E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Attention Street Racers: Don't let this be you!!!

12-29-2007, 09:10 PM   #1
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Unhappy Attention Street Racers: Don't let this be you!!!

Before I see a . I don't think there is a more appropriate forum on this board.

2 big incidents over the past day. 1 with 2 BMWs and 1 with a AMG + Mustang and both times innocent people where killed.

The AMG and Mustang drivers have been charged with 2nd degree murder in AZ..... Nice life, thank you for coming out. The other Darwin canadidate was drag racing on Sunset blvd in LA!

We are all car nuts and we all enjoy the occasional blast on empty roads.....don't ruin people's lives including your own family's for pure selfish acts!

BTW, the reporters have been reading up on the AMG driver on MBworld.....so your very public posts here will be read by people if you do get arrested.

Peace brothers....

AMG + Mustang
http://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=224269
http://www.azcentral.com/12news/news...efatal-CR.html

2 BMWs
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/sho...d.php?t=109810
http://www.yahoo.com/s/771593
      12-29-2007, 09:36 PM   #2
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

What a waste of life. That road looks like a a tight squeeze as is without racing.
      12-29-2007, 09:46 PM   #3
SpiralOut
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5Mc

Good post T Bone. Most people think they're great drivers... which they probably are, but we sometimes forget the roads are filled with all types of people.... from 16 yr olds that just got their license and really have no idea what they're doing, to the 90 yr olds that really shouldn't even be driving anymore in the first place. You gotta remember, if you want to push it, then you HAVE to hit the track.... at least there if something happens then it's your fault and it only involves you... not some innocent person that was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. My thoughts and prayers are with the families that lost loved ones.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2007, 09:52 PM   #4
remydlc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 N55 MT/blue metal/red int.

People should learn to control their emotions, to the point of avoiding situations like this one. Very sad.
      12-29-2007, 09:59 PM   #5
MOAB
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche & BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
Before I see a . I don't think there is a more appropriate forum on this board.

2 big incidents over the past day. 1 with 2 BMWs and 1 with a AMG + Mustang and both times innocent people where killed.

The AMG and Mustang drivers have been charged with 2nd degree murder in AZ..... Nice life, thank you for coming out. The other Darwin canadidate was drag racing on Sunset blvd in LA!

We are all car nuts and we all enjoy the occasional blast on empty roads.....don't ruin people's lives including your own family's for pure selfish acts!

BTW, the reporters have been reading up on the AMG driver on MBworld.....so your very public posts here will be read by people if you do get arrested.

Peace brothers....

AMG + Mustang
http://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=224269
http://www.azcentral.com/12news/news...efatal-CR.html

2 BMWs
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/sho...d.php?t=109810
http://www.yahoo.com/s/771593
Sad for the elderly victim and the families of all those involved. But nothing is going to change because of this. Things are just going to keep getting worse as cars get faster and more affordable for the lowest common denominator out there.
      12-29-2007, 10:27 PM   #6
satakal
Major
Rep
Drives: e46

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOAB View Post
Sad for the elderly victim and the families of all those involved. But nothing is going to change because of this. Things are just going to keep getting worse as cars get faster and more affordable for the lowest common denominator out there.
qft
________
Group Live

Last edited by satakal; 08-16-2011 at 05:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2007, 10:30 PM   #7
wind
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i E90

Things are just going to keep getting worse as cars get faster and more affordable for the lowest common denominator out there.[/QUOTE]

Guilty of that. But at least I did it on autobahn in Germany (155mi/hr with 540i). Thanks for the warning Tbone.
      12-29-2007, 10:34 PM   #8
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
This is a piece of very sobering news for all of us. We all talk about performance mods and how to squeeze more HP out of the N54. Modifying your car is not bad. Owning a performance car is not bad. The way you use / misuse the power in the car is what it really counts.

Coming from that forum (previous owner of an '06 E55), it's sad that one of the brothers have to go down like that. At the same time, I feel sorry for the old folk in the Camaro. He was just out to meet his grand kids. I guess he thought he could make it across the interaction or he really didn't pay any attention while taking the turn. This reminds us that no matter how short a trip we're going to make, wear the belt, and don't talk on your cell phone while driving.

At the end, the three families are the true victim of this tragedy. God bless the families.
      12-29-2007, 10:54 PM   #9
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind View Post

Guilty of that. But at least I did it on autobahn in Germany (155mi/hr with 540i). Thanks for the warning Tbone.

Not a warning from me..... Just don't want to see any of you guys in these guys situations.

The victim's family is devastated, obviously.

