E90Post
 


ECS BMW
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Fbo 328 > G37?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-01-2014, 11:41 AM   #23
dtea604
Lieutenant
dtea604's Avatar
Canada
7
Rep
561
Posts

 
Drives: 06 E90 325i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Vancouver

iTrader: (0)

No chance, rolling start maybe. Coming from a guy that owns both cars. The g37 is monsterous pulling str8 for a na v6. My
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 07:31 PM   #24
zhp43867
Ohhai
zhp43867's Avatar
2
Rep
96
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M-Sport
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: West Chester, PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtea604 View Post
No chance, rolling start maybe. Coming from a guy that owns both cars. The g37 is monsterous pulling str8 for a na v6. My
English?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 04:31 PM   #25
gordon@
Second Lieutenant
Canada
2
Rep
270
Posts

 
Drives: slowslowslow
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: TO.LA.HK.

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp43867 View Post
English?
He said, the G37 has a monstrous pull on the straight for a naturally aspirated V6 engine.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2014, 09:59 PM   #26
mecbain
Second Lieutenant
25
Rep
243
Posts

 
Drives: e90 330i
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Montreal, Canada

iTrader: (0)

wasn't sure if I should post this or not, for many reasons, however please take into account the following

G37 2008+ sedan (but I would say more recent than older)
1. Might of had a passenger (didn't notice anyone in the back though)
2. It was most likely stock
3. There's a possibility the guy just punched it without going into sport mode?
3. Yes he was on it


e90 330i
1 Mods are k&n with charcoal remove + air scoops + OFT tune+ 94 octane with "NOS" I know.... octane booster
2. Adaptations were reset 2 days ago
3. Tonight, I don't know if it was a combination of the above + the cooler less humid temperature, but my car felt as never before, not a major difference, but it was running really strong

so the computer simulation went as follows: we follow each other for a while, I guess both trying to see what the other guy's intentions were, I let him go in front (always like better to chase), however contrary to what many people do, I don't wait for him to punch it, as soon as I see him making the move I punch it too, so it was really simultaneous, he didn't get the drop on me or anything.

The simulated starting speed was of 120km/h, until 160km/h, I was right behind him (was a few feet so not drafting or anything, but close enough to notice if someone was starting to pull) so I wasn't losing or gaining a single inch, that was a big surprise for me, at ~150km/h the slowmatic shifts and than I'm toast, anyway around 160km/h something that if I base my self on this thread would be impossible, I started inching closer to his bumper, what happen next? Nothing I stopped at 180km/h lol, the point was made, I was inching closer and was getting even deeper in my power band..... so he wasn't going to go anywhere anytime soon...


So do I think I'm faster than a g37 sedan.... hmm not sure to be honest, but I don't think it's impossible anymore...I mean computer simulations don't lie right?>

Last edited by mecbain; 08-24-2014 at 10:07 PM.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2014, 10:01 PM   #27
mecbain
Second Lieutenant
25
Rep
243
Posts

 
Drives: e90 330i
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Montreal, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecbain View Post
we follow each other for a while, I guess both trying to see what the other guy's intentions were, I let him go in front (always like better to chase), however contrary to what many people do, I don't wait for him to punch it, as soon as I see him making the move I punch it too, so it was really simultaneous, he didn't get the drop on me or anything.
OMG after reading my post I realized this could have been interpreted in such a different way
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 06:21 AM   #28
Emozoo
Captain
Emozoo's Avatar
21
Rep
629
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 328xi premium package
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Eastern Long Island

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2010 328 xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mecbain View Post
OMG after reading my post I realized this could have been interpreted in such a different way
like a soft core porn?
edit-i just cant fathom our cars keeping up with a G, theyre pretty quick, I hope its true though

double edit: they run like 14.1 1/4 miles.. who knows
edit I stand corrected, a 330i got 5.6 0-60 in time magazine
__________________
2010 FBO e90 328xi. Suspension: ZSP i springs, m3/z4 bump stops, 12mm front spacer, 15 mm back, Michelin Sport As3
"Just because you are a character doesn't mean that you have character." -The Wolf

