E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Warranty question

01-05-2006, 09:32 PM   #1
qwert
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 325i - Monaco Blue, Gray int.

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Warranty question

If I change the headlights/foglights, would my warranty be nullified?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2006, 11:07 PM   #2
D-Rock
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325i

What are you changeing them for it depends ?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2006, 06:57 AM   #3
ItalyBMW325
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Ok in North America the only way they can void your warranty is if they can prove the mod you did caused the problem. We are protected. Ask any dealer specifically and they will agree. I once had a Ford delaer try to tell me that mods void my warranty on my lightning so I questioned him about it and he admitted they have to prove the mod caused the problem.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2006, 07:01 AM   #4
ItalyBMW325
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Warranty Denied?

The enclosed materials are intended to help youshould you have a vehicle warranty claim denied in circumstances in which an aftermarket product has been used. The information describes the law on vehicle warranties and will provide a sense of what is and is not an improper warranty denial. After reviewing this information, you will be aware of the steps to take to fight unlawful warranty denials.

In many cases it will not be necessary to take all the steps outlined here because disputes are often resolved at an early stage.

What Does the Warranty Actually Say?

Start by re-reading the warranty documents. Become familiar with what the documents actually say, not what you think they should say. If the language is confusing, get help in understanding what it really means. Look for specific items or circumstances that may or may not be covered. Determine if there is a process specified for resolving disputes.

The Law

Federal law sets forth requirements for warranties and contains a number of provisions to prevent vehicle manufacturers, dealers and others from unjustly denying warranty coverage. With regard to aftermarket parts, the spirit of the law is that warranty coverage cannot be denied simply because such parts are present on the vehicle, or have been used (see Attachment A).The warranty coverage can be denied only if the aftermarket part caused the malfunction or damage for which warranty coverage is sought. Disputes in this area usually boil down to arguments over facts and technical opinions, rather than arguments over interpretations of the law.

Attachment A
Federal Warranty Laws
1.The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C))

This federal law regulates warranties for the protection of consumers. The essence of the law concerning aftermarket auto parts is that a vehicle manufacturer may not condition a written or implied warranty on the consumers using parts or services which are identified by brand, trade, or corporate name (such as the vehicle maker's brand) unless the parts or service are provided free of charge. The law means that the use of an aftermarket part alone is not cause for denying the warranty. However, the law's protection does not extend to aftermarket parts in situations where such parts actually caused the damage being claimed under the warranty. Further, consumers are advised to be aware of any specific terms or conditions stated in the warranty which may result in its being voided. The law states in relevant part:

No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumers using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade or corporate name... (15 U.S.C. 2302(C)).

Know your rights! Dont let the dealer bully you!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2006, 03:22 PM   #5
qwert
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 325i - Monaco Blue, Gray int.

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Thanks for the answers
Appreciate 0