E90Post

European Auto Source

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > FINALLY - 335i V2 Procede vs. E92 M3 videos

01-11-2008, 02:33 AM   #1
335i black/red
Private
United_States
Rep

Drives: Da Twin Turbo Coupe

FINALLY - 335i V2 Procede vs. E92 M3 videos

I installed the V2 Upgrade today and had 2 major findings that will probably be as important as the videos for quite a few proceders.
1st Finding
I had removed V1 kit 6 months ago because of getting too many limps and errors thinking it was coming from the one solenoid scenario and possible leaks, and I installed it back today with V2. As we were installing the V2 Spade in the old V1 power female spade (Red/Pink) we noticed that the wire that led to the female spade in the old V1 kit was loose inside the plastic cover. We removed the coating and it was barely touching so we welded it back on and made a new casing. So the power source that was on the old kit was twitching on and off with any shake of the car on a bump and according to my tuner here, this could very well be a source of the continuos limps and error. Masterpiece tuning but unperfected finish in the wiring and material. Maybe?

2nd finding
I myself had many problems like others loading the software, getting it online and loading the maps w my first kit, It seemed to work and not work haphazardly, regardless of how careful you are selecting the COM ports, or whether u were using a serial or USB on diff computers, It would not work for ages and then suddenly work. Well. We noticed b4 that sometimes when we touched the wiring leading to the serial port/jack coming out of the V1 procede kit it helped. So when I told my tuner here that, we checked that serial jack comin out of the procede, we opened it up and da-da two of the three wires were loose and not attached to the pins internally. We welded them on to the pins and closed up the jack, and the software, firmware and map uploaded INSTANTLY and the problem was solved. So again, nothing wrong w the tuning, its the quality of the mass producers' materials that weren't upto the quality. So again Maybe thats the cause.

I dunno if this info could be the case w others who have faced similar probs, but there was a pattern, being loose wires due to material quality issues, which could be mistaken easily for tuning issues. And for the record, I am neither defending Vishnu's tuning or attacking the product itself, I am just highlighting that the reason we could be failing to find solutions to re-occuring problems could be SIMPLY that we are looking at the wrong source of the probelm. I hope that could be of help.

My V2 install was successfull, and I am pleased with the primary results and that is why I took the car and raceeeeeeeeeedd my friends new E92 M3:

1st Video
Camera Car E92 M3 (Driver+1)
Black 6MT 335i V2-only (Driver) Traction Off

0 to 170 km/h (approx .110 mph)
We both mis-shifted on second gear in the 1st Run, then we do the second run

2nd Video
E92 M3 (Driver)
Camera Car 6MT 335i V2-only (Driver +1) "Traction ON"
0 to 150 km/h (approx .98 mph)

Forgot to turn the DTC off, but it doesn't matter I think its the weight.

These races are on 90% settings, 1st couple of hours after install, so I'm hoping that after full adaptation and maybe higher settings the performance would be even better. However it is noticeable that after a couple of runs the performance deteriorated due to the boost tapering down. i guess thats why one needs an IC.

Welldone on the tune guys very smooth!

Cheers
G
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 02:42 AM   #2
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: Mcoupe

Send a message via AIM to O-cha
Dude he BARELY missed that car.

Looked about even in the first video.
      01-11-2008, 02:46 AM   #3
e36jakeo
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2008 M3 6 Speed MT!

Wow, looked dead even on the first video. I'd guess the M3 would begin to walk a bit at higher speeds when its gearing gives it more of an advantage.

THat V8 sounds bitchin though!
      01-11-2008, 02:47 AM   #4
hsiaochinsan
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: 14' 911 C4S / 1999 E36 M3

Send a message via MSN to hsiaochinsan
Couple things make this race incomparable: 1. It was after only couple hours after the install of V2; 2. 90% setting; 3. the road condition was not very good as there was some traffic on the freeway.

Overall I think your 335 with v2 could have keep with the e92 m3 giving the right setting, road condition, and fully adapted ecu.
      01-11-2008, 02:50 AM   #5
335i black/red
Private
United_States
Rep

O-cha

I can totally c ur point because i've driven in the U.S. But thats everyday driving here, cars are close to each other, whether in a traffic light or at speed, u can pass a cop car like that and he wouldn't even notice u. Its hard to understand but its normal.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 02:51 AM   #6
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsiaochinsan View Post
Couple things make this race incomparable: 1. It was after only couple hours after the install of V2; 2. 90% setting; 3. the road condition was not very good as there was some traffic on the freeway.

Overall I think your 335 with v2 could have keep with the e92 m3 giving the right setting, road condition, and fully adapted ecu.
Oh come on don't be like that.
      01-11-2008, 02:55 AM   #7
335i black/red
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsiaochinsan View Post

I must say I hope so, but also M3 barely has 2000 miles on it and I heard they get powerful at the 5000 range...but I must admit it feels like the v1.4 but smoother so I guess there is more in there
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 02:56 AM   #8
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Or based on the recent thread if you had exhaust/intake/dp you would walk him pretty good.
      01-11-2008, 03:00 AM   #9
335i black/red
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e36jakeo View Post
Wow, looked dead even on the first video. I'd guess the M3 would begin to walk a bit at higher speeds when its gearing gives it more of an advantage.

