E90Post

European Auto Source

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion > How important is the 10th Amendment?

01-02-2008, 10:21 PM   #1
scottwww
Brigadier General

Drives: 07 BMW 335i Cpe, 05 Mazda RX8

Send a message via MSN to scottwww
How important is the 10th Amendment?

"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

How important is the Tenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution?

We have a presidential election coming up this year. Each candidate has an approach to how they regard the U.S. Constitution and for this thread, how they would hope to deal with the 10th Amendment.

Here is the Wikipedia article that gives a brief history of the 10th Amendment.
scottwww is offline   United_States
      01-02-2008, 10:25 PM   #2
scottwww
Brigadier General

Here is an interview with Mike Huckabee by Glenn Beck a couple months ago that touches on Mr. Huckabee's regard for the 10th Amendment.

Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
      01-02-2008, 10:59 PM   #3
FirstClass
Brigadier General

Drives: 328xi

The 10th Amendment does not exist. It hasn't for the past few hundred years, especially the past 80 or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
      01-03-2008, 08:26 AM   #4
dr335is
Brigadier General

Drives: GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwww View Post
Here is an interview with Mike Huckabee by Glenn Beck a couple months ago that touches on Mr. Huckabee's regard for the 10th Amendment.

]
WOW, every thread you promote Huckabee...
WOuld you really want your pres' last name to be Huckabee
He has a chance...to win a Republican Nomination...but not far from there...
      01-03-2008, 09:22 AM   #5
scottwww
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr325i View Post
You exaggerate.

What does your candidate have to say about the 10th Amendment?
      01-03-2008, 10:03 AM   #6
FirstClass
Brigadier General

Quote:
Are you confusing Huckabee with Clinton? Because you just described her chances exactly.

Quote:
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
      01-03-2008, 10:31 AM   #7
dr335is
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstClass View Post
Are you confusing Huckabee with Clinton? Because you just described her chances exactly.
We don't even know if she will get a Nomination...
In any case...after the degrading and embarrasing 8 years, no way we will have a Republican in the office. On the other hand -- with the independent (financed by the republicans) in the game -- everything is possible -- dirty politics...
      01-03-2008, 10:36 AM   #8
dr335is
Brigadier General

Quote:
You exaggerate.

What does your candidate have to say about the 10th Amendment?
I have no favorite yet.
On the republican side -- I like McCain, Ron Paul the rest sound just like a broken record with no clear future for the country. Huckabee has potential. Giulianni is the biggest disappointment IMO.

On the Democrat side -- I like Obama as he stood by his ideas from the beginning and is definitely improved considering lack of experience. Hilary is also OK especially if she follows her promises, but I don't trust any politician campaign. I don't like Edwards at all -- he's fake and IMO tells us what we want to hear.

So, I want to see who will be Nominated on both sides before deciding who to go for...
      01-03-2008, 10:37 AM   #9
scottwww
Brigadier General

Quote:
We don't even know if she will get a Nomination...
What is her position on the 10th Amendment?
      01-03-2008, 10:58 AM   #10
dr335is
Brigadier General

Quote:
What is her position on the 10th Amendment?
No idea...
I am more interested in her (or any candidate's) positions on Healthcase, social security and future of the country.
But again...it is just a campaign blah, blah...
      01-03-2008, 11:08 AM   #11
FirstClass
Brigadier General

Quote:
No idea...
I am more interested in her (or any candidate's) positions on Healthcase, social security and future of the country.
But again...it is just a campaign blah, blah...
Agreed. 10th Amendment hasn't mattered for a long time it isn't going to start now. What we need is a candidate against national health care and who will eliminate social security. End the war asap so we can kill inflation and then get the UN in gear and clamp the vise down on Iran. Gotta keep an eye on Russia too with czar Putin running the show after "stepping down".

Quote:
      01-03-2008, 11:25 AM   #12
dr335is
Brigadier General

Quote:
Agreed. 10th Amendment hasn't mattered for a long time it isn't going to start now. What we need is a candidate against national health care and who will eliminate social security. End the war asap so we can kill inflation and then get the UN in gear and clamp the vise down on Iran. Gotta keep an eye on Russia too with czar Putin running the show after "stepping down".
What is the "national" healthcare? If you mean Universal, or something like Canadians have -- why are you so opposed to it? Is it better to have healthcare coverage ONLY when you're healthy and able to work, and loose that privilege when you need it?
Have you ever been without the coverage or lost your job? Of course, all this applies if you are the middle class representative -- otherwise -- if your parents cover your back -- forget about it...