Last edited by Emozoo; 08-25-2014 at 06:42 AM.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 03:34 PM   #29
mecbain
Second Lieutenant
25
Rep
243
Posts

 
Drives: e90 330i
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Montreal, Canada

iTrader: (0)

on the 1/4 mile there's not such a big difference between them and taking into account that our cars don't perform well untill 3rd gear/60mph when compared to the G37 for example (because of lack of torque and gearing), from a roll at higher speeds, as it was the case, I see no reason that stock for stock to be a very close race. Add a few bolt-ons to the 330i and again I see no reason for it to be inching away.... again not trying to prove anything, I was just so happy yesterday, as I was expecting things to go the other way around, considering what everyone was telling me (and to be honest what I also kind of thought)
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 01:02 AM   #30
dtea604
Lieutenant
dtea604's Avatar
Canada
7
Rep
561
Posts

 
Drives: 06 E90 325i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Vancouver

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon@exoticstuning View Post
He said, the G37 has a monstrous pull on the straight for a naturally aspirated V6 engine.
Thank you for explaining, did not realize how chopped up my sentence was.
__________________
---------------------------
VMR VB3 // Mtec v4 AE //Nokya 7000k // M-tec LED plate lights // OEM blacklines // 20% window tint // Cyba air scoops // K&N + charcoal filter delete // BMS Powerbox // front splitters // Hamann front lip// M-tech trunk lip // Magnaflow custom // ER SS brakelines // KW V1's // RS tecknik spacers // H&R spacers
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 01:08 AM   #31
dtea604
Lieutenant
dtea604's Avatar
Canada
7
Rep
561
Posts

 
Drives: 06 E90 325i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Vancouver

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecbain View Post
on the 1/4 mile there's not such a big difference between them and taking into account that our cars don't perform well untill 3rd gear/60mph when compared to the G37 for example (because of lack of torque and gearing), from a roll at higher speeds, as it was the case, I see no reason that stock for stock to be a very close race. Add a few bolt-ons to the 330i and again I see no reason for it to be inching away.... again not trying to prove anything, I was just so happy yesterday, as I was expecting things to go the other way around, considering what everyone was telling me (and to be honest what I also kind of thought)
If you say it it like that then. You have to take in account for the g37 with a a few bolt on's + tune would easily make some nice gains to. A cbe + cai + rhfc + tune and perhaps longtube headers would make some nice gains. Plus you have got ti try pulling aganst jne these cars all the way to about 130mph gets quite difficult to chase down.
__________________
---------------------------
VMR VB3 // Mtec v4 AE //Nokya 7000k // M-tec LED plate lights // OEM blacklines // 20% window tint // Cyba air scoops // K&N + charcoal filter delete // BMS Powerbox // front splitters // Hamann front lip// M-tech trunk lip // Magnaflow custom // ER SS brakelines // KW V1's // RS tecknik spacers // H&R spacers
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 02:01 AM   #32
Amini77
Brigadier General
Amini77's Avatar
United_States
62
Rep
4,608
Posts

 
Drives: SGM E90 330xi
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tarzana, CA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2006 330XI  [3.75]
Well 6th gear at 70mph, what is that like 2500-3000rpm? Even if your foot was way down (assuming you didn't hit kick-down) I don't think your in the optimum power band. And if his engine was really making lots of noise he probably dropped down to 3rd gear, or 4th if he had the 7-speed trans which makes a world of a difference, he would have flown by then.

I've seen stock G37's beat stock 335i (e92's and an F30 they had their JB4 off) He has the 7-speed and it isn't even the G37 S.

