E90Post

Lux Angel Eyes

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Reports of a blown motor?

Closed Thread

01-11-2008, 01:28 PM   #45
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Send a message via AIM to e46e92love
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazyrock View Post
Imagine what kind of boost and pressure you had to have been putting on the motor to "blow" it up...
Stop right there. It might not take much, maybe even stock setup is enough. This car has issues with heating, we all know that, add in the fact that there are multiple reports of having 5th cylinder and 6th cylinder overheat issues and you realize the engine doesn't actually BLOW UP. It just fails, but once 2 of the 6 cylinders are just completely F*CKED, the only option is to replace the engine.

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.

Last edited by e46e92love; 01-11-2008 at 01:52 PM.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 01:36 PM   #46
e.n335
Austria
Rep

Drives: e93 ///M3 DCT, 07/2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46e92love View Post
Stop right there. Take not much, maybe even stock setup is enough. This car has issues with heating, we all know that, add in the fact that there are multiple reports of having 5th cylinder and 6th cylinder overheat issues and you realize the engine doesn't actually BLOW UP. It just fails, but once 2 of the 6 cylinders are just completely F*CKED, the only option is to replace the engine.
I have read about a lot of overheating issues, mainly on 6AT's. However, nothing specific about 5th and 6th cylinder. Do you have more informations about the issue ? I know, it exists, I know it can be solved ( according to a telephone call with Mr. Noelle ) but I don't know what it is !

- Eugen
      01-11-2008, 01:50 PM   #47
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
One of my customers plays poker with someone who works at a BMW tuning house. This person insisted that the motor in my own car has blown up 3 times. It wasn't a sales pitch. This employee actually believed it. Makes you wonder how rumors get started. And just how much info is left out or, in that case, is just plain wrong to begin with.

Shiv
Keep going with your misleading statements. For one second don't think about yourself and your stupid business. Just realize this is a forum, intended to help community members learn, not just serve as a cheap marketing tool to make you richer. I SAID A DONZEN TIMES THIS MAY HAPPEN TO STOCK ENGINES. No one is blaming your mods.

You don't care about a single guy on this forum: you just want to make money, and buy more Lambos, which is fine by me as long as it doesn't lead to you trying to mislead forum members. Why not instead of trying to put doubt into people's head, why not STFU, and allow the information get out to people, so they can make their OWN decisions on the risk.

If I hear one more time your crap about "hey, if there is a blown engine let that person come forward crap" I'm gonna lose it. You and Calvin need to hold your tongues and use just A LITTLE COMMON SENSE. Do you really think someone trying to get their engine fixed under warranty is gonna come onto a public forum and blab their mouth?!?!

Shiv, you continue to use business practices that a 15 year old would find shady and offensive.

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 01:52 PM   #48
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.n335 View Post
Hi,

I use the PROcede since 10000 miles. IMO a PROcede tuned engine can run as long as an untuned engine, when you take it serious.

This means not going to the maximum at all and still having plenty of power. Supporting the tuning with appropriate hardware. Providing data logging capabilities. The PROcede V2 is the only engine tuning which offers this to me. So I can find a good balance between reliability, power and costs.

Eugen
No offense Eugene, because I have more respect for you then anyone on here, but this is not about Procede, JB or Dinan, its about an issue with an engine that MAY OR MAY NOT have anything to do with the tunes. This might very well happen to COMPLETELY STOCK ENGINES.

Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 01:54 PM   #49
Eazyrock
Major
Guyana
Rep

Drives: 08' Helix 335i E93

Send a message via AIM to Eazyrock
Quote:
Stop right there. Take not much, maybe even stock setup is enough. This car has issues with heating, we all know that, add in the fact that there are multiple reports of having 5th cylinder and 6th cylinder overheat issues and you realize the engine doesn't actually BLOW UP. It just fails, but once 2 of the 6 cylinders are just completely F*CKED, the only option is to replace the engine.
If this can happen with a stock set up then the problem isn't directly related to a specific tune correct? Grant it if your trying to turn your car into a rocket ship then you greatly increase the risk of harming it. I don't abuse my car. I'm sorry I'm having a hard time understanding what the point of this thread is, which I apologize for. You can "blow up" or harm your engine if you over harass the motor.. Okay, we all know this.. so whats the issue if there is one or is just a warning to keep an eye on how you tune/run your car?
      01-11-2008, 01:56 PM   #50
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have read about a lot of overheating issues, mainly on 6AT's. However, nothing specific about 5th and 6th cylinder. Do you have more informations about the issue ? I know, it exists, I know it can be solved ( according to a telephone call with Mr. Noelle ) but I don't know what it is !

- Eugen
If I claimed to know every detail I would be ignorant and lieing. The dealers don't even know, not even the techs, why there maybe issues with two cylinders and not the rest. Perhaps is has to do with how the coolant is get circulated around the rear of the block, or perhaps how close the actual turbo (which gives off heat itself) is to the rear, or maybe the fact that the last two cylinders are far enough back from the front of the engine (where the air is first entering the engine bay from outside/the auxiliary fan) that it gets less airflow and heats up. WHO KNOWS. All I can say with certainty is its a problem.......but how many engines are effected by this? WHO KNOWS. Was this a design flaw or a manufacturing flaw only to show in 2% of product.......WHO KNOWS.

Do tunes make this happen? WHO KNOWS. Do tunes perhaps speed up the process so engines that have this issue fail at under 20k miles when if left stock they would fail at 70k? WHO KNOWS.

Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 01:59 PM   #51
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazyrock View Post
If this can happen with a stock set up then the problem isn't directly related to a specific tune correct? Grant it if your trying to turn your car into a rocket ship then you greatly increase the risk of harming it. I don't abuse my car. I'm sorry I'm having a hard time understanding what the point of this thread is, which I apologize for. You can "blow up" or harm your engine if you over harass the motor.. Okay, we all know this.. so whats the issue if there is one or is just a warning to keep an eye on how you tune/run your car?
I think the issue is that the SPECIFIC car I know that blew had a tune. The dealer knows that other engines have suffered the same issue, however, they don't know the facts or circumstances surrounding those other failures, so there is not enough information to know whether these failures are occurring on tuned and stock cars or just stock.

Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 02:04 PM   #52
Eazyrock
Major
Guyana
Rep

Drives: 08' Helix 335i E93

Send a message via AIM to Eazyrock
Quote:
I think the issue is that the SPECIFIC car I know that blew had a tune. The dealer knows that other engines have suffered the same issue, however, they don't know the facts or circumstances surrounding those other failures, so there is not enough information to know whether these failures are occurring on tuned and stock cars or just stock.
Do you know the details of the specific car? Specs? Two cars can have tunes... one at 13lbs boost and the other at 17lbs.. Both are considered tuned cars, but with major differences.
      01-11-2008, 02:05 PM   #53
e.n335
Austria
Rep

Drives: e93 ///M3 DCT, 07/2009

Quote:
No offense Eugene ...
No offense taken . How can Noelle say they will resolve the issue and Dinan changes the sensivity of the water pump when nobody knows about ?
      01-11-2008, 02:06 PM   #54
Kerosene Hat
Regional Governor
Rep

Drives: '10 E92 335i

First or second year of production on an engine is bound to have some issues - that a tune may exaggerate...but the first several cuts at making a new engine will have some defects. So, too will the NA engines that BMW has made for a long time - look at the volume of cars they produce. Hell, sometimes motors get past QA, sometimes they blow. In a couple years as aggregate total engine-miles for the N54 increase AND as we see the results of tuning products on engines over time, we'll learn more. It'll be fun to watch as long as it doesn't happen to you (or me).

Eventually, this engine will be at the point where true horsepower freaks will TRY to bust the engine...for some [warped] people, this is like a badge of honor, but an expensive one.
      01-11-2008, 02:09 PM   #55
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No offense taken . How can Noelle say they will resolve the issue and Dinan changes the sensivity of the water pump when nobody knows about ?
Well, I'm sure that SOMEONE knows, just not the lowly dealers (who many times are the last to know). I'm sure BMW in Munich is aware and looking into it. But when Dinan took the route of changing the flow rate of the water pump, NOT JUST THE OIL COOLER IMPROVEMENT, it made me think that maybe this was a real issue. Then I talked with the dealer and got the story on the engine blown so I knew it was more than rumor and I said: f*ck, this may not be good.

Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 02:10 PM   #56
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerosene Hat View Post
First or second year of production on an engine is bound to have some issues - that a tune may exaggerate...but the first several cuts at making a new engine will have some defects. So, too will the NA engines that BMW has made for a long time - look at the volume of cars they produce. Hell, sometimes motors get past QA, sometimes they blow. In a couple years as aggregate total engine-miles for the N54 increase AND as we see the results of tuning products on engines over time, we'll learn more. It'll be fun to watch as long as it doesn't happen to you (or me).

Eventually, this engine will be at the point where true horsepower freaks will TRY to bust the engine...for some [warped] people, this is like a badge of honor, but an expensive one.
+1

Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 02:27 PM   #57
Ado
King Kong
Canada
Rep

Drives: E92 M3

e46e92love has basically stated that the car is MaxBoost's car and that he's using a PROCede. Knowing all this info do we know which version MaxBoost was on? Was he on 100%?

Having said that e46e92love.... why are you so angry with Shiv? To be honest all we are doing here is speculating until someone comes forward (MaxBoost) as says what happened.

You seem to be trying to hide who this person is but even a brain dead monkey could figure out that you're talking about Maxboost and ("PROCede") in general.

Come out of your box and give us the info. Until them this is speculation. (Even what I'm saying now is speculating).

Thanks.

Ado

Health Forums
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 02:38 PM   #58
Garrett
Banned
Rep

Drives: 2004 330ci

Quote:
Keep going with your misleading statements. For one second don't think about yourself and your stupid business. Just realize this is a forum, intended to help community members learn, not just serve as a cheap marketing tool to make you richer. I SAID A DONZEN TIMES THIS MAY HAPPEN TO STOCK ENGINES. No one is blaming your mods.

You don't care about a single guy on this forum: you just want to make money, and buy more Lambos, which is fine by me as long as it doesn't lead to you trying to mislead forum members. Why not instead of trying to put doubt into people's head, why not STFU, and allow the information get out to people, so they can make their OWN decisions on the risk.

If I hear one more time your crap about "hey, if there is a blown engine let that person come forward crap" I'm gonna lose it. You and Calvin need to hold your tongues and use just A LITTLE COMMON SENSE. Do you really think someone trying to get their engine fixed under warranty is gonna come onto a public forum and blab their mouth?!?!

Shiv, you continue to use business practices that a 15 year old would find shady and offensive.

Dude, your cannot come to these forums and post such vague posts about how an engine has blown up.... provide no proof and then suggest/hint it had PROcede.

Then in the next sentence, benevolantly say "It's not a boost problem, but an overheating issue.. the engine could've been stock"
..? WTF is that!

You blatenly accuse a PROcede'd car for blowing up and engine, then you backpedal and say it could also happen to a stock car. Your post serves no purpose, provided no knowledge and is accusorary in nature.

So what attack shiv for defending his product and asking for proof..?

Secondly, Youn stated the dealer knew about the tune, but you won't tell us if it's being covered by BMW or the owner.. then you come back here and then say why would he post on these forums and admit to using a piggyback, because the dealer might find out. This is all retarded!

-Garrett
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 02:45 PM   #59
Tuned335i
Major
Rep

Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railgun View Post
What I'm getting at is if there's any suspicion from the dealership that this was a result of any specific mods. I say this as it would benefit the general community knowing they're at risk of losing their warranty... If the dealership knew that this practice was going on, but are aware of design issues and may overlook such a failure that would be considered a symptom specific to that issue.

Unless there's a specific situation that's going on that would implicate the dealership in some way due to a fraudulent warranty claim, then I don't see any reason not to give such details.
+1

When the actual person who owns a car that had an engine failure posts a first-hand account, I will believe it. Posting unsubstantiated rumors is about as irresponsible as it gets.

The primary individual replying in this thread and posting on Terry's forum in the engine failure thread is obviously anti-vishnu and drops subtle and not-so-subtle hints that it was a car equipped with their piggyback. Considering the frustration level of the Disciples-of-Terry on this forum, well, I wouldn't be surprised if this was all fiction.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 02:49 PM   #60
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ado View Post
e46e92love has basically stated that the car is MaxBoost's car and that he's using a PROCede. Knowing all this info do we know which version MaxBoost was on? Was he on 100%?

Having said that e46e92love.... why are you so angry with Shiv? To be honest all we are doing here is speculating until someone comes forward (MaxBoost) as says what happened.

You seem to be trying to hide who this person is but even a brain dead monkey could figure out that you're talking about Maxboost and ("PROCede") in general.

Come out of your box and give us the info. Until them this is speculation. (Even what I'm saying now is speculating).

Thanks.

Ado
I basically stated nothing about anyone's names. Not to offend you but I would appreciate you not twist my words and make statement like "he said this" when I didn't. Thanks.

Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 02:52 PM   #61
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
Dude, your cannot come to these forums and post such vague posts about how an engine has blown up.... provide no proof and then suggest/hint it had PROcede.

Then in the next sentence, benevolantly say "It's not a boost problem, but an overheating issue.. the engine could've been stock"
..? WTF is that!

You blatenly accuse a PROcede'd car for blowing up and engine, then you backpedal and say it could also happen to a stock car. Your post serves no purpose, provided no knowledge and is accusorary in nature.

So what attack shiv for defending his product and asking for proof..?

Secondly, Youn stated the dealer knew about the tune, but you won't tell us if it's being covered by BMW or the owner.. then you come back here and then say why would he post on these forums and admit to using a piggyback, because the dealer might find out. This is all retarded!

-Garrett
Fine, you're right, its retarded.....then don't post here and leave. I could give TWO SH**S if you or anyone else ignores me, I never even started this thread, it was started because someone saw me post about the it on another forum where the guys were talking about the 5th and 6th cylinder overheat. So I saw them talking about something I had knowledge in so I spoke up. I did not start that thread nor did I start this one.

Mods, please close this thread (sorry OP)

Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 02:57 PM   #62
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuned335i View Post
+1

When the actual person who owns a car that had an engine failure posts a first-hand account, I will believe it. Posting unsubstantiated rumors is about as irresponsible as it gets.

The primary individual replying in this thread and posting on Terry's forum in the engine failure thread is obviously anti-vishnu and drops subtle and not-so-subtle hints that it was a car equipped with their piggyback. Considering the frustration level of the Disciples-of-Terry on this forum, well, I wouldn't be surprised if this was all fiction.
WOW, if I have to explain why someone would not come on here and talk about their blown engine that might fall under warranty.....YOU ARE ST**ID.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 03:21 PM   #63
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep

Drives: F80 YMB

In my experience there are some things that smart people don't talk about, like other guy's wives and other guy's engines. E46E92love, you will learn not to start people talking. You may have temporarily gained a bit of status on N54, but in the long run, well, time will tell.

Unfortunately in today's business climate anecdotes like this get manipulated by the competition. Walk into a Lexus dealer and the CAs will regale you with horror stories of blown engines and drivers stranded in the inner city at night by failed fuel pumps. Most of it is crap bantyed around by punks looking to get a little social boost by dissing something.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 03:26 PM   #64
Park2670
General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2014 CX-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
Unfortunately in today's business climate anecdotes like this get manipulated by the competition. Walk into a Lexus dealer and the CAs will regale you with horror stories of blown engines and drivers stranded in the inner city at night by failed fuel pumps. Most of it is crap bantyed around by punks looking to get a little social boost by dissing something.
+1. There will always be someone dissing on another. Just dont be one of them!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 03:51 PM   #65
Tuned335i
Major
Rep

Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
WOW, if I have to explain why someone would not come on here and talk about their blown engine that might fall under warranty.....YOU ARE ST**ID.
You're way off base buddy and you've lost all your credibility by insulting the forum.

Jason : it's time to close this thread & BAN member e46e92love.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 05:02 PM   #66
fedinand
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: '11 X3, '11 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
In my experience there are some things that smart people don't talk about, like other guy's wives and other guy's engines. E46E92love, you will learn not to start people talking. You may have temporarily gained a bit of status on N54, but in the long run, well, time will tell.

+1 the poster's intentions are pretty apparent..and then he goes off on Shiv on that obviously biased rant. I'm sure he will run back to the "other" forum and complain bad we suck because we don't take his vague hearsay as gospel. (I need to thank lawdude for the ignore list suggestion)
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread