E90Post

VIBE Motorsports

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion > Who here is a Christian?

12-17-2007, 04:52 PM   #23
scottwww
Brigadier General

Drives: 07 BMW 335i Cpe, 05 Mazda RX8

Send a message via MSN to scottwww
Jesus took the wheel in my life at age 22. Before that I had very little interaction with Christians since I didn't know any personally.

There have been a number of turns along the way especially with my back-seat driving.

Sometimes I am PC about other religions, but other times I can't stop myself from saying what I am thinking.
scottwww is offline   United_States
      12-17-2007, 05:15 PM   #24
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner

Drives: E90 325i Arctic

Care to share your enlightenment story with us?
UncleWede is offline   United_States
      12-17-2007, 06:45 PM   #25
scottwww
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Care to share your enlightenment story with us?
I was deeply paranoid because of my lifestyle and addiction to a gateway drug. I didn't want to spend my life hiding from the law, and I felt I had squandered my accomplishments as a student. Cold turkey I quit both the addiction and the friends associated with it.

The next night (or one of the next nights) in the middle of the night, I was dreaming a vision of the devil's dining table. I was awakened by J. Vernon McGhee on the radio when it turned on. I don't know how that radio turned on, because I didn't have an alarm set, and I never tuned into that station. I listened to the radio show, and located a pocket sized Gideon's Bible that I had in the apartment. Before I had reached the conclusion of the Gospel According to St. Matthew, I knew what I was reading was true.

From there, it was a matter of growing in my faith.

That was in in 1984. The chronology may not be described in the order of occurrence, because my memory is not clear on that.

So that is the very brief account of my being called to Jesus.

Do you have a story to tell?
      12-17-2007, 10:07 PM   #26
scottwww
Brigadier General

Fatted Men

I found the account of my dream. I'm not sure how long after seeing this that I had written about it. It may have been the next day, or a couple months later. I could probaby find out, because the space shuttle was launched (Edit: Found it - STS-8 Challenger on Aug. 30, 1983 at 2:32:00 a.m. EDT) in the morning following seeing this vision. It was a very frightening vision. From the date on this document, Now I see that it was 1983 rather than 1984 that Jesus called me to follow him.

Fatted Men

Hell is as a small dining table where the devil's fatted men will be placed. On this table is a very small stool where each man would have himself sit. There are spires on this table where no man may climb and an edge which has a great fall. And by the table sits a large throne where gods do sit. These gods are not our God which is the only true, and wise, and loving God Almighty; they are of such evil device that man cannot conceive and they would have it that men be set to their table and be as their food.

No man is yet resigned of this fate for in a vision in a dream I saw this and no men here were yet. And the table is truely small, and in the devils dining room. Yet if no man be saved their bodies would be put onto this table.

The devil's house is small though large by men's standards but men would not be able to walk it's corridors, but men's only place there would be the dining hall, where man pitted against man would prepare a feast for the devil.

But in God's kingdom there be no bounds but only the worthy can be welcome.

Scott - November 26, 1983

offTopic - politics - ChoppedPhoto
      12-17-2007, 11:39 PM   #27
scottwww
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog 6 View Post
I used to attend church regularly (wed mid week, sun service, and bible talks)...I had to go on a temporary work assignment out of state for a year and no one contacted me about how the transition was going it was all about am I still going to tithe. I haven't been back since.
Churches can be just as impersonal as any group of people. Especially in a large congregation it is easy to be anonymous.

Did you have close friends and other relationships in the church? If not, that is the best explanation I have for you. I have often remained anonymous in churches I have attended. It's just as much my responsibility to build relationships as anyone else's. Actually more so, because a lot of people aren't looking for new relationships.

Where people anonymously attend services can perhaps be described as a consumer mentality. Go to service, sing hymns, listen to the pastor, go to lunch. The people I know from my church are those I see in small Bible study groups in a house.

It seems rather callous that you would be asked if you were going to continue to tithe, and then no further contact. To give the benefit of the doubt, I would wonder if your church was operating on a budget that took into account your tithe. In a small church that might be significant. In a large one, I don't know why they might be concerned about your tithe from a distance.

Did you have regular personal contact with one of the pastors?

In my church, one small thing I do is call those who haven't attended in a few weeks to ask if everything is alright. I don't know them personally. Our congregation has average weekly attendance of about 2,000. Sometimes I wonder why this is of help to make these calls. When someone has a need for prayer or expresses a desire to hear from leadership, then it makes sense.

I think we need less anonymity in our church, but people just tend to keep to themselves. I have been with churches that were much more personable, and I may make a switch to one like that again... soon.

