E90Post

GT Haus

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > anyone have a good source for BMW engine facts?

12-15-2007, 09:11 PM   #1
BMS98
Private

Drives: 2006 E90 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
anyone have a good source for BMW engine facts?

I'm completely new to BMW's, always drove Mustangs. I am used to Ford's modular 4.6L engine where the block is used on several different cars, but different heads, cams, intakes, etc may differ between models. for example the new mustang uses the 4.6L block with 3-valve cams and its own intake but the F150 uses the same heads on a 5.4L block with different cams and intake. I've torn several of these engines apart, eventually fitting new '00 GT heads to a '98 Block with a '00 intake and custom cams. Was going to do a stroker kit to a 5.0L block but got tired of the mustang scene and bought my first BMW.

Basically I want to know what engines share what parts between models and years. How long has the block that is in my 2006 325i been around? Is it basically the same block used for years, with some slight design improvements? How about the heads and cams? Pistons, crank, rods? Does the 3.2L I-6 in the Z4-M use the same block with a different crank/rod/piston setup to increase the displacement from 3.0L in the 3 series to 3.2L? Do you see what I am after?

Thanks!
      12-15-2007, 09:37 PM   #2
tctic
Major

Drives: BMW E90

If you are new to BMW, then I'll try to provide some of the basics.

- All BMWs series share the same engines between the different lines. (Except for the M cars) So basically the last two digits of the model number tells you what engine is under the hood. Example: MY2007 328, 528 both share the same engine.
- The engine block in the 2006 E90 325i is a entirely new block that was first used in the 630i in 2004. This block composed of magnesium and aluminium alloy to achieve the lightest possible weight. This is industry's first in mass producing a magnesium based engine block. If you want more info on this engine, search for N52 on the forum, you'll probably find every single bit of detail about it.
- The N52 also features Valvetronic, which is a BMW pioneered technology in variable valve lift. This technology both increase power output and decrease fuel consumption.
- There is a engine called N52KP. This is what the 328i has. It is basically the same engine block but with some minor revisions to the engine. Again, more info can be found by searching for N52KP.
- All BMW engines (at least the ones produced in the last decade or so) are Double Overhead Cam engines.
- The 3.2L Inline 6 found in the M Series cars is not the same as the one in the E90s. In fact, they probably share nothing in common. The 3.2L Inline 6 found in the E46 M3 and the current Z4M is made of cast steel.

Hope this helps.
tctic is offline   Canada
      12-17-2007, 12:51 PM   #3
BMS98
Private

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
it does help. Am I correct in reading that the N52 is already being phased out? It just seems very strange (and expensive) to have different blocks, engine components, etc for each vehicle. You would think the block for a current 3.2L i6 would be the same block, just stroked with a crank and piston set. Kind of like the 2006 325i - 330i similarities where the intake, exhaust and computer are the major differences.

Again, just comparing to the Detroit car manufacturers (which I am by no means saying are superior in any way shape or form) that use a modular design that allows parts interchange to increase or decrease and engine's capabilities.

I really hoped in time I would be able to mod this engine and get a decent amount of N/A horsepower out of it (or slap a turbo kit / supercharger kit on it and be done with it). And for those who are going to tell me, "you should have just bought the 335", I bought my car used for $25k so I could spend about $15k before I'd approach the price of a used 335 and would have the enjoyment of doing this on my own and having something unique.
      12-17-2007, 12:52 PM   #4
BMS98
Private

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
thanks for taking the time to respond by the way.
      12-17-2007, 01:10 PM   #5
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i

If you want to tune your 325i, here is a good trick.

your car starts out with 215hp.

Get the 3-stage intake manifold and DISA adjusters from a 330i, and the software from a 330i and you will get up to 255 hp.

Turner motorsports (www.turnermotorsports.com) has a kit that includes the following and will pass emissions etc for your 325i:
- 3-stage intake manifold assembly from 330i
- High-flow exhaust manifold (the cats in it are high flow)
- engine software

Turner know their BMWs very well.

It costs about 3995 and puts you up to 262hp. You could probably do it for cheaper by getting stuff yourself, but maybe not and this is a complete kit that works for sure. It will really wake up your 325i.