Other hand G35's are cake for us but you never know...A GLI whooped my ass the other day. The dude spun all of 1st and chirped into 2nd flew by me like a 335 would.
__________________

instagram: amini77
| KW V1 | LCI rear | 359m Style | Michelin PSS | AA Stage 2 | Gruppe M | Remus | Mtech Rear | M3 Front |
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 07:31 AM   #33
PureE92
Private First Class
7
Rep
140
Posts

 
Drives: E92
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

Was in a friends 328i and we raced against a 370z. Wasn't that bad.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 07:48 AM   #34
Emozoo
Captain
Emozoo's Avatar
21
Rep
629
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 328xi premium package
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Eastern Long Island

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2010 328 xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amini77 View Post
Well 6th gear at 70mph, what is that like 2500-3000rpm? Even if your foot was way down (assuming you didn't hit kick-down) I don't think your in the optimum power band. And if his engine was really making lots of noise he probably dropped down to 3rd gear, or 4th if he had the 7-speed trans which makes a world of a difference, he would have flown by then.

I've seen stock G37's beat stock 335i (e92's and an F30 they had their JB4 off) He has the 7-speed and it isn't even the G37 S.

Other hand G35's are cake for us but you never know...A GLI whooped my ass the other day. The dude spun all of 1st and chirped into 2nd flew by me like a 335 would.
those VW can be some fast cars...my shop specializes in VW and Audi... god damn some of those little buggers move!!


Quote:
Originally Posted by PureE92 View Post
Was in a friends 328i and we raced against a 370z. Wasn't that bad.
what happened
__________________
2010 FBO e90 328xi. Suspension: ZSP i springs, m3/z4 bump stops, 12mm front spacer, 15 mm back, Michelin Sport As3
"Just because you are a character doesn't mean that you have character." -The Wolf
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 07:55 AM   #35
Delta0311
Brigadier General
Delta0311's Avatar
56
Rep
3,880
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NJ

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureE92 View Post
Was in a friends 328i and we raced against a 370z. Wasn't that bad.
Which means the 370 probably wasn't racing. I had a fully tuned E90 328 (3 stage intake, tune, bmw perf. exhaust, euro intakebox, h&r suspension) and he spanked me every time. In fact I drove his 370z against my 328, with him driving the 328 and I was able to smoke my 328 without much effort. I should also mention that he is a better driver than me.

A 370z has around 320 or 330hp and does 0-60 in under 5 seconds. You would have to have a ridiculously tuned (with a lot of weight reduction) E92 328 to even hit mid 5s.

So not that bad probably means like 4 car lengths away.
__________________
Space Gray 2011 335xi E92

Last edited by Delta0311; 08-26-2014 at 08:06 AM.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 08:10 AM   #36
PureE92
Private First Class
7
Rep
140
Posts

 
Drives: E92
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emozoo View Post
those VW can be some fast cars...my shop specializes in VW and Audi... god damn some of those little buggers move!!



what happened
He peppered our angus about 2 car lengths.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 08:12 AM   #37
Delta0311
Brigadier General
Delta0311's Avatar
56
Rep
3,880
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NJ

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emozoo View Post
those VW can be some fast cars...my shop specializes in VW and Audi... god damn some of those little buggers move!!



what happened
370z pulls a few car lengths on the 328 and then hits the breaks because race is over. The 328 continues and eventually passes the 370z; chalks it up for a win.
__________________
Space Gray 2011 335xi E92
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 08:13 AM   #38
Delta0311
Brigadier General
Delta0311's Avatar
56
Rep
3,880
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NJ

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureE92 View Post
He peppered our angus about 2 car lengths.
HAHA lol

I was close.
__________________
Space Gray 2011 335xi E92
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 08:14 AM   #39
PureE92
Private First Class
7
Rep
140
Posts

 
Drives: E92
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
HAHA lol

I was close.
Yeah, it was a 6 speed because I could see him chirping between shifts lol. Guy could shift fast.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 08:25 AM   #40
Emozoo
Captain
Emozoo's Avatar
21
Rep
629
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 328xi premium package
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Eastern Long Island

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2010 328 xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
HAHA lol

I was close.
hahaha good call
__________________
2010 FBO e90 328xi. Suspension: ZSP i springs, m3/z4 bump stops, 12mm front spacer, 15 mm back, Michelin Sport As3
"Just because you are a character doesn't mean that you have character." -The Wolf
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 11:09 AM   #41
mecbain
Second Lieutenant
25
Rep
243
Posts

 
Drives: e90 330i
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Montreal, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
You would have to have a ridiculously tuned (with a lot of weight reduction) E92 328 to even hit mid 5s.
Actually the 330i e90 is quoted at 5.6 0-60mph (remember reading in the magazine article they had trouble hooking up... and they could have done better in different conditions, which I believe as I run a similar time with an automatic and 2.3 60ft.

So add intake/headers/exhaust/tune to the 330i and you're in business, meaning same range of performance as a stock 370z/g37 (all depending on transmission/#ofdoors/years/etc..), not saying it's going to be faster, but probably faster than some, slower than others.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 12:43 PM   #42
Delta0311
Brigadier General
Delta0311's Avatar
56
Rep
3,880
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NJ

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecbain View Post
Actually the 330i e90 is quoted at 5.6 0-60mph (remember reading in the magazine article they had trouble hooking up... and they could have done better in different conditions, which I believe as I run a similar time with an automatic and 2.3 60ft.

So add intake/headers/exhaust/tune to the 330i and you're in business, meaning same range of performance as a stock 370z/g37 (all depending on transmission/#ofdoors/years/etc..), not saying it's going to be faster, but probably faster than some, slower than others.
370z stock performance is up there with the 335, so the 330 won't be much of a match. The 370z has over 330hp and and around 280lbs of torque and can go 0-60 just under 5 seconds. So the 330 is not even in the same ballpark. A tuned 330 might be able to hang with a G37 but that can be debated too.
__________________
Space Gray 2011 335xi E92
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 12:55 PM   #43
TheAxiom
Colonel
United_States
79
Rep
2,080
Posts

 
Drives: E90 6Spd ZSP
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Florida

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecbain View Post
Actually the 330i e90 is quoted at 5.6 0-60mph (remember reading in the magazine article they had trouble hooking up... and they could have done better in different conditions, which I believe as I run a similar time with an automatic and 2.3 60ft.

So add intake/headers/exhaust/tune to the 330i and you're in business, meaning same range of performance as a stock 370z/g37 (all depending on transmission/#ofdoors/years/etc..), not saying it's going to be faster, but probably faster than some, slower than others.
Welllllll....you guys aren't doing the math correctly.
Full bolt ons is around 235-250whp (and I'm being generous) and weigh around 33xxlbs (without driver)

That's about a 14.xx 1/4 depending on gearing.
http://robrobinette.com/et.htm


A G37 is already a low 14/ high 13 second car depending on transmission and driver, and they have 275+whp...so yeah, it's not happening.
__________________
Style 161s 8.5 Square, Euro Intake with K&N, Cyba Scoops, 3 Stage manifold, OE tune.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 03:31 PM   #44
dtea604
Lieutenant
dtea604's Avatar
Canada
7
Rep
561
Posts

 
Drives: 06 E90 325i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Vancouver

iTrader: (0)

With the calculator provided my axiom. The g37 total weight is 3708 piunds and yes every pound does count. My weight is 200lbs you add those two up with choosing the option of flywheel horsepower. It does a quater mile in 13.9 secs
__________________
---------------------------
VMR VB3 // Mtec v4 AE //Nokya 7000k // M-tec LED plate lights // OEM blacklines // 20% window tint // Cyba air scoops // K&N + charcoal filter delete // BMS Powerbox // front splitters // Hamann front lip// M-tech trunk lip // Magnaflow custom // ER SS brakelines // KW V1's // RS tecknik spacers // H&R spacers
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:04 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST