E90Post

Extreme Power House

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY: BMW Short Shift Kit (SSK) for 335i

Comment

Tutorial Tools Search this Tutorial
jahwerx's Avatar DIY: BMW Short Shift Kit (SSK) for 335i
jahwerx
12-20-2007
This is a DIY in 6 parts
DIY: BMW Short Shift Kit (SSK) for 335i

BMW Part number: 25110430357
Parts Included
• Sort Shift Lever
• Nylon Shift Lever Bearing
• Circlip
• Performance Knob (Weighted, Metal/Alcantara...
By SpiralOut on 12-20-2007, 10:26 PM
Awesome DIY... thanks jahwerx!
By txusa03 on 12-21-2007, 08:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jahwerx View Post
Oh yeah, I found this as well... If you want to use a custom shift knob and don't care for the alcantara boot (i don't particularly) you can peice out the parts cheaper on your own... Now be careful, the shift lever in this picture is the OEM long one I think, so just be sure to ask your friendly neighborhood BMW parts manager...
Finally, nice write up...hahaha is that my picture of all the shift mechanism with color coded parts in the other thread?
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...8&postcount=49

I did this as well and could have used your DIY back then when trying to remove the shift lever and pivot bearing. Also, on my 05 330i, I do not have the foam pad, I only have the carpet and I did not see the need to remove the carpet.

By jahwerx on 12-21-2007, 11:42 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by txusa03 View Post
Finally, nice write up...hahaha is that my picture of all the shift mechanism with color coded parts in the other thread?
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...8&postcount=49

I did this as well and could have used your DIY back then when trying to remove the shift lever and pivot bearing. Also, on my 05 330i, I do not have the foam pad, I only have the carpet and I did not see the need to remove the carpet.

Awesome - I had forgotten where I found the picture - I had just saved it on my desktop as a reference. So now I can give you proper credit!

Correct, you don't have to remove the carpet, but it takes about 5 seconds, and one less thing to get grease on, or screw up with the tools.

Cheers!
By san~man on 12-21-2007, 12:24 PM
I just copied/pasted this onto a Word document and printed it in color at work.....woot
By hulkmax on 12-21-2007, 12:44 PM
Quote:
One day of driving so far . . . I LOVE IT! In my opinion, they should have added this as standard in the sport package. (I mean its ONLY a shorter lever and knob!)

Other people complained it was too short, that they would hit get their hands caught in the trim or something??, but I just don't see that happening.

If it did, you could simply raise it a bit by going back to the OEM knob!
Excellent writeup, good job!

In "step 26" you are showing two different angles. With the angle you chose as "correct", are the gears fully engaged in R, 1, 3, 5?

I am asking because from the looks of the pictures in "step 26" mine is in the "incorrect" angle which in turn makes sense why people are hitting their hand on the wood trim in 2, 4, 6 gears.

Take a look at my pictures post here and see the one that is in 2nd gear (third picture down): http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=107

Here is one:

By jahwerx on 12-21-2007, 01:08 PM
Member reviews
20%20%20%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
20%20%20%
Average 20%
Bingo: Your shift lever is installed backwards!!

(Unfortunately) You'll need to:
1) Get under the car and remove the circlip
2) Disconnect the shift lever from the selector lever
3) Rotate the shift lever 180 degrees
4) Reinsert it back into the selector lever
5) Reinstall circlip
6) Pull off and reinstall the shift knob in the correct position!

Except step 6, you MAY be able to do this all from the bottom of the car, or have someone on top help out. Worse case is you simply follow the directions in the DIY - THERE IS NO NEED TO remove the shift lever and bearing from the shift arm though!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkmax View Post
Excellent writeup, good job!

In "step 26" you are showing two different angles. With the angle you chose as "correct", are the gears fully engaged in R, 1, 3, 5?

I am asking because from the looks of the pictures in "step 26" mine is in the "incorrect" angle which in turn makes sense why people are hitting their hand on the wood trim in 2, 4, 6 gears.

Take a look at my pictures post here and see the one that is in 2nd gear (third picture down): http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=107

Here is one:

By hulkmax on 12-21-2007, 01:14 PM
I knew something doesn't make sense here

Thanks to you I know why
By jahwerx on 12-21-2007, 01:16 PM
Member reviews
20%20%20%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
20%20%20%
Average 20%
Your second question: Actually no, in the pictures in step 26, the shift lever is still in "flop around" mode, and not reconnected to the selector lever yet. The correct orientation is the "accute angle" should be toward the front of the car, not toward the back.

The best graphics for how the shifter should look in all the gears, is at the very end with everything installed.

Basically, in neutral, the lever should pretty much point straight up... Looks like you have a little project this weekend!

Quote:
...In "step 26" you are showing two different angles. With the angle you chose as "correct", are the gears fully engaged in R, 1, 3, 5?...
By jahwerx on 12-21-2007, 01:18 PM
Member reviews
20%20%20%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
20%20%20%
Average 20%
Quote:
I knew something doesn't make sense here

Thanks to you I know why
Glad I can help!
By hulkmax on 12-21-2007, 01:21 PM
Quote:
Looks like you have a little project this weekend!
I sure do haha

When I had that tiny knob that came with the SSK installed it was almost impossible to shift to 2, 4, 6... all I can say to myself now is DUH!!!
By cycler on 12-21-2007, 09:33 PM
Do you think the BMW short shift kit will fit my 2008 335xi coupe? Some of the guys in the parts dept are telling me no. I really dont like the long throw on my xi model. I feel like im driving a mac truck
By jahwerx on 12-22-2007, 12:01 AM
Member reviews
20%20%20%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
20%20%20%
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycler View Post
Do you think the BMW short shift kit will fit my 2008 335xi coupe? Some of the guys in the parts dept are telling me no. I really dont like the long throw on my xi model. I feel like im driving a mac truck
If the OEM shift lever part number for the xi is the same as the i, IT WILL WORK. PERIOD. The geometry does not change, it only "lowers it".

The parts people told me the exact same thing for my 335i => this kit is NOT compatible - still scratching my head - its fine!

I hope someone who has access to the BMW parts catalog or direct experience can weigh in on this!

Even if its the same part, no guarantee that the DIY will work to the letter with the xi, since I'm not familiar with the driveline...
By Supramano on 12-22-2007, 01:28 AM
This ssk works for the xi. I had it installed last week and it works great. Its dead in the center...my shop said they had no problems installing it. lata
By cycler on 12-22-2007, 03:00 AM
Hey Supramano which shop installed yours in Long Island?
By Supramano on 12-22-2007, 05:46 AM
Rudnters Racing....its in Freeport. www.RudntersRacing.com
By e90im on 12-22-2007, 11:36 AM
Excellent writeup. Thanks.
By cycler on 12-22-2007, 06:53 PM
What did it cost you to install if you dont mind me asking in freeport and did you buy the kit from Hassel?
By ages944 on 12-23-2007, 01:23 PM
Excellent writeup Jahwerx.

- only 2 cents I would add would be to remove the trim surrounding the shifter so it can't get marred if a tool slips or something.
By 335xi_fun on 12-23-2007, 04:36 PM
I put my 335xi up on a lift today just to explore what it was going to take to get to the clip on the shifter. After removing the plastic panels and bending the heat shield away I still couldn't even see the clip let alone get to it. The transfer case for the AWD is right in the way. I would be interested in knowing from someone who has actually done the shifter change on an 335xi what needs to be removed. It looks like dropping the exhaust and heat shield might work but I would like to know before I go to that trouble. Any information would be appreciated as this car really needs something done to shorten up the shift throws. Thanks.
By BoostedBMW on 12-23-2007, 05:29 PM
Member reviews
20%20%20%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
20%20%20%
Average 20%
Thanks for the excellent write-up! Since I already have a shorter shift knob/boot (oem M knob) I can just order the shorter shifter, bearing, and clip... nice! I'm going to check out how much those parts cost now...
By 335Xray on 12-23-2007, 11:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335xi_fun View Post
I put my 335xi up on a lift today just to explore what it was going to take to get to the clip on the shifter. After removing the plastic panels and bending the heat shield away I still couldn't even see the clip let alone get to it. The transfer case for the AWD is right in the way. I would be interested in knowing from someone who has actually done the shifter change on an 335xi what needs to be removed. It looks like dropping the exhaust and heat shield might work but I would like to know before I go to that trouble. Any information would be appreciated as this car really needs something done to shorten up the shift throws. Thanks.

That is exactly what TurboFan and I ran into when whe got under his e90 335xi. We could not find the clip or the bottom of the shifter. I think on the sedan, you probably have to drop the transfer case and I have NO idea how hard that would be. I wonder if the coupe xi is any different?

Supremo, can you ask your shop if they had to do anything special to get to the shifter in regard to the transfer case?

More updates from any Xi people would be great....otherwise this is a great DIY, thanks!

By BoostedBMW on 12-24-2007, 02:48 PM
Member reviews
20%20%20%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
20%20%20%
Average 20%
Can anyone confirm that the install on an E92 is the same as the E90 that this DIY was written for?

I just ordered the SSK, and would like to confirm this if I could before I get under the car.
Comment