And, yes, BMW spends a TONNE of money on developing new engines and don't tend to carry blocks or heads over a long time. However, they do tend to use each particular generation of engines across a wide stretch of models and hence disperse their R&D costs over several different models
      12-17-2007, 08:49 PM   #6
BMS98
Private

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
I am eyeing the turner motorsport kit but have not really found much feedback on it other than one article online. have done a search and haven't seen anyone on the board who has experience with it. good point about spreading the engine across their car line to offset their R&D costs.
      12-17-2007, 09:49 PM   #7
TurboFan
Ski bum

Drives: sideways

I wish you the best of luck on your adventure. I've only been here for about 4 months, and while I understand what you're asking for, I've seen almost no one here discussing this level of mods. I don't know that the CPU will adapt to this very well.

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
      12-18-2007, 09:41 AM   #8
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMS98 View Post
I am eyeing the turner motorsport kit but have not really found much feedback on it other than one article online. have done a search and haven't seen anyone on the board who has experience with it. good point about spreading the engine across their car line to offset their R&D costs.
I understand your desire for feedback prior to doing this... I am a bit in the same boat myself.

However, I do know that you can definately trust this kit from Turner. They are the real deal and definately know BMW very well... their racing knowledge is also quite good.

I think that kit would definatley be a very good first step and it will pretty much definately work without doing anything stupid like throwing a Check Engine Light or anything like that. The only downside is that you have to have some downtime on your car for a few days as you need to send your ECU to Turner for them to flash it. However, you should be able, with the right tools, to DIY the intake manifold changes and the exhaust manifold changes assuming you are mechanically inclined (which, by your original post, you sound very much so!).

If you have any questions let me know as I am pretty familiar with a lot of stuff in regards to BMW engines and if I can't tell you the exact answer, I can definatley point you in the right direction.
      12-18-2007, 10:37 AM   #9
e.n335

Drives: e93 ///M3 DCT, 07/2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiphone3 View Post
I understand your desire for feedback prior to doing this... I am a bit in the same boat myself.

However, I do know that you can definately trust this kit from Turner. They are the real deal and definately know BMW very well... their racing knowledge is also quite good.

I think that kit would definatley be a very good first step and it will pretty much definately work without doing anything stupid like throwing a Check Engine Light or anything like that. The only downside is that you have to have some downtime on your car for a few days as you need to send your ECU to Turner for them to flash it. However, you should be able, with the right tools, to DIY the intake manifold changes and the exhaust manifold changes assuming you are mechanically inclined (which, by your original post, you sound very much so!).

If you have any questions let me know as I am pretty familiar with a lot of stuff in regards to BMW engines and if I can't tell you the exact answer, I can definatley point you in the right direction.
Could you please tell us something about the material of the N54 conrods and pistons ? Are the pistons forged ?

Thank you,
Eugen
      12-18-2007, 11:11 AM   #10
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.n335 View Post
Could you please tell us something about the material of the N54 conrods and pistons ? Are the pistons forged ?

Thank you,
Eugen
That's something I can't comment on. I would imagine that the pistons would be forged due to the fact that the engine is running over 10 compression with 8.8 psi of boost out of the factory. I couldn't say for sure though...
      12-18-2007, 08:51 PM   #11
vm
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2006 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMS98 View Post
it does help. Am I correct in reading that the N52 is already being phased out? It just seems very strange (and expensive) to have different blocks, engine components, etc for each vehicle. You would think the block for a current 3.2L i6 would be the same block, just stroked with a crank and piston set. Kind of like the 2006 325i - 330i similarities where the intake, exhaust and computer are the major differences.

Again, just comparing to the Detroit car manufacturers (which I am by no means saying are superior in any way shape or form) that use a modular design that allows parts interchange to increase or decrease and engine's capabilities.
There is an excellent guide for BMW engines in Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_engines Regarding what you mention above your engine block is not being phased out but you have to know that BMW changes and modify their engines much faster than the bodies. Your particular engine is almost identical to the 328i and the 2006 330i and is probably the most advanced engine of its kind. Regarding the M cars, generally M engines are completelly different designs made to Rev much higher than their conventional series engines. The 3.2L M engine has NOTHING in common with yours but can rev higher and has a lot more power. It's also much less efficient and heavier.
      12-18-2007, 09:01 PM   #12
vm
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2006 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.n335 View Post

Thank you,
Eugen
I haven't read through it but here is a comprehensive article about the twin turbo engine http://www.worldcarfans.com/2060426....ngine-in-depth