THat V8 sounds bitchin though!
Its kind of wierd when we did a 1st gear pull onwards he would start catching up towards the end of 2nd gear but would probably be side by side by mid 3rd

When we did a 3rd gear pull, he started coming to my side at end of 3rd but the sec I shifted 4th I pulled away again and he started catching up towards the last half of 4th gear
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 03:03 AM   #10
335i black/red
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
Or based on the recent thread if you had exhaust/intake/dp you would walk him pretty good.
Was hopin it wld happen today based on that thread too....but still need more work, I hope the settings will do the job
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 03:03 AM   #11
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i black/red View Post
Its kind of wierd when we did a 1st gear pull onwards he would start catching up towards the end of 2nd gear but would probably be side by side by mid 3rd

When we did a 3rd gear pull, he started coming to my side at end of 3rd but the sec I shifted 4th I pulled away again and he started catching up towards the last half of 4th gear
That just means you're pretty evenly matched. When you shift you lower your acceleration obviously and he will start pulling till he needs to shift. If you started pulling on him while he was in the same gear after you shifted then you probably shifted at too high an RPM. 3rd to 4th you should be short shifting a little bit.
      01-11-2008, 03:06 AM   #12
edgarj
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 335i e92, PROcede, Eisen-fake

Quote:
I must say I hope so, but also M3 barely has 2000 miles on it and I heard they get powerful at the 5000 range...but I must admit it feels like the v1.4 but smoother so I guess there is more in there
Maybe the new M engine is different, but I didn't see any detectable performance increase between 2K and 5K miles on my S54. My 1/4 mile times were virtually identical just after the 1200 oil change/break-in and my next run @33K miles, but that's just my experience. Have you seen dyno's to support that claim?

+1 for short shifting after 2nd.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 03:07 AM   #13
335i black/red
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
That just means you're pretty evenly matched. When you shift you lower your acceleration obviously and he will start pulling till he needs to shift. If you started pulling on him while he was in the same gear after you shifted then you probably shifted at too high an RPM. 3rd to 4th you should be short shifting a little bit.
6000 or 6500?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 03:07 AM   #14
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Real question though, they are already running over 100hp a litre. Are there really going to be any gains on the M3 from new headers exhaust ETC? Seems like its pretty maxed out already, not many N/A cars run over 100hp litre with mods.

Quote:
6000 or 6500?
6500 maybe little more maybe a little less.
      01-11-2008, 03:14 AM   #15
335i black/red
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgarj View Post
Maybe the new M engine is different, but I didn't see any detectable performance increase between 2K and 5K miles on my S54. My 1/4 mile times were virtually identical just after the 1200 oil change/break-in and my next run @33K miles, but that's just my experience. Have you seen dyno's to support that claim?

+1 for short shifting after 2nd.
No I haven't seen dyno's, but its one of those well established rumours type of things and it is an M-specific rumour, only one of the ex - M owners on this forum can chime in on that one, my experience is as good as u'rs.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 03:26 AM   #16
Jonmartin
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: E90 M3

Send a message via AIM to Jonmartin
hey 335 black do you have the CDV delete mod? I think it will help your problem with mis shifting and makes a world of a difference overall do it ASAP if you haven't.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 07:43 AM   #17
Clem
Major
Rep

Drives: 2010 E90 M3 AW/FR ESS VT2

Send a message via AIM to Clem
You guys need to try a roll on race from 2nd gear to take wheelspin and traction control intervention out of the equation. Also, find a safer place to race!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 08:41 AM   #18
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Drives: Green Bastard

So the King (M3) remains King? What a gorgeous car (the M3, of course), the more I see it the more I like it.
      01-11-2008, 08:47 AM   #19
roadkillrob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2008 335Cic, 2011 X5 35i

Thanks for posting - I have been waiting for months for those guys over at the m5board to post up their video, but they post everything else and you have to buy the DVD it seems to see it, so thanks for the taste!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 09:12 AM   #20
BMW_TT
Colonel
Rep

Drives: E92 335i

Send a message via AIM to BMW_TT Send a message via MSN to BMW_TT Send a message via Yahoo to BMW_TT
Quote:

I think most of our power comes in the mid range, so when you get on top of your gear, your power tapers off while the rev happy m3 will continue to produce power.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 09:18 AM   #21
Checkman
Rep

Drives: 335i + Procede V2

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadyg View Post
So the King (M3) remains King? What a gorgeous car (the M3, of course), the more I see it the more I like it.
Indeed...M3 E92 is a gorgeous car. Whoever doubts this is a fool.

BUT remember that this 335's ECU has not yet adapted as well it has the default 90% setup which is the most conservative setting of V2.

I have reached up to 97% setup on my car (with proper 94-95 pump fuel & 14 to 14.5 max boost as per Shiv's instructions).
The difference between 90% and 97% on the road is 2.5CL to 3CL (if not more). This outcome is proven as it came out of repeated tests on the road with other 335i.

Given to the videos you posted above ,once you set up V2 to 95% (using proper fuel of course) I estimate that you would be at least 2CL in front of the M3.

Anyway , your car is a nean machine as it is now. M3 will always be an M3. Its a honnor we can go side by side with such a car ,anyways.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 09:27 AM   #22
hotrod182
Rep

Drives: 07 335i, 06 M3

If its anything like my 06 M3, the 08 should be quicker at 6000miles+. They are really tight when they are that new. Run your 335i in the 1/4 mile, and let us know what the numbers are. Even if you have to borrow someone's Gtech. Lets get some kind of relative instrumented data. I really want to know how these contests go. In just a few months I will either be getting another 335i, or the new M3.
Appreciate 0