009 E92 335i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by relative4 View Post
What state? What tests do they do?
Texas...were allowed 1 monitor not ready,but mine showed all ready... The inspector opened the hood,opened the gas cap and did some walk around the car...no sniffer or tail pipe test though.and the car is pretty warmed up ...so not much obvious exhaust smell,compared with a cold start.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 07:04 PM   #4
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

So they do an "emmisions test"....but they don't actually test the emissions coming out of your exhaust? Seems like a waste of time.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 11:01 PM   #5
ZNITE
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2009 E92 335i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by iqraceworks View Post
So they do an "emmisions test"....but they don't actually test the emissions coming out of your exhaust? Seems like a waste of time.
I'm no expert with the New State OBD II Machine with software upgrade 2017...but I was told they only just have to hook their computer to your car OBD port.

The safety inspection checks:

Seat Belts
Horn
Turn Signals
Headlights (Low & High Beams)
Brake / Tail Lights
Brakes & Parking Brake
Tires
Power Steering
Mirrors
Windshield & Windshield Wipers
Exhaust System
Gas Caps
Fully electric vehicles, Diesel-powered vehicles, and motorcycles are not required to go through an emission test. For vehicles that are required to pass an emission inspection, there are two different tests that can be performed. An OBDII test is used for vehicles that are from 1996 and newer. It's performed by attaching an emission tester to your vehicle's computer and looks to see if your check engine light turns on and off. A TSI test is used for vehicles that are from 1995 and older. The Two Speed Idle Test attaches a probe to the exhaust pipe and determines how much CO and HC the vehicle emits.

But for the sake of discussion..I'll ask the shop if they placed a probe on my exhaust pipe...I'll update you guys !!
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 02:33 AM   #6
ZNITE
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2009 E92 335i  [8.50]
Update

Confirmed 1996 and newer cars doesn't need a probe inserted on their tail pipe,..only applicable for 1995 and older cars as stated below:

During the emissions inspection on a vehicle that is 1996 and newer:

The emissions test on newer vehicles is called an OBDII test
We do this by attaching the emissions tester to your vehicle's computer. The status (ON/OFF) of the vehicle's check engine light is the most important part of the test. If your check engine light stays on your vehicle will not pass the inspection.
During the emissions inspection on a vehicle that is 1995 and older:

The emissions test on older vehicles is called a TSI test
A TSI Inspection is a Two Speed Idle Test where a probe is attached to the exhaust pipe to determine how much HC and CO your vehicle is emitting into the air.

Now if the inspector does a visual test underneath...guaranteed I'm gonna fail when he sees I'm catless !!For now just happy to pass and don't have to uninstall my DP.
Appreciate 0