E90Post
 


MINHS Auto Care Center
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > *** Review - Quaife LSD on E92 335i ***



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-10-2007, 08:10 AM   #45
mjh93sa
Major General
mjh93sa's Avatar
England
58
Rep
5,079
Posts

 
Drives: M135i
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Gloucestershire

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Perhaps better to say that if you lock the wheels together too much then you will have trouble making the car turn as the wheels are being forced to turn at the same speed. the practical upshot of which can be chronic understeer as the front wheels cannot overcome the straight push generated by the rears.

Certainly Tony's diff seems to have a reasonable ballance from what I have seen whilst following. It still goes aroud corners very quickly indeed. Unfortunately I wasn't looking behind me when he was entertaining the locals whilst trying to keep up with me, but the reports are that it will go sideways in a nice correctable manner.
__________________

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman
Now: M135i with lots of toys
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2007, 08:43 AM   #46
E92Fan
Moderator
E92Fan's Avatar
United Kingdom
102
Rep
5,492
Posts

 
Drives: .
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: .

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy coupe View Post
Good review E92, one questions, does it make the front try to push straight on when cornering?

No not at all - I agree with you that in theory it can make a car understeer more, but in this application I have yet to discover that, and I've driven it in almost all conditions now except for a track (which will be next April).

As far as noise goes, you can't hear the diff at all which again is suprising.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2007, 08:54 AM   #47
E92Fan
Moderator
E92Fan's Avatar
United Kingdom
102
Rep
5,492
Posts

 
Drives: .
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: .

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagge View Post
How about driving in snow with the LSD? Will it get all tail happy?
Damn this sounds too good to be true
It shouldn't get tail happy if you know how to drive properly - that means, in snow, drive carefully! If you're clumsy with the gas, then sure the back will swing a little. The DSC system still works though, so it will be a bit of a help.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2007, 09:42 AM   #48
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
dxb335d's Avatar
England
381
Rep
29,288
Posts

 
Drives: E46 M3 CS
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: ''Fandango Towers''

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
In my opinion it will create more oversteer than understeer now. Only If provoked of course. Instead of just the inside wheel spinning away both will hook up now!
__________________
M3 gone .... But I now have a M3 CS
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2007, 09:46 AM   #49
E92Fan
Moderator
E92Fan's Avatar
United Kingdom
102
Rep
5,492
Posts

 
Drives: .
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: .

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
In my opinion it will create more oversteer than understeer now. Only If provoked of course. Instead of just the inside wheel spinning away both will hook up now!
Well that is true in so much that I can really control how the rear end responds - you really can adjust the cornering attitude with the throttle. It is how I imagine the car was designed in the first place, with a little extra power too, but was then down-specced to make room for the M3.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2007, 10:13 AM   #50
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
dxb335d's Avatar
England
381
Rep
29,288
Posts

 
Drives: E46 M3 CS
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: ''Fandango Towers''

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Fan View Post
Well that is true in so much that I can really control how the rear end responds - you really can adjust the cornering attitude with the throttle. It is how I imagine the car was designed in the first place, with a little extra power too, but was then down-specced to make room for the M3.
+1 i agree most definately!!


Least you can drift it like a pro now
__________________
M3 gone .... But I now have a M3 CS
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2007, 10:16 AM   #51
E92Fan
Moderator
E92Fan's Avatar
United Kingdom
102
Rep
5,492
Posts

 
Drives: .
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: .

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
+1 i agree most definately!!


Least you can drift it like a pro now

we'll see how much of a difference it makes when I go 'Ringing next year. If I can get it close to 8:35 I'll be happy
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2007, 10:17 AM   #52
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
dxb335d's Avatar
England
381
Rep
29,288
Posts

 
Drives: E46 M3 CS
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: ''Fandango Towers''

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Fan View Post
we'll see how much of a difference it makes when I go 'Ringing next year. If I can get it close to 8:30 I'll be happy
Yeah mate, let me know when ya going. I want to pack in a few trips there this year
__________________
M3 gone .... But I now have a M3 CS
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2007, 10:19 AM   #53
creepy coupe
Major General
creepy coupe's Avatar
98
Rep
8,173
Posts

 
Drives: M235i
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: UK

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
In my opinion it will create more oversteer than understeer now. Only If provoked of course. Instead of just the inside wheel spinning away both will hook up now!

How can that be, if the inside wheel is going at the same speed as the outter, physics will come into play and naturally want the mass to countinue in a straigh line, if this isn't so evedent to be a problem, it sounds as if quaife have factured in some soft loading with a passenger car in mind.

Fair play to them, as thet's exactly what you want for road use.

1200 sounds a bargin IMHO
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2007, 10:22 AM   #54
Serjames
Colonel
Serjames's Avatar
United Kingdom
37
Rep
2,426
Posts

 
Drives: E93 335i M-sport
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Surrey - UK

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Don't confuse this with a 100% locked diff. It still has at least 30% bias i think to prevent the cornering issues you're describing.

SJ
__________________
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2007, 10:44 AM   #55
creepy coupe
Major General
creepy coupe's Avatar
98
Rep
8,173
Posts

 
Drives: M235i
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: UK

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serjames View Post
Don't confuse this with a 100% locked diff. It still has at least 30% bias i think to prevent the cornering issues you're describing.