Also, remember -- the perception how bad, how they have long lines and wait times, how they all rush to the USA for medical help is plain wrong and can easily be proven by talking to the Canadian members (or British or French or...)
      01-03-2008, 12:17 PM   #13
scottwww
Brigadier General

Quote:
What is the "national" healthcare? If you mean Universal, or something like Canadians have -- why are you so opposed to it? Is it better to have healthcare coverage ONLY when you're healthy and able to work, and loose that privilege when you need it?
Have you ever been without the coverage or lost your job? Of course, all this applies if you are the middle class representative -- otherwise -- if your parents cover your back -- forget about it...

Also, remember -- the perception how bad, how they have long lines and wait times, how they all rush to the USA for medical help is plain wrong and can easily be proven by talking to the Canadian members (or British or French or...)
I don't have opportunity to talk with Canadians about politics very often, but about a month ago, one I was speaking with was talking about how some of their doctors leave Canada to move to the U.S. where they can make more money for their skills.

Where do you draw the line on what is covered by your plan for nationalized health insurance? Do you have the government pay all your costs? Do you have co-pays and co-insurance? Do you tell people that they are not going to get to have this operation or that medication because they smoke cigarettes or they are obese?

If I was required to pay toward your health insurance I would demand accountability from you that you are not going to be a risk. You better not eat that cheeseburger. You better not smoke. You better not drink alcohol. You better never test positive for Marijuana. You better not drive wrecklessly. We will have to control your choices better so that you don't screw it up for the rest of us. And you better not keep a baby that is diagnosed in pregnancy to have a medical condition. Abortion is so much cheaper.

Nationalized health insurance is one of the biggest power grabs possible. I can't support it.

Additionally, the 10th Amendment doesn't allow the federal government to do it. You should push it on your state level if you want it.
      01-03-2008, 12:29 PM   #14
ATG
Major

Drives: f30 328 xdrive, e90 335i gone

Garage List
Quote:
Gotta keep an eye on Russia too with czar Putin running the show after "stepping down".
Yep, America preferred an alcoholic Yeltsin who endorsed mass disorder and just kicked back while high-profile criminals ruled the country.
ATG is offline   Cuba
      01-03-2008, 02:55 PM   #15
dr335is
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG View Post
Yep, America preferred an alcoholic Yeltsin who endorsed mass disorder and just kicked back while high-profile criminals ruled the country.
+ 10000000000000000000000
He (and Gorbachev) was an American guy...
      01-03-2008, 03:04 PM   #16
dr335is
Brigadier General

Quote:
I don't have opportunity to talk with Canadians about politics very often, but about a month ago, one I was speaking with was talking about how some of their doctors leave Canada to move to the U.S. where they can make more money for their skills.

Where do you draw the line on what is covered by your plan for nationalized health insurance? Do you have the government pay all your costs? Do you have co-pays and co-insurance? Do you tell people that they are not going to get to have this operation or that medication because they smoke cigarettes or they are obese?

If I was required to pay toward your health insurance I would demand accountability from you that you are not going to be a risk. You better not eat that cheeseburger. You better not smoke. You better not drink alcohol. You better never test positive for Marijuana. You better not drive wrecklessly. We will have to control your choices better so that you don't screw it up for the rest of us. And you better not keep a baby that is diagnosed in pregnancy to have a medical condition. Abortion is so much cheaper.

Nationalized health insurance is one of the biggest power grabs possible. I can't support it.

Additionally, the 10th Amendment doesn't allow the federal government to do it. You should push it on your state level if you want it.
1) Eating burgers and drinking beer is the caltural thing here... You can't change that with or without Gov't insurance. I lived in Europe for 19 years -- had 3 burgers in 19 years...

2) I don't think Canadian healthcare system restricts them from anything -- another bad propaganda...

3) Nationalized health insurance is one of the biggest power grabs possible. I can't support it.

Again -- you're citing O'Riley and not reality -- it has nothing to do with it!
Plain -- brainwashed...

Just explain me one thing -- what is so great in our healthcare system when you can get affordable coverage ONLY if you're healthy and able to work. When you need the coverage (sick) -- you don't have it. That is shameful and insane.

