E90Post

ECS BMW

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Panasonic Viera TV problem HELP !

07-26-2014, 05:45 AM   #1
MERLIN335i
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Drives: 335i M Sport Coupe

Panasonic Viera TV problem HELP !

My 88 year old neighbour, needed a new TV, and asked me to find him one simple enough for him to use.

I have two Panasonics and have had no problems, so purchased a Panasonic Viera 42" LED TX-42A400B (non-smart, so no internet, DVD etc). The new TV works fine etc, BUT the remote does not work correctly and as described in the manual, I will try and explain.

It has the ability to to "Hide/Skip" channels so they do not appear in the EPG (program guide), he has no use for the Gay Dating Channels or CBBC etc, and at 88 he needs things to be as simple as possible, so needs to reduce the list of channels available down from 135 to 20.

I have set the TV up for him, and followed the process to hide channels, but as soon as you enter the EPG it still shows the "hidden" channels ! Go back to the "Hide" Menu, and it shows them as still hidden.

Also when you use the EPG, when you have highlighted the channel you want, you are supposed to press OK (as with my two Panasonic TV's) but pressing OK does nothing, stays on EPG, eventually found that pressing the EPG button again does select the chosen channel.

As it is brand new, called Panasonic Technical (used to be over here, now in Mumbai or similar), absolutely no use, cannot understand English, just repeat the same old phrases from their menu of 5 standard answers.

I have reset the TV to factory settings, and checked for a newer software version (has latest available already), so have run out of ideas, any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited by MERLIN335i; 07-26-2014 at 07:52 AM.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 08:02 AM   #2
John320d
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: BMW 320d E93

Do not know if this will help. Yank aerial. Go to menu and re-tune. when the tuning bar is 75% across the scale replace the aerial. Cuts out lots of unwanted channels
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 12:00 PM   #3
MERLIN335i
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Bump !
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 12:07 PM   #4
John320d
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: BMW 320d E93

Did you try what I suggested?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 04:24 PM   #5
rufnekfatboy
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 335i M Sport Conv

If you up and down the channels via remote using the channel up down buttons after you have hidden/skipped the channels you don't want I think this will work, when you call up the channel guide it will always show all channels...
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 12:41 AM   #6
MERLIN335i
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John320d View Post
Did you try what I suggested?
Yes, unfortunately it missed a couple of his favourite channels, but thanks for the suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufnekfatboy View Post
If you up and down the channels via remote using the channel up down buttons after you have hidden/skipped the channels you don't want I think this will work, when you call up the channel guide it will always show all channels...
OK, will try that, I have a similar Panasonic Veira myself, and blocked channels do not appear on my guide.
Appreciate 0