E90Post
 


Lux Angel Eyes
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Is it possible that the e90 will NEVER get a real iPod connector?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-11-2006, 10:13 AM   #23
ward
Major General
 
Drives: F
Join Date: May 2005
Location: T

Posts: 6,162
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by uofmtiger
There is no reason why they could not give us both the aux and the ipod connector. If I had a choice, I prefer the aux, but I would also use the ipod connector if it would have been an option.
of course there is a reason. An ipod connector is not free (who knows how involved apple is anyways, they have such market share they're probably not even discounting product to automakers anymore)

did we buy the cars to drive or to play with our ipods?
ward is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-11-2006, 10:24 AM   #24
D-Rock
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 325i
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: miami

Posts: 1,845
iTrader: (2)

Send a message via AIM to D-Rock
Use an aux for now its only $5 and its great
D-Rock is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-11-2006, 10:31 AM   #25
vladinecko
Brigadier General
 
vladinecko's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Bay Area, CA

Posts: 3,900
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [4.50]
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
1994 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwnewbie
I am a true techie. I mean true techie in every sense of the word. Not a dork or geek but a true techie. LOL. One problem that I did notice is when I play mp3 Cd's in my regular cd player on the navi it doesn't seem to display the track name and title via ID3 tag until it gets to the song. The list that you see is based on the filename initially and when it goes to a song and plays it then it lists the artists and track name. Now I know this should be doable talk about BMW being lazy in this department. I'm not sure if the DVD player does this with mp3s.

Next on the IPOD connector. IPOD's are hot and have been for the past two years but as with everything in technology this is a temporary factor. I actually like the fact that there is an aux port instead of an IPOD connector. #1 your not limited to the technology presented by an IPOD. #2 You have endless possiblities of connecting whatever devices you own.

One option that you can look at is the IPOD airclick which is a control that supposedly can be mounted onto the steering wheel now I haven't gotten this yet so I can't vouch for the whole mounting part of it. In my opinion what I see happening is the possbility of having an airclick with and lcd display that will display your artist names and track titles. You have that there is your full IPOD intergration in you bmw and any other car you have.
i second you on everything. to add though, as ward said, they're changing the iPods as often as Jobs changes his underwear. so maybe it's not the question of Apple not working with BMW on it, but the right opposite. i don't think BMW likes the speed in which Apple changes their technology because to come up with something standard is simply a lot more difficult for them (BMW) so they can't design a serial production process that would last them for years to come and actually make money off of it.
__________________
2011 E92 M3 - IB/Beige/Sycamore Wood/6MT/EDC/ZPP2/Nav/PDC/Heated Seats/iPod-USB/Enh. Audio
2008 E92 335i - Montego Blue/Black/Gray Poplar/6MT/ZPP/ZSP/Nav/PDC/Heated Seats/HDRadio/iPod-USB - Sold
2006 E90 330i - Mystic Blue/Black/Aluminum/6MT/ZPP/iDrive/PDC/Heated Seats/Sat. Prep - Sold
1994 E36 325i - Boston Green/Beige/Automatic/ZPP/Heated Seats/Premium Sound - Sold
vladinecko is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-11-2006, 10:35 AM   #26
u2jrmw
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: Audi A4 1.8T Quattro
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Chicago

Posts: 46
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward
of course there is a reason. An ipod connector is not free (who knows how involved apple is anyways, they have such market share they're probably not even discounting product to automakers anymore)

did we buy the cars to drive or to play with our ipods?
Well this would appear to be solved by the fact that the current BMW (non-e90) solution costs $150 plus installation. So the cost is on my shoulders which is fine.
u2jrmw is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-11-2006, 10:36 AM   #27
u2jrmw
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: Audi A4 1.8T Quattro
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Chicago

Posts: 46
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintball pete
Use an aux for now its only $5 and its great
Except you cannot control the ipod through your stereo.
u2jrmw is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-11-2006, 10:48 AM   #28
bimmer4me
Captain
 
bimmer4me's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Northern Virginia