SJ

I wasn't, I was going on the title of LSD "L" denoting not totally locked
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2007, 10:46 AM   #56
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
dxb335d's Avatar
England
381
Rep
29,288
Posts

 
Drives: E46 M3 CS
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: ''Fandango Towers''

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
They will hook up together, thats why it will slide better than with the stock diff.
__________________
M3 gone .... But I now have a M3 CS
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2007, 11:56 AM   #57
Serjames
Colonel
Serjames's Avatar
United Kingdom
37
Rep
2,426
Posts

 
Drives: E93 335i M-sport
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Surrey - UK

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy coupe View Post
I wasn't, I was going on the title of LSD "L" denoting not totally locked
Sorry not aimed at you old chap, you posted before I finished typing

SJ
__________________
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2007, 12:02 PM   #58
creepy coupe
Major General
creepy coupe's Avatar
98
Rep
8,173
Posts

 
Drives: M235i
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: UK

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serjames View Post
Sorry not aimed at you old chap, you posted before I finished typing

SJ

Don't be, good thread this, interesting stuff.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2007, 01:09 PM   #59
pdjafari
Colonel
pdjafari's Avatar
43
Rep
2,402
Posts

 
Drives: Axe Murderer with headlights
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Earth

iTrader: (5)

would this mod do any benefit to a 335xi coupe?? Does the xi have anything specifically that would prevent install, or would an XI even need an LSD??? My G35 coupe had a LSD (sport package) but I never really could tell any benefits from having it vs not having it...
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2007, 01:10 PM   #60
E92Fan
Moderator
E92Fan's Avatar
United Kingdom
102
Rep
5,492
Posts

 
Drives: .
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: .

iTrader: (0)

No, the XI doesn't need an LSD. It already has differentials in the drivetrain to apportion torque accordingly
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2007, 07:37 AM   #61
morten_m
Private First Class
morten_m's Avatar
Norway
2
Rep
117
Posts

 
Drives: BMW E92 335i, E90 320si
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Norway

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via MSN to morten_m
A great write up, and you describe my own experiences with the Quaife ATB LSD right on the nose.
__________________
Morten ///M
2007 E92 335i
x 2006 E90 320si

Appreciate 0
      12-11-2007, 11:05 PM   #62
O-cha
Brigadier General
O-cha's Avatar
81
Rep
4,729
Posts

 
Drives: Mcoupe
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: In front of you

iTrader: (2)

Send a message via AIM to O-cha
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh93sa View Post
Perhaps better to say that if you lock the wheels together too much then you will have trouble making the car turn as the wheels are being forced to turn at the same speed. the practical upshot of which can be chronic understeer as the front wheels cannot overcome the straight push generated by the rears.
This is a torsen LSD it never "locks" the wheels, basically when one wheel spins faster in order to do so more torque has to be transmitted to the other wheel which must spin slower. This is a must and is how this type of differential works since it is purely a set of gears. Theres is never a lock like there is with a clutch type.

Of course it can be just as bad since its usually the inside wheel that loses traction while turning, which is also the wheel thats supposed to be turning slower, so in order for the torque to go to the outside wheel where there's traction the inside wheel has to spin faster.

Thats bad when your losing traction and trying to throttle into the corner (not to often), but it's better when leaving the corner.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 12:23 PM   #63
red-max
First Lieutenant
red-max's Avatar
England
9
Rep
360
Posts

 
Drives: 520d M-Sport Auto
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Sorry if it's a dumb question, but will the fitting of an LSD have any detrimental affect on the fuel economy (assuming car is driven the same)? I'm tempted by an LSD for those occasions when it would be really handy (pulling out of a junction in the wet), but wouldn't want to cripple the excellent fuel economy of my 335d...
__________________
2012 F10 520d M-Sport, Sport Auto, Imperial Blue, Black Dakota, Sun Prot Glass. V-spoke 281 Winter wheel package
Previous BMWs: 2009 E92 320d M-Sport, 2006 E92 335d SE, 2004 E60 530d ASE, 2000 E39 525d SE, 1997 E39 523i SE
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 12:30 PM   #64
E92Fan
Moderator
E92Fan's Avatar
United Kingdom
102
Rep
5,492
Posts

 
Drives: .
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: .

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-max View Post
Sorry if it's a dumb question, but will the fitting of an LSD have any detrimental affect on the fuel economy (assuming car is driven the same)? I'm tempted by an LSD for those occasions when it would be really handy (pulling out of a junction in the wet), but wouldn't want to cripple the excellent fuel economy of my 335d...
No, it has absolutely no effect on the fuel economy. Mine hasn't alterted one bit
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 02:51 PM   #65
mjh93sa
Major General
mjh93sa's Avatar
England
58
Rep
5,079
Posts

 
Drives: M135i
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Gloucestershire

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
This is a torsen LSD it never "locks" the wheels, basically when one wheel spins faster in order to do so more torque has to be transmitted to the other wheel which must spin slower. This is a must and is how this type of differential works since it is purely a set of gears. Theres is never a lock like there is with a clutch type.

Of course it can be just as bad since its usually the inside wheel that loses traction while turning, which is also the wheel thats supposed to be turning slower, so in order for the torque to go to the outside wheel where there's traction the inside wheel has to spin faster.

Thats bad when your losing traction and trying to throttle into the corner (not to often), but it's better when leaving the corner.
Unless you are going off road or are into drfiting instead of cornering then you're never going to want a locked diff. What I was trying to do was to take the analogy of the LSD providing understeer by talking about the most extreme case.

If you want a little light reading on diffs you might want to take a look at http://www.houseofthud.com/differentials.htm

A quick point on Torsen diffs is that becasue they are TORque SENsing, they are absolutely no use when one whell is off the ground as there is no torque reaction to bring the diff into play. Not a problem for the likes of Tony or the E92 of course.
__________________

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman
Now: M135i with lots of toys
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2007, 06:27 AM   #66
E92Fan
Moderator
E92Fan's Avatar
United Kingdom
102
Rep
5,492
Posts

 
Drives: .
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: .

iTrader: (0)

Also you must realise that the Quaife LSD only has a variable bias up to 80%. So it is never fully locked
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
335i, birds, diff, differential, e92fan, limited slip, lsd, quaife, torsen

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:21 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST