E90Post

GetBMWParts

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > I-Drive Turbo Gauges

01-10-2008, 12:51 PM   #1
AWD Addict
Chief Executive

Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
I-Drive Turbo Gauges

The more I think about it, what I really want is for my gauges to be shown up on my nav/I-Drive screen.

Has anyone heard anything about a product like this? I def want boost, but EGT would be awesome as well.
      01-10-2008, 01:22 PM   #2
jpsimon
Team Zissou

Drives: 2015 STi

Yeah I would love that as well...

jpsimon is offline   United_States
      01-10-2008, 08:50 PM   #3
SoCalTony

Drives: 2001 Jetta GLX 12v VR6

that would be nice, i know the GT-R has digital gauges in its onboard screen
SoCalTony is offline   United_States
      01-10-2008, 08:55 PM   #4
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General

Drives: Lola

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to ArmyBimmerDude Send a message via Yahoo to ArmyBimmerDude
Write the software and sell it
      01-10-2008, 09:53 PM   #5
AWD Addict
Chief Executive

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyBimmerDude View Post
Write the software and sell it
what kind of inputs are there into the nav screen? i could build a mini itx box that could run gauges if the nav screen had an aux in.

but there must be a bmw utility that exists, no? something that monitors the ecu readings? I can't believe I'm the first one to think of this.
      01-10-2008, 11:11 PM   #6
jpsimon
Team Zissou

Drives: 2015 STi

I've thought of it, I just don't have the technology or the steady hands to pull off a procedure like this.
(name the quote)

I love the GTR display setup. The fine folks who designed Gran Turismo designed this interface (which makes it even cooler):

jpsimon is offline   United_States
      01-10-2008, 11:27 PM   #7
AWD Addict
Chief Executive

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
The software side and hardware side aren't a problem. I need a way to tap into the screen. Is there an auxiliary in? I've found some relatively shady products that "plug n play" into the screen, but require quite a bit of labor....
      01-10-2008, 11:33 PM   #8
ets335
Private First Class

Drives: e90 335i

I know e.n335 started on a project a few months back, but stopped his testing. You should search for it. He said one of the problems was that our nav screen did not have good resolution so run his mini comp.
      01-10-2008, 11:34 PM   #9
timn
First Lieutenant

Drives: E92 335i

Send a message via AIM to timn
You need to use the nav2go unit. It will let you hook up any video source to the idrive.

Search the DIY forum for how to install this unit. Once you have that done, you would have to use something along the lines of a microcontroller hooked up to various sensors (boost, egt, etc) and then write those values to the idrive using the nav2go unit.
      01-11-2008, 12:53 AM   #10
gobo335i
Toy Wrangler

Drives: 135i - GoCart on Steroids

I so want something like this. Make it happen please!
      01-11-2008, 01:01 AM   #11
BoLaS
Captain

Drives: 335i

i hate u guys, ive been telling peeps to do this forever, now u have the balls to get it done....and i just ordered my boost gauge ....so now im gonna have to return it!

do the software/program, install it on an already equipped nav-2-go car, make it work, partner up with nav-2-go, sell those things like hot cakes with the new 'engine monitor mod', make millions, send me my free one, and call it a day

...i get 10% of profits
      01-11-2008, 01:15 AM   #12
Adam@Riss Racing
Banned

Drives: 2006 Interlagos Blue BMW M5

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to Adam@Riss Racing
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsimon View Post
I've thought of it, I just don't have the technology or the steady hands to pull off a procedure like this.
(name the quote)

I love the GTR display setup. The fine folks who designed Gran Turismo designed this interface (which makes it even cooler):

that gauge cluster is beautiful.
Adam@Riss Racing is offline   United_States
      01-11-2008, 01:32 AM   #13
bimmermans54
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 335

i know that dwn here, my friends at the dealer tap into something, with a Ipod type wire, and they play movies on their setup through their ipod. So, if they can tap in, to play movies, then anyone can tap in to put whatever they want on the screen.
---Also, I dont care who says what, I saw movies on the screen, its more than fine.
      01-11-2008, 05:32 AM   #14
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General

Drives: 4 Wheels

I wonder sometimes if people read these forums. I posted in the other gauge thread that someone should try this exact thing. I also suggested the HKS CAMP because it does work on a NAV screen and I asked why no one has tried using it yet.
      01-11-2008, 05:39 AM   #15
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General

Drives: Lola

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to ArmyBimmerDude Send a message via Yahoo to ArmyBimmerDude
Quote:
Originally Posted by Former_Boosted_IS View Post
I wonder sometimes if people read these forums. I posted in the other gauge thread that someone should try this exact thing. I also suggested the HKS CAMP because it does work on a NAV screen and I asked why no one has tried using it yet.
So that means that YOU can go ahead, lead the way, and give this HKS CAMP thing a shot! I'd love to have this on the I-Drive screen.
      01-11-2008, 05:49 AM   #16
deck
500whp or bust!

Drives: 2007 AW 335i coupe

Garage List
2007 e92 335i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to deck Send a message via MSN to deck Send a message via Yahoo to deck Send a message via Skype™ to deck
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmermans54 View Post
i know that dwn here, my friends at the dealer tap into something, with a Ipod type wire, and they play movies on their setup through their ipod. So, if they can tap in, to play movies, then anyone can tap in to put whatever they want on the screen.
---Also, I dont care who says what, I saw movies on the screen, its more than fine.

facts,pics,proof.

-deck
deck is offline   United_States
      01-11-2008, 05:54 AM   #17
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyBimmerDude View Post
So that means that YOU can go ahead, lead the way, and give this HKS CAMP thing a shot! I'd love to have this on the I-Drive screen.

Here is a link:

http://www.hksusa.com/categories/more.asp?id=1082

I just don't want to drop the money to do it yet. When I do more upgrades it will make more sense and there is no doubt this is the way I will go.
      01-11-2008, 06:46 AM   #18
judec
born to be turbocharged

Drives: Not a bimmer yet

Send a message via ICQ to judec Send a message via Skype™ to judec
this hks thingie could work but it needs separate sensors for everything + TVNav2Go to tap to the idrive screen. not cheap and not really elegant.
What I see as a nice solution is to tap into the bus and get all these data from the ECU. Now that's a problem, as BMW uses a new type of bus in the e9x and noone knows it, the protocols are not published yet. Also in case of a piggyback applied the data wouldnt be real.
a possibly workable and also more or less affordable solution would be the carPC's way. It would need an OBDII scanner which knows BMW specific data, connected to a CarPC with the correct SW installed. Then it only needs a (possibly) custom SW to display the data and to use idrive screen using TVNav2Go as a PC display...

judec is offline   Slovakia
      01-11-2008, 06:55 AM   #19
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General

Quote:
Originally Posted by judec View Post
this hks thingie could work but it needs separate sensors for everything + TVNav2Go to tap to the idrive screen. not cheap and not really elegant.
What I see as a nice solution is to tap into the bus and get all these data from the ECU. Now that's a problem, as BMW uses a new type of bus in the e9x and noone knows it, the protocols are not published yet. Also in case of a piggyback applied the data wouldnt be real.
a possibly workable and also more or less affordable solution would be the carPC's way. It would need an OBDII scanner which knows BMW specific data, connected to a CarPC with the correct SW installed. Then it only needs a (possibly) custom SW to display the data and to use idrive screen using TVNav2Go as a PC display...
I would think seperate sensors would be preferred? Fuel Pressure, EGT, and Boost would be my choice and only boost could probably be obtained from the ECU. On my last car, my APEXi gauges and pod were almost $900, so this is still in the same neighborhood.
      01-11-2008, 09:11 AM   #20
AWD Addict
Chief Executive

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Former_Boosted_IS View Post
I would think seperate sensors would be preferred? Fuel Pressure, EGT, and Boost would be my choice and only boost could probably be obtained from the ECU. On my last car, my APEXi gauges and pod were almost $900, so this is still in the same neighborhood.
If you're not running a piggyback, the OBDII port will give you all the parameters needed, including MAP (boost/vac), egt etc.

The most complicated part at this point is tapping the screen. These TVNav2go threads are shady to the nth degree.
      01-11-2008, 04:07 PM   #21
timn
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Addict View Post
If you're not running a piggyback, the OBDII port will give you all the parameters needed, including MAP (boost/vac), egt etc.

The most complicated part at this point is tapping the screen. These TVNav2go threads are shady to the nth degree.

Do you know if the OBD2 port has the resolution for real time gauges?
      01-11-2008, 04:12 PM   #22
timn
First Lieutenant

check this short video out

Looks pretty cool. I'd say that this solution is probably the easiest way to go. doesn't look too bad either.