Posts: 997
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladinecko
i second you on everything. to add though, as ward said, they're changing the iPods as often as Jobs changes his underwear. so maybe it's not the question of Apple not working with BMW on it, but the right opposite. i don't think BMW likes the speed in which Apple changes their technology because to come up with something standard is simply a lot more difficult for them (BMW) so they can't design a serial production process that would last them for years to come and actually make money off of it.
However, Apple was stated they will NOT change the dock connector anymore. So any iPod dock connector accessory, like an e90 , should be compatible for awhile.
__________________

2006 330i Monaco Blue | Grey | Walnut
...Manual | Sports | Premium | Cold | Nav | Comfort Access | PDC | Sirius | Sunshade
...M-Tec Steering Wheel | M-Tec Shifter | TLC
...Performance Center Delivery | Oct 14, 2005
bimmer4me is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-11-2006, 11:05 AM   #29
vladinecko
Brigadier General
 
vladinecko's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Bay Area, CA

Posts: 3,900
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [4.50]
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
1994 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer4me
However, Apple was stated they will NOT change the dock connector anymore. So any iPod dock connector accessory, like an e90 , should be compatible for awhile.
well, let's hope for that.
__________________
2011 E92 M3 - IB/Beige/Sycamore Wood/6MT/EDC/ZPP2/Nav/PDC/Heated Seats/iPod-USB/Enh. Audio
2008 E92 335i - Montego Blue/Black/Gray Poplar/6MT/ZPP/ZSP/Nav/PDC/Heated Seats/HDRadio/iPod-USB - Sold
2006 E90 330i - Mystic Blue/Black/Aluminum/6MT/ZPP/iDrive/PDC/Heated Seats/Sat. Prep - Sold
1994 E36 325i - Boston Green/Beige/Automatic/ZPP/Heated Seats/Premium Sound - Sold
vladinecko is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-11-2006, 11:08 AM   #30
uofmtiger
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives:
Join Date: Aug 2008

Posts: 241
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
of course there is a reason. An ipod connector is not free (who knows how involved apple is anyways, they have such market share they're probably not even discounting product to automakers anymore)
did we buy the cars to drive or to play with our ipods?
As was mentioned, they pass the cost to their customers that want it. I do not have Sirius, but they gave it as an option. I have also lived without BMW assist for many years without a problem, but I got the fin and the service as part of the price of the car.

I knew the lack of iPod control when I bought the car, but that does not mean that I cannot say that I wish they had it. I found a decent solution, but a solution integrated into the factory radio and steering wheel controls would be better. I could care less if it was iPod specific. If they offered a hard drive mp3 player of their own (like Phatbox makes for Audi) that did the same thing, I would have bought it.

Don't get me wrong, I still love the car and I knew all this going in...
uofmtiger is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-12-2006, 10:53 AM   #31
cobradac
First Lieutenant
 
cobradac's Avatar
 
Drives: '05 645Ci Coupe
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Titusville, FLA

Posts: 374
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2005 645Ci  [0.00]
Denison announced over a year ago in a formal press release at the 2005 CES that they would have a fully integrated Ipod solution for MOST equipped cars (BMW iDrive in any E60/E63/E90) by Q2/2005. Well it is now Q1/2006 and they keep saying soon, very soon. Siemens VDO (OEM Supplier to BMW) is also working on a solution and has demonstrated a version in Europe but it is still pretty flakey. I paid for the Aux input and get the audio input of course. But if a fully integrated solution comes along, I'll surely jump in.
cobradac is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-12-2006, 12:34 PM   #32
Ghunger
Major
 
Ghunger's Avatar
 
Drives: 330i
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Seattle, WA

Posts: 1,025
iTrader: (0)

I'm in the same camp with ward and others here who like the Aux port. I have a non-IPOD HD-MP3 player and love it. Personally I think IPODs are overpriced for what you get and unless you have to be trendy, there are better products out there. If they make an optional IPOD dock, more power too em. I just want them to keep the Aux port standard for everyone else.
Ghunger is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-12-2006, 12:41 PM   #33
u2jrmw
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: Audi A4 1.8T Quattro
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Chicago

Posts: 46
iTrader: (0)

Ghunger I think what you say is reasonable, it should be optional. However with iPods making up 95%+ of the market I have to believe there is a good enough need for a real integration.
u2jrmw is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2006, 05:56 AM   #34
funkahdafi
Second Lieutenant
 
funkahdafi's Avatar
 
Drives: Z4 (E89) sDrive 35is
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Europe, Germany, Mannheim

Posts: 272
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via Skype™ to funkahdafi
Rest assured: There will be a full integration coming from BMW. I have an official statement from them (Email). They are working on it as we speak. It is already working on the 5'er BMW and now they are adapting it to the E90. And I am NOT talking about that solution that's available now for E90 without Navigation.

