E90Post

GetBMWParts

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Radio goes silent for 10 seconds - all on its own.

12-15-2005, 04:54 PM   #1
mds82
Major General

Drives: 2006 325xi

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to mds82 Send a message via Yahoo to mds82
Radio goes silent for 10 seconds - all on its own.

Hey everyone. Last week I had my CCC module replaced to fix my naviation system, and since then i've been having problems. My MP3's dont show the ID tags anymore, as well as CD's dont display the names. Also this morning i noticed that the radio will basically go mute for about 10 seconds then come back on, all on its own. At first i though it was the radio station, but the chances of 4 different radio stations to be doing it is a bit strange to me. Has anyone else had something similar to this? It was also about 5 deg F this morning but i honestly dont think that it should affect the electronics of the car. If it does have something to do with the cold there this car has serious issues. Could this new CCC module be bad as well? I dont know. Honestly since i've had the car with all the problems i've been having i'm starting to get a little

19" Breyton Race GTS Matt Grey, Eisenmann 4x70 Exhaust with SR Pipes. Vorsteiner Hood, Bilstein Shocks, CFEverywhere, mtec rear,
Carbon Fiber Headlights
      12-15-2005, 06:32 PM   #2
jcoo085
Lieutenant

Drives: E90 320d

Garage List
2005 320d  [0.00]
Could it be something to do with the Traffic Program (TP)??

E90 320d - Black Ext/Fluid Grey Int | Steptronic | Business Navigation | PDC | Sunroof | Alarm
Exterior Pictures | Interior Pictures | Video
      12-15-2005, 10:08 PM   #3
mds82
Major General

Garage List
what is the TP? i dont have sirius radio if that makes a difference

19" Breyton Race GTS Matt Grey, Eisenmann 4x70 Exhaust with SR Pipes. Vorsteiner Hood, Bilstein Shocks, CFEverywhere, mtec rear,
Carbon Fiber Headlights
      12-15-2005, 10:37 PM   #4
Username18
Private

Drives: E90 325i

i have the same problem, im taking it into the dealer next month. if you find out more please tell me, as i will do the same.
      12-16-2005, 07:28 AM   #5
jcoo085
Lieutenant

Drives: E90 320d

Garage List
2005 320d  [0.00]
TP (Traffic Program) is a traffic information channel on the radio that we have here in Europe. A signal is sent out by a broadcaster that over rides your current station (if it's not the same as the TP channel) for the duration of the traffic announcement.

Because you don't have this in the US, it needs to be turned off. I think I've read a few cases where it hasn't been deactivated properly and the radio is picking up an erroneous signal that's causing it to switch frequencies (to one where nothing is being broadcast). That's what is causing the 'muting'.

Then again, I could be wrong.

E90 320d - Black Ext/Fluid Grey Int | Steptronic | Business Navigation | PDC | Sunroof | Alarm
Exterior Pictures | Interior Pictures | Video
      12-17-2005, 09:35 PM   #6
Compos Mentis
Second Lieutenant

Drives: Arctic 330xi

There was a thread about a glitch, which goes away by entering a preset a certain way. I'm looking for it.
Does this only happen when listening to a preset?

edit:
http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/...p/B652605g.htm

Disable RDS before storing a preset.

Quote:

SITUATION
The customer states that after setting a radio station preset with RDS (Radio Data System) active, and then deactivating RDS, the audio mutes briefly while the customer is driving. CCC-ANT FC "DACA watchdog reset" is stored.

CAUSE
CCC Software error. The problem only occurred after the vehicles software was updated using CIP 19.1.

PROCEDURE
Do not replace any parts.

Advise the customer to deactivate RDS before the station is stored and this problem will not occur.

This problem will be corrected in a future CIP version.
18000 miles...

Last edited by Compos Mentis; 12-17-2005 at 09:50 PM.
      12-19-2005, 01:02 PM   #7
driverseven
Curve junky

Drives: 325 xi Monaco Blue

If you were listening to satellite radio, drop-outs are common and based on location.
      12-19-2005, 05:50 PM   #8
rcollini

Drives: Infiniti I30

Its not based on what station or band you are listening to. The problem is also in the 5 series. I have been in contact with BMW engineers and I know a new update for the control module will be released in march. Thats as far as i could get with the issue.
      01-02-2006, 09:33 PM   #9
mds82
Major General

Garage List
Also i have a similiar problem. i once stored a station with RDS on , and now whenever i go to that station it displays the old song title. i have gotten rid of the station many times and added it back with RDS off with little success. Any sugestions?

Carbon Fiber Headlights
      01-04-2006, 04:07 PM   #10
driverseven
Curve junky

Drives: 325 xi Monaco Blue

This is a different problem but I think I solved it.

RDS is a real pain when you're storing the station because it will display just a snippet of whatever the RDS signal is sending at that moment.

But I have been able to replace the title by storing it again. I see you have idrive so you should be able to do this. (not sure who this would be done without idrive).

It usually takes 2 or 3 tries to do it -- I selected the "store" option and held it while I watched the RDS text display change. If I press it at just the moment when the desired text appears, I am able to have that text display. (on some of the attempts, I got the wrong text.)

For example, WPLJ in NY used to display "and Todd" (which is the end of "Scott and Todd"). I had to wait for WPLJ to appear by itself and hit the button just right.

I know at one point I ended up moving it to a different location during this process and that might have been the trick that forced it to clear out the old text. So you might try that if it doesn't work for you.