If you are not with a church now, I would encourage you to visit a different Christian church every week. When you come to one that stands out as what you like, and it has sound teaching, go see them again. If there are enough churches in the area, keep visiting others until you can really say this is the one.

I think it is only too natural for people to be "out of sight, out of mind." Really, it is your responsibility as much as anyone's to keep in touch.
      12-18-2007, 12:17 AM   #28
The_Blob
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2008 E92 335i

scottwww, I used to attend a bible study youth group about over a half decade ago and it was a small group. It had about 20 members each night. We would sing hymns and study the bible and pray altogether. They changed my life for sure. What made me believe in them was the fact that they were all university educated students. They were humble people and they listened to me. What made me quit was the fact that I wasn't attending such as great school as they were and it made me feel uncomfortable in the setting. I know, going to a specific school has nothing to do with Christianity, but I felt so uncomfortable and so guilty that I didn't attend a better college that I ended up quiting. They did call me to ask if I was okay and there were people who wanted to back, but I just didn't go back. Of all the time I attended the youth group church, not once did they ask me to tithe or did they even mention it.
      12-18-2007, 11:08 AM   #29
UncleWede

I was raised Catholic, but even after my parents quit driving me to church, I went on my own. I got married the first time in the church. Then when my wife left to have another man's child, I was devastated, and the church didn't offer much, I felt, at the time. All the counseling they gave me was forgiveness. I maintained some relationship with my wife, I was the second person she called when she went into labor, and I was present at the hospital when she was born. My father-in-law just couldn't understand that I could even be in the same building as "him" It was then that I realized I had a purpose here, to show the power of love in my life, and to echo those things that were read at my wedding, that love isn't boastful, prideful, etc. I forgave my wife, and understood her decision to live with the father of her child.
Eventually, I rebelled against the church again, I was no longer fit to be a godfather because my wife had broken her vow to me. All this rebellion lead me to new ways of life, new experiences, wonderful new people that I never would have met in my previous life. And then I met another very special woman who eventually gave life to my son.
People still wonder about my thinking, but I still love my first wife, in a platonic sort of way. We stay in touch once in a while. I'm not as active with her husband any longer, since I moved on from the company that I hired him to work for me. And nobody seems to have the poker parties any longer, so I only see them when they pick up their kids from the school across the street from where I work.
God has touched me in a wonderous way. I've been put through a crucible, and survived to be more golden on theother side, despite my continuing need for improvement.
      12-18-2007, 11:34 AM   #30
FloridaBoy
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2005 Z4 3.oi

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Roman Catholic. Cross around my neck for at least 20 years to remind me that Jesus was nailed to a tree and died a horrible death so that I would have the opportunity to meet his father directly by beleiving in Jesus' power.

Beleive that God takes multiple forms to be able to reach the heart of all the world, so Muslims and Hindus and Aethists aren't wrong.
That second part of your post seems strange to me, my friend.
I'm not attacking your views, but...

the very claims of Christ (John 14:6) and the New Testament (Acts 4:12, 20:28) strongly propose that everyone cannot be right. By suggesting that doctrines which deny the deity of Christ (Islam) and doctrines that deny the very existence of God (atheism) aren't wrong----is it possible you are projecting confusion, not the Gospel?

12-18-2007, 11:53 AM   #31
its ray den
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2004 Mazda6s

if you're Christian then you must believe that there's only 1 God and only 1 way to salvation. that way is through faith in Jesus Christ.

there is no middle ground here. other wise, Jesus would not have had to die at all. we could all just be muslim or whatever. christian theology would collapse on itself..
      12-18-2007, 04:13 PM   #32
scottwww
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwid View Post
And you say a Christian president can be fair to other religions? HAHA!!
It's quite obvious that atheists would not be fair to other religions.
      12-18-2007, 04:56 PM   #33
FloridaBoy
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2005 Z4 3.oi

Quote:
And you say a Christian president can be fair to other religions? HAHA!!
You're off topic, this is not a political thread.

12-19-2007, 03:01 PM   #34
ElCapitan
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2007 E91 328xi & 2008 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by its ray den View Post
if you're Christian then you must believe that there's only 1 God and only 1 way to salvation. that way is through faith in Jesus Christ.

there is no middle ground here. other wise, Jesus would not have had to die at all. we could all just be muslim or whatever. christian theology would collapse on itself..
People like you scare me. You spread similar words than fanatical Muslim.

I am Catholic. I believe in GOD. I don't go to church. I try to live my life by very high moral principle whcich are compatible with what I see as the true meaning of religion and GOD. I despise any form of absolute when it comes to intolerance including religion intolerance.

I personally think the way people live their life and the way they interact with one another is more important than their religion.

2008 E90 335i | Silver Grey | Terra | Piano Black | ZSP | ZKO | ZAT | ZKI | ZPL | ZKL |
2007 E91 328xi | Black Sapphire | Terra | ALuminium | ZKO | ZKI | ZPL
Past Cars: 2004 ///M3, 2002 E46 330xi, 2003 GTI 1.8T, 1996 Neon
ElCapitan is offline   Canada
      12-19-2007, 03:07 PM   #35
Rips335iCoupe
Banned

Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCapitan View Post

I am Catholic. I believe in GOD. I don't go to church. I try to live my life by very high moral principle whcich are compatible with what I see as the true meaning of religion and GOD. I despise any form of absolute when it comes to intolerance including religion intolerance.

I personally think the way people live their life and the way they interact with one another is more important than their religion.

+1000

There are a couple people on here that scare me .... we know who they are!
      12-19-2007, 04:27 PM   #36
scottwww
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCapitan View Post
There are some interesting points here. I think it is true that you can come to a true knowledge of our saviour and accept the truth of his salvation even without organized religion holding your hand. It is your relationship with God that will see you through the gates of heaven. The rest is the great commission and what you do with that saving grace. You don't have to do anything with it. But then it leaves darkness around you.

The stuggle is that each religion believes it is correct and no other is correct. The atheist religion also subscribes to this absolutism. Nobody can give definitive proof of their religion/philosophy to deal a knockout punch to all others. That would be too easy if it were possible.

A person's works are a testimony to their faith. An abundance of good works helps to demonstrate the love of Christ. An atheist that performs good works is a testimony of their faith. Evil deeds are an exposure of our lost souls. Do what is right and ultimately what is good will prevail.
      12-19-2007, 04:32 PM   #37
UncleWede

I guess it's possible I project confusion, I know it happens because of my physical appearnace all the time. But once people get to know me, the confusion disappears. i.e. we got a new City Manager for the day after Christmas last year. In preparation for the new job, he had come around a few times. He saw me walking through the PD and asked the commander if I was one of their CI's, and thought it kinda funny to give me the run of the place. Turns out I have the run of the place because I'm the IT Manager

I don't necessarily think I am always spreading the Gospel, I'm spreading the message of love and forgiveness. If you like that idea and ask me about it, then I tell you about MY experience with Jesus and God. I can't quote scripture for you, I remember some general details, and some specifics. It's much more important, IMHO, to understand the message and not worry about the details that HAVE been altered by the hand of man.

Yeah, BELEIF is complex and doesn't always lend itself to words. I've read about and experienced too much in the man-made medium that is organized Catholicism to not go out and listen to the message in my heart, presumably from the presence of the Holy Spirit.
      12-19-2007, 05:06 PM   #38
scottwww
Brigadier General

Most (or all) Christian religions (and other religions?) have believers that do what is pure and righteous also for non-believers. It is good to help the needy. It is good to help the lost. It is good to help the distant. It is good to help the unknown person.

Such charity and care can exact a price that goes beyond personal sacrifice. It can cost respect in that the receiver comes to expect something for nothing. It is still best to teach a man how to fish than it is to give him a fish.

It is of dire importance that souls be won for Christ because what happens in this life is a blink in time compared to eternity. I have not done enough to reach the lost. Perhaps I will see some progress.
      12-19-2007, 05:20 PM   #39
ATG
Major

Drives: f30 328 xdrive, e90 335i gone

Garage List
UncleWede is a christian with a human face, so to speak.
ATG is offline   Cuba
      12-19-2007, 05:23 PM   #40
UncleWede

Thank you, I think </scratch head>
      12-19-2007, 05:28 PM   #41
phrozen06
NA V8

Drives: 01 330ci, 08 M3 DCT, 08 VW R32

If society says that we have to be tolerant towards other viewpoints. It amuses me that no-one tolerates Christianity. Could it be that the hatred towars me and other believers in Jesus Christ is based on the absolutes that my Saviour taught and continues to teach thru His Word? I believe so.

But the bible teaches that a servant is no greater than his master and so the persecution of the Christian Church must happen.
      12-19-2007, 05:32 PM   #42
phrozen06
NA V8

Quote:
Or, you could just be nuts?
I could be........but I doubt it.
      12-19-2007, 05:44 PM   #43
ATG
Major

Drives: f30 328 xdrive, e90 335i gone

Garage List
But you don't know phor sure, that's the phucking point.

BTW, were is out phriend HKS786? Why shall poor christianity take all oph the beating here???
ATG is offline   Cuba
      12-19-2007, 05:48 PM   #44
phrozen06
NA V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG View Post
But you don't know phor sure, that's the phucking point.

BTW, were is out phriend HKS786? Why shall poor christianity take all oph the beating here???
WoW