It will be fully integrated into iDrive.

This is official information. However, it will likely take a few more months befor it is ready. So you have to wait.

Also, Denison is working on a fully iDrive integrated IceLink as well. Supposedly ready by summer.
funkahdafi is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2006, 11:54 AM   #35
u2jrmw
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: Audi A4 1.8T Quattro
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Chicago

Posts: 46
iTrader: (0)

So no solution if you don't have idrive?
u2jrmw is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2006, 02:23 AM   #36
Jibber
Private First Class
 
Jibber's Avatar
 
Drives: 325xiT
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 134
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to Jibber
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2jrmw
So no solution if you don't have idrive?

Good question.
Jibber is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2006, 04:15 AM   #37
bsjd00
Lieutenant
 
bsjd00's Avatar
 
Drives: e90
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: U.S.

Posts: 407
iTrader: (0)

Funkahdafi, could you post the e-mail you received from BMW?
bsjd00 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2006, 04:16 AM   #38
bsjd00
Lieutenant
 
bsjd00's Avatar
 
Drives: e90
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: U.S.

Posts: 407
iTrader: (0)

Also, can you confirm that it will have fully-functional track/title display for both navigation and non-navigation?
bsjd00 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2006, 01:24 PM   #39
u2jrmw
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: Audi A4 1.8T Quattro
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Chicago

Posts: 46
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkahdafi
Rest assured: There will be a full integration coming from BMW. I have an official statement from them (Email). They are working on it as we speak. It is already working on the 5'er BMW and now they are adapting it to the E90. And I am NOT talking about that solution that's available now for E90 without Navigation.
Just to clarify, there is NO BMW solution of the E90. The current iPod integration works with almost all models except E90.
u2jrmw is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2006, 11:27 PM   #40
cobradac
First Lieutenant
 
cobradac's Avatar
 
Drives: '05 645Ci Coupe
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Titusville, FLA

Posts: 374
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2005 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkahdafi
Rest assured: There will be a full integration coming from BMW. I have an official statement from them (Email). They are working on it as we speak. It is already working on the 5'er BMW and now they are adapting it to the E90. And I am NOT talking about that solution that's available now for E90 without Navigation.

It will be fully integrated into iDrive.

This is official information. However, it will likely take a few more months befor it is ready. So you have to wait.

Also, Denison is working on a fully iDrive integrated IceLink as well. Supposedly ready by summer.
There is no such item been released to the public for E60 5er with or without NAV (they all have iDrive).
cobradac is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-18-2006, 05:42 PM   #41
one3
Private
 
one3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Vancouver, Canada

Posts: 62
iTrader: (0)

Check out this new thread I started about BMW releasing an iPod adapter for the E90 / E91 (including mention of a different version of it coming mid '06):

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11241
__________________

-----------------------
2006 BMW 325i
-----------------------
one3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-18-2006, 06:05 PM   #42
bsjd00
Lieutenant
 
bsjd00's Avatar
 
Drives: e90
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: U.S.

Posts: 407
iTrader: (0)

Personally, I'd wait for a real solution from BMW or an aftermarket company - meaning display of track/title/playlist info on the navigation screen or radio display. An external screen to me is just not a clean solution.

I posted here previously that I received an e-mail from Dension/Icelink and then actually spoke to a sales rep who indicated that their product is nearing completion and should be released soon. Of course, they said this a year ago at CES apparently, but my recommendation is that members of this board call and asked to be placed on their notification list. If lots of us call and ask to be placed on the waiting list, we may be able to expedite actually getting the product released. Any good company responds to market demand, after all.

Their sales department number is 866-822-3673, x121.
bsjd00 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:40 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST