E90Post

GTB Performance

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Reports of a blown motor?

Closed Thread

01-10-2008, 01:31 PM   #23
Clem
Major

Drives: 2010 E90 M3 AW/FR

Send a message via AIM to Clem
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335lvr View Post
uhhh, those numbers would ruin me. I set aside a tissue box in case my engine blows.

Forget the tissues, I'm reaching for the .357!

11.72 @ 121.04
      01-10-2008, 03:06 PM   #24
e46e92love
Brigadier General

Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Send a message via AIM to e46e92love
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railgun View Post
Well, the wording was cryptic..."he 'proceded' to tune his car..." so who knows. Perhaps he can chime in here. It will be interesting to get the facts, but regardless, if it did pop from what was said, then perhaps we'll start to see this as a more common issue. It was known from the get go that there was a problem with the 5/6 cylinders so we'll see how far that rabbit hole goes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vase330 View Post
Actually there have been two other failures here on the forum. Either E90Post or bimmerfest. Don't know if they archive old threads though. Last one I was aware off, didn't specify if it was even heat related. They gave him another car. He chose to get a different car instead of 335 if I remember correctly. He was up in Canada, his motor blew at 494 kilometers. He got flamed like hell, so he went down to the dealer, took pictures of his car sans motor, motor on the stand out of the car, and vin on the car and posted. He said he was going less that 60mph on an on ramp when suddenly it went caput! He couldn't restart it, and said oil was white and full of metal shavings. Oh, his car was completely stock, so don't know if that says anything of having a tune.
You asked so I'm here: yes, it WAS heat related, and all I will say is that there was a piggyback system on the car, which one is not important because that starts a stupid flame war that is pointless. The 5th AND 6th cylinder melted/overheated/failed and the engine had to be replaced. I'm not saying the guys warranty was voided or that he and to pay for it: maybe he did, maybe he didn't, but that information is not going to be discussed.

Maybe it was extra heat from turning the boost up as all of the piggybacks do or maybe the tune was a coincidence and the engine would have gone either way.

Additionally, this is NOT AN ISOLATED INCIDENT. This particular dealer was made aware of other such INCIDENTS at other dealers but the circumstances around those instances were not made available, so no one knows whether they were stock or not.

Do with this information as you will.

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
e46e92love is offline   United_States
      01-10-2008, 03:16 PM   #25
WilyB
Captain

Drives: E92 335

Garage List
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46e92love View Post
You asked so I'm here: yes, it WAS heat related, and all I will say is that there was a piggyback system on the car, which one is not important because that starts a stupid flame war that is pointless.
Why then did you write:

Quote:
1) He Proceded to tune his car after certain tuners came out with their products

2) He was one of the fastest e92s in the country for a while.
You may consider editing your post?
Attached Images

01-10-2008, 03:22 PM   #26
e46e92love
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilyB View Post
Why then did you write:

You may consider editing your post?
Because over there we don't get stupid flame wars that plague this site.

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
      01-10-2008, 03:31 PM   #27
Railgun
Major

Drives: FD, CBR600RR, Frmr E92 335i :(

Send a message via ICQ to Railgun Send a message via AIM to Railgun Send a message via MSN to Railgun Send a message via Yahoo to Railgun Send a message via Skype™ to Railgun
Where I appreciate the issue of not discussing which one as I agree, it really doesn't matter, but I think what IS important are the following questions...

Did the dealership know about it?
Was the warranty voided because if it?
If the above two are not known, then was it paid out of pocket? That will somewhat answer (though speculative) the previous two questions.
Railgun is offline   United Kingdom
      01-10-2008, 05:58 PM   #28
e46e92love
Brigadier General

Quote:
Where I appreciate the issue of not discussing which one as I agree, it really doesn't matter, but I think what IS important are the following questions...

Did the dealership know about it?
Was the warranty voided because if it?
If the above two are not known, then was it paid out of pocket? That will somewhat answer (though speculative) the previous two questions.
I think that if you think about it you will understand why I will not throw the dealer under the bus by answering those questions.......