People that loose jobs automaticaly loose coverage and are offered Cobra Coverage that costs $1500 monthly for the family of 4. The unemployment check is $800 before taxes for the family of 4!!!

one I was speaking with was talking about how some of their doctors leave Canada to move to the U.S. where they can make more money for their skills.

WHat does this have to do with the benefits that I and my children get???
A good buddy of mine that was a captain in the USA (local routes for the local airline) was making $70k here and moved to India 6 months ago where he's making $220k and flying less... Does that make our airlines less safe???
      01-03-2008, 03:27 PM   #17
scottwww
Brigadier General

red: quoting dr325i
blue: dr325i quoting scottwww
black: scottwww

Eating burgers and drinking beer is the caltural thing here... You can't change that with or without Gov't insurance. I lived in Europe for 19 years -- had 3 burgers in 19 years...

2) I don't think Canadian healthcare system restricts them from anything -- another bad propaganda...

I’m not talking about the Canadian system on this point. My point is that if I am paying for your health insurance, I am going to make damn sure that you are responsible. If you can’t be responsible, I want you cut off from it. It’s my money, not yours, so I get to control where it goes. It is out of charity that I (through the government) would help you with your insurance. For it to be coerced is wrong. I don’t think I could support nationalized health insurance at all. Without controlling your unhealthy lifeystyle, I certainly could not support it.

3) Nationalized health insurance is one of the biggest power grabs possible. I can't support it.

Plain -- brainwashed...

I can’t stand O’Riley. I wouldn’t cite O’Riley for anything or be brainwashed by him. Nationalized health insurance would have to be a huge power grab.

Just explain me one thing -- what is so great in our healthcare system when you can get affordable coverage ONLY if you're healthy and able to work. When you need the coverage (sick) -- you don't have it. That is shameful and insane.

People that loose jobs automaticaly loose coverage and are offered Cobra Coverage that costs $1500 monthly for the family of 4. The unemployment check is $800 before taxes for the family of 4!!!

Maybe we can work on that for portability and continuation of insurance coverage. I haven’t looked into that as a possible solution. Perhaps it is not a good idea. In any case, it is not my responsibility to pay for your insurance. I could think of some of my bills that I wouldn’t mind it if you paid them for me. I could think up a good excuse if I needed one.

one I was speaking with was talking about how some of their doctors leave Canada to move to the U.S. where they can make more money for their skills.

A good buddy of mine that was a captain in the USA (local routes for the local airline) was making $70k here and moved to India 6 months ago where he's making $220k and flying less... Does that make our airlines less safe???

That’s good for him. It would be unfortunate if a doctor I used here moved to India because he could triple his income. Leave free enterprise alone. It doesn’t need to be deformed to put government control on what they can charge for their services.
      01-03-2008, 03:39 PM   #18
dr335is
Brigadier General

Quote:
red: quoting dr325i
blue: dr325i quoting scottwww
black: scottwww

Eating burgers and drinking beer is the caltural thing here... You can't change that with or without Gov't insurance. I lived in Europe for 19 years -- had 3 burgers in 19 years...

Iím not talking about the Canadian system on this point. My point is that if I am paying for your health insurance, I am going to make damn sure that you are responsible. If you canít be responsible, I want you cut off from it. Itís my money, not yours, so I get to control where it goes. It is out of charity that I (through the government) would help you with your insurance. For it to be coerced is wrong. I donít think I could support nationalized health insurance at all. Without controlling your unhealthy lifeystyle, I certainly could not support it.

Plain -- brainwashed...

I canít stand OíRiley. I wouldnít cite OíRiley for anything or be brainwashed by him. Nationalized health insurance would have to be a huge power grab.

Maybe we can work on that for portability and continuation of insurance coverage. I havenít looked into that as a possible solution. Perhaps it is not a good idea. In any case, it is not my responsibility to pay for your insurance. I could think of some of my bills that I wouldnít mind it if you paid them for me. I could think up a good excuse if I needed one.

Thatís good for him. It would be unfortunate if a doctor I used here moved to India because he could triple his income. Leave free enterprise alone. It doesnít need to be deformed to put government control on what they can charge for their services.
I see...cooolllooorrrrssss
WIll go over this after I finish work.