Look at what the MB driver has in front of him....
  • Reputation gone
  • Company gone
  • Criminal Trial that will tax the families finances and emotions
  • If convicted, he will be in jail for a long time
  • Civil case will come, this family's finances are ruined
  • And this guy will live knowing he killed someone
For what? To beat a Mustang???

I love fast cars and power as much as the next guy but a 10 second mistake has ruined 3 families.

The sad part is, it is just blind chance that it has not happened to anyone here.....
      12-29-2007, 10:57 PM   #10
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i - to new owners now.

Racing on Sunset is about as dumb as you can get.
Full of people, full of cars, full of business (in some parts) and the rest is full of very expensive houses in very curvy roads.

Great road for a nice Sunday drive, but surely not to race.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2007, 11:01 PM   #11
e92phreak
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i TiAg/E46 323i TiAg

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.50]
2000 E46 323i  [0.00]
The one about the BMWs is making the news here in SoCal. So lame to be racing on a busy street, let alone, at the intersection of an extremely busy part of town (Sunset and Highland).

My symphathy goes out to the families of the victims.
07 E92 335i | TiAg | Step | Padl | Cmft | Alum Trm | PDC | Nav | Assist | Sat | Lthr | Prem | Sprt | Rear Splr | RDSport Quads | iPod | V1 | LT Refl | VS Clear Bra | OEM Lip | KWV2 | Mtec Sides | BBS LM-R
00 E46 323i | TiAg | 5sp | Sport | Roof | RDSport Cams | RDSport tune | RDSport Shift | Volk LE37 | M3 spoiler | PSS9 | SuperSprint | Brembo
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2007, 12:33 AM   #12
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

Thumbs down

One of the BMW idiots was arrested under suspicion of murder.....and he was drunk when driving. $1M bail.

Idiot.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...la-home-center

Name of 525i driver Carlos Steven John looking for second BMW driver.

Between the MB + Mustang incident...very sad day for car nuts.

BMW + MB joined by stupidity.
      12-30-2007, 01:40 AM   #13
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [8.00]
please go to the drag strips and race tracks. please stop this bullshit of i beat him and he beat me. enough of this already.

this is beyond sad man
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2007, 01:42 AM   #14
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep

Just curious, why is it that younger people get charged with murder for doing stupid things like street racing on populated city streets (knowing their is risk of injury or death)....
but an 80 year old person with bad eyesight, slow reflexes, bad hearing, bad muscles/joints, etc etc can get behind the wheel of a car, drive down a road, plow into 20 people killing 1/2 dozen of them, and crippling others, then say, "oops my foot slipped off the brake and I accidently hit the gas" and they go home scott free (often times without even a ticket)?

The old geezers also know in their condition they pose a grave risk to others on the road when they are driving too?
They are just as many (if not MORE) of these old geezer accidents that hurt and kill people than younger people street racing that kill people, but yet, we never do anything to the old folk who drive and cause collisions and death on a daily basis due to conditions they have AND KNOW about that are not safe to operate a 4000+ lbs car

Speed kills, but so does driving 1/2 deaf and blind with 3/4 the reflex speed and strength of most adults!!
But as a society we (not me), the law, and the media accept that as ok.

Just a thought.

I hope those media and law enforcement people scanning these boards think about that in the future.
People make stupid mistakes (talking on the cell phone, putting on make up, eating a sandwich, running that red light, etc etc) that cause accidents and death on the roads EVERY DAY, but none of them get charged with 2nd degree murder for it.

Last edited by Driver72; 12-30-2007 at 01:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2007, 01:45 AM   #15
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [8.00]
good point IMO
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2007, 02:07 AM   #16
Inspired
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

^ +1..

that sucks for everyone involved. the old man is just there at the wrong time. now when i'm going to race a stupid retarded, i better think twice.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2007, 02:23 AM   #17
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Wide Body 1

Quote:
but an 80 year old person with bad eyesight, slow reflexes, bad hearing, bad muscles/joints, etc etc can get behind the wheel of a car, drive down a road, plow into 20 people killing 1/2 dozen of them, and crippling others, then say, "oops my foot slipped off the brake and I accidently hit the gas" and they go home scott free (often times without even a ticket)?
Huh? often times without a ticket? how many instances can you cite?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2007, 02:24 AM   #18
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Wide Body 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbo335 View Post
^ +1..

that sucks for everyone involved. the old man is just there at the wrong time. now when i'm going to race a stupid retarded, i better think twice.
exactly, even if the other guy brain farts and plows into a car you are both going down.

Last edited by uberschnell; 12-30-2007 at 11:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2007, 02:30 AM   #19
vase330
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 E63S; 15.5 RangeRover ATB

This sucks no matter which way you look at it.

1st thing I have to say, if you are going at the speed limit, these cars have phenomenal brakes and if someone pulls infront of you, right or wrongly, at least you have a very decent chance of stopping and not hitting anyone. We all speed, but you must watch whewre you speed. Streets, residential ones at that are about the dumbest as they come. Man I am telling you, I speed on the hiway, but nothing outrageous. On the streets, its a no-no. I have actually seen cars hurtling down residential streets at 50 mph in posted 25mph with kids playing outside, and people leisury crossing the streets because NO ONE expects cars to be flying by on these streets. 50 mph is slow, but on 25mph streets it can be downright scarely. It may not seem like that much from inside the car, but if you are on the street you will see what I mean.

I had the misfortune of getting side swiped going probably not even 40mph. Point is, I didn't get hurt, but I was thrown off the road. The guy just kept going. I was a young kid then, but there were speed bumps in the street with 25mph zone. The guy accelerated between bumps and I thinking he had stopped at the bump wrong judged I could cross the street. It happened so fast, I was lost for an explanation. Just a one step further, and I would not be here today. I always remember that. When I see kids, I slow down even if I am not or at the speed limit, because I always assume they might just decide to run across. You just never know.
      12-30-2007, 02:30 AM   #20
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magna3 View Post
Huh? often times without a ticket? how many instances can you cite?
A lot.
I've seen it on the news countless times where an accident is reported and people are hurt and/or killed and then it's reported, "the elderly driver stated they accidently hit the gas instead of the brake. Police say it appears this is just a terrible mistake, no charges will be filed against the elderly driver"
I've also seen them say things like, "well no laws were technically broken here, so the elderly drive won't be cited for doing anything wrong, it's just a terrible accident."

Old folk use that, "oops my foot slipped off the brake" or the "Oops I accidentally hit the gas instead of the brake" excuse ALL the time to get themselves out of the real reason they caused the accident (ie: couldn't see well, fell asleep, was dazed and confused, thought they saw green instead of red light, had a minor seizure, got light headed, got scared from all the other cars, was a bit dizzy from the medication they are on, etc etc etc)

BTW, I was 3 feet from being one of those casualties of elderly drivers when an old man came flying across an intersection, missing the front of my car by about 3 feet, plowing over a curb and into a restaurant's patio cafe, knocking over tables and chairs and hurting 3 people.
That was about 10 years ago on Santa Monica Blvd in Hollywood.

And again, 1/2 or more of these elderly drivers are probably on one (or a dozen) prescription medications while driving as well.
I'm sure many of them warn against "operating heavy machinery" (ie: cars) while taking them too. Of course, they are never drug tested either.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2007, 06:22 AM   #21
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver72 View Post
A lot.
I've seen it on the news countless times where an accident is reported and people are hurt and/or killed and then it's reported, "the elderly driver stated they accidently hit the gas instead of the brake. Police say it appears this is just a terrible mistake, no charges will be filed against the elderly driver"
I've also seen them say things like, "well no laws were technically broken here, so the elderly drive won't be cited for doing anything wrong, it's just a terrible accident."

Old folk use that, "oops my foot slipped off the brake" or the "Oops I accidentally hit the gas instead of the brake" excuse ALL the time to get themselves out of the real reason they caused the accident (ie: couldn't see well, fell asleep, was dazed and confused, thought they saw green instead of red light, had a minor seizure, got light headed, got scared from all the other cars, was a bit dizzy from the medication they are on, etc etc etc)

BTW, I was 3 feet from being one of those casualties of elderly drivers when an old man came flying across an intersection, missing the front of my car by about 3 feet, plowing over a curb and into a restaurant's patio cafe, knocking over tables and chairs and hurting 3 people.
That was about 10 years ago on Santa Monica Blvd in Hollywood.

And again, 1/2 or more of these elderly drivers are probably on one (or a dozen) prescription medications while driving as well.
I'm sure many of them warn against "operating heavy machinery" (ie: cars) while taking them too. Of course, they are never drug tested either.
Try driving around "God's Waiting Room". I always assume these "advanced aged" drivers can't see past their outstretched hands. I see red light runners on a daily basis, but no politician will touch this subject because they see it as career suicide. My neighbor, who is a stroke victim with paralysis down his left side drives around in his Saab all day. You should see this Saab as it looks like its been to a bumper car rally. BTW Driver72, you are now officially on the AARP hit list now.
      12-30-2007, 07:36 AM   #22
Spool
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: A few

Shit like this happens all the time...people die from car accidents all over the world...

I bet drunk drivers kill 1000X more people than street racers ever will

Not that i condone street racing, but we don't need to get all worked up about this...it's a hobby and a way of life that will always be there.

MKIV 6spd 1000hp Club

Last edited by Spool; 12-30-2007 at 08:10 AM..
Appreciate 0