01-10-2008, 07:38 PM   #29
Railgun
Major

Drives: FD, CBR600RR, Frmr E92 335i :(

Send a message via ICQ to Railgun Send a message via AIM to Railgun Send a message via MSN to Railgun Send a message via Yahoo to Railgun Send a message via Skype™ to Railgun
Did we know what dealer it was? I may have missed it...or perhaps it's just common knowledge...I may be ignorant in that respect.

My point there wasn't to throw anyone under a bus but rather to understand the situation better.

What I'm getting at is if there's any suspicion from the dealership that this was a result of any specific mods. I say this as it would benefit the general community knowing they're at risk of losing their warranty... If the dealership knew that this practice was going on, but are aware of design issues and may overlook such a failure that would be considered a symptom specific to that issue.

Unless there's a specific situation that's going on that would implicate the dealership in some way due to a fraudulent warranty claim, then I don't see any reason not to give such details.
Railgun is offline   United Kingdom
      01-10-2008, 08:44 PM   #30
BzzzBom
Major

Drives: 05 R53 MINI / 09 335i Coupe

Have there been engine failures with the other piggybacks as well?
      01-10-2008, 09:32 PM   #31
fedinand
Major

Drives: '11 X3, '11 GTI

Am I the only one who thinks info on that site as related to the Procede is going to be very biased? Any thoughts of them being anything but a pro JB forum pretty much went out the window when the emoticon of Shiv was posted.
fedinand is offline   United_States
      01-10-2008, 09:41 PM   #32
uberschnell
Brigadier General

Drives: // 135i //, X5

Again, I believe this site was started by and run by Terry. Now how many here would go ape shit if folks started citing negative JB stuff from the vishnu forums? Why is this different?
- 08 135i - Wavetrac LSD, AST 4100, Swift springs, Brembo GT brakes, M3 front sway, Meyle HD links, Dinan Camber plates, Whiteline subframe bushings, M3 rear guide and upper link, M3 front control arms, HP custom M3 front Strut brace, Megan rear control arms, F30 brake shields -
uberschnell is offline   No_Country
      01-10-2008, 09:45 PM   #33
rideelement247
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 08 335i, 67 Camaro SS

Send a message via AIM to rideelement247
Quote:
Originally Posted by fedinand View Post
Am I the only one who thinks info on that site as related to the Procede is going to be very biased? Any thoughts of them being anything but a pro JB forum pretty much went out the window when the emoticon of Shiv was posted.

Personally, I always imagined shiv as pale, fat, short, topless, wearing a red speedo with blue stockings and a red cape. His avatar is a lasting impression upon me.

On the bias note: yea, this forum comes off as such. But after reading through and through, if other tuners are talked about peacefully, then no rouble will come. But if you say company X kicks company Y's ass, then that's the beginning of problems.

To be honest, I have only heard of this one incident, and one incident of someone money shifting. Other than that, I am not sure if any are tune-specific problems.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
rideelement247 is offline   United_States
      01-10-2008, 09:45 PM   #34
E90ice
Banned

Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

01-11-2008, 01:39 AM   #35
e.n335

Drives: e93 ///M3 DCT, 07/2009

When I see how people are setting up piggybacks and how they drive their cars it's not surprising at all that some engines blew or will blow. There are some basic rules everybody should respect.

Some more experienced piggyback users have raced their cars for hours without any problems.

E.g. when I would set up my V2 to 100% across the board, use 91 octane gas and don't warm up the engine and don't care about the engine oil ( level, regular changes, temperatures ), what should I expect ? Too much people are "tuning" their cars with too less basic knowledge ...

My 2 cents.

- Eugen
      01-11-2008, 01:43 AM   #36
e46e92love
Brigadier General

Quote:
Did we know what dealer it was? I may have missed it...or perhaps it's just common knowledge...I may be ignorant in that respect.

My point there wasn't to throw anyone under a bus but rather to understand the situation better.

What I'm getting at is if there's any suspicion from the dealership that this was a result of any specific mods. I say this as it would benefit the general community knowing they're at risk of losing their warranty... If the dealership knew that this practice was going on, but are aware of design issues and may overlook such a failure that would be considered a symptom specific to that issue.

Unless there's a specific situation that's going on that would implicate the dealership in some way due to a fraudulent warranty claim, then I don't see any reason not to give such details.
Again, at some point you have to come to the conclusion on your own, I can't do it for you because of the risk to the dealer. A dealer that files a warranty claim does so with BMW assuming that there are no "facts" present that the dealer is aware of that should have led the dealer to make certain decisions.

I can't be any more clear, at some point you have got to use common sense here on why I can't discuss it.

01-11-2008, 02:13 AM   #37
Ado
King Kong

Drives: E92 M3

So is this really Maxboost's car???? The guy said that it was on the east side.... max boost is on the east side...

max u around???

Health Forums
Ado is offline   Canada
      01-11-2008, 03:07 AM   #38
getInline
Lieutenant

Drives: 2008 335 Coupe, c32 AMG

Well *if* it was Max Boost I doubt he would post anything about it here....he would be lying low for quite some time. Time will tell.
getInline is offline   Canada
      01-11-2008, 12:04 PM   #39
e46e92love
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by getInline View Post
Well *if* it was Max Boost I doubt he would post anything about it here....he would be lying low for quite some time. Time will tell.
Ya think? Guys, if you had a major warranty claim that may or may not have to do with something you had on your car that should have voided the warranty would you talk about it in public? Geez, everyone include some tuners always say the report of blown motors are BS......well guess what their not, cause what idiot would come forward to talk about it.

Everyone thinks we are some secret community that not everyone including BMW NA and every dealer doesn't know about........nothing can be further from the truth.

01-11-2008, 12:26 PM   #40
canesr1
Lieutenant

Drives: E92 Metallic Black

Guys- E46E92love is 100% correct. We both go to the same dealer and obviously were told the same story. Take it for what it's worth and read b/w the lines and you will be able to figure it out for yourself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46e92love View Post
Ya think? Guys, if you had a major warranty claim that may or may not have to do with something you had on your car that should have voided the warranty would you talk about it in public? Geez, everyone include some tuners always say the report of blown motors are BS......well guess what their not, cause what idiot would come forward to talk about it.

Everyone thinks we are some secret community that not everyone including BMW NA and every dealer doesn't know about........nothing can be further from the truth.
canesr1 is offline   United_States
      01-11-2008, 12:45 PM   #41
BMW_TT
Colonel

Drives: E92 335i

Send a message via AIM to BMW_TT Send a message via MSN to BMW_TT Send a message via Yahoo to BMW_TT
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod182 View Post
I realize sometimes you have to pay to play, so today I checked into how much a factory exchange engine is, (just in case I blow mine up). I already set aside $20K, just in case. Turns out the engine runs about $11,000, and about $3500 in labor. Not as bad as I thought it would be. I hear some of those AMG engines are like $50,000 !!!

i'll like to have your job if you can afford to save an extra 20k for a motor blowing up.
      01-11-2008, 12:47 PM   #42
Eazyrock
Major

Drives: 08' Helix 335i E93

Send a message via AIM to Eazyrock
Imagine what kind of boost and pressure you had to have been putting on the motor to "blow" it up...
      01-11-2008, 12:51 PM   #43
shiv@vishnu
Tuner

Drives: X1, 335i

One of my customers plays poker with someone who works at a BMW tuning house. This person insisted that the motor in my own car has blown up 3 times. It wasn't a sales pitch. This employee actually believed it. Makes you wonder how rumors get started. And just how much info is left out or, in that case, is just plain wrong to begin with.

Shiv
shiv@vishnu is offline   United_States
      01-11-2008, 01:23 PM   #44
e.n335

Drives: e93 ///M3 DCT, 07/2009

Hi,

I use the PROcede since 10000 miles. IMO a PROcede tuned engine can run as long as an untuned engine, when you take it serious.

This means not going to the maximum at all and still having plenty of power. Supporting the tuning with appropriate hardware. Providing data logging capabilities. The PROcede V2 is the only engine tuning which offers this to me. So I can find a good balance between reliability, power and costs.

Eugen
Closed Thread