E90Post
 


GTB Performance
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > The Official Cheap E90/E92 MOD DIYs



Comment
 
Tutorial Tools Search this Tutorial
The Official Cheap E90/E92 MOD DIYs
Published by datbimmer
04-17-2014
The Official Cheap E90/E92 MOD DIYs

Please use this thread to post cheap ( ~100$ and less ) DIY for mods you have done. I will be posting one over the week-end probably.

Please provide a detailed DIY preferrably with pictures and links to parts needed.

Thank you
Tutorial Tools
  #1  
By mo2566 on 04-17-2014, 12:58 PM
Sub'd, I keep finding great stuff in searching but this could be a great one stop shop for random projects on rainy days.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
By datbimmer on 04-17-2014, 03:57 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo2566 View Post
Sub'd, I keep finding great stuff in searching but this could be a great one stop shop for random projects on rainy days.
That is exactly the reason why I started this thread. I saw something like this on other forums and it is amazing. Cheap mods are always nice to keep yourself busy and happy with your car.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
By StuartTX on 04-17-2014, 04:10 PM
I think vinyl wrapping the "wood" interior trim pieces is my favorite so far. I know there are a million threads already on the subject. My only tip is, if you choose to use a vinyl with a brushed finish, make sure they cut your piece of vinyl the long way instead of the short way. I realized too late that with the piece they sent me (some ebay seller) I can only wrap the long pieces with the brush marks vertical. I think it would look better horizontal.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
By dman77 on 04-18-2014, 12:24 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
I replaced my 6MT shit knob with the ZHP Shift Knob.... Huge sub- $100 improvement. Just pull off the old one and push on the new one...No tools required

Reply With Quote
  #5  
By Taruno on 04-18-2014, 02:03 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartTX View Post
I think vinyl wrapping the "wood" interior trim pieces is my favorite so far. I know there are a million threads already on the subject. My only tip is, if you choose to use a vinyl with a brushed finish, make sure they cut your piece of vinyl the long way instead of the short way. I realized too late that with the piece they sent me (some ebay seller) I can only wrap the long pieces with the brush marks vertical. I think it would look better horizontal.
You say "wood" but you know it is actual wood not cheap plastic like american cars and japs
Reply With Quote
  #6  
By WapArtist on 04-20-2014, 12:19 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taruno View Post
You say "wood" but you know it is actual wood not cheap plastic like american cars and japs

+1, if fake I would cover up immediately but it is kind of nice and I normally hate wood in any car post 1975.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
By tHe TeE wHy on 04-21-2014, 11:15 AM
Sub'd.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
By datbimmer on 04-21-2014, 11:49 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
So the wood in all e90/e92 is real wood ?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
By WapArtist on 04-21-2014, 12:30 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by datbimmer View Post
So the wood in all e90/e92 is real wood ?
It is probably veneered but it is real as far as I have always heard.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
By nick380 on 04-21-2014, 05:22 PM
Subscribed, this is definitely a thread i'll be venturing into and maybe adding in my own DIY's if I do any haha
Reply With Quote
  #11  
By datbimmer on 04-22-2014, 11:51 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
I recommend the Torque Pro application. I bought it for about 4$, bought this : http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-OBD2-EL...item5af4d4d95c

Easy and Cheap way to read codes and delete them. There's also a lot of cool stuff to do with the Torque Pro application for Android.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
By bernard54321 on 04-25-2014, 09:58 PM
Under 100$.... i can fill my tank and drive about 200-280 miles... by far the best thing you can do for your car. P.s. i always fill chevron but mobile is pretty good too.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
By tmarts on 05-12-2014, 08:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman77
I replaced my 6MT shit knob with the ZHP Shift Knob.... Huge sub- $100 improvement. Just pull off the old one and push on the new one...No tools required

thanks for the quick and sporty upgrade!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
By datbimmer on 05-13-2014, 10:27 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
I didn't have the time to do my mod yet but did buy what I need for it. I will post it soon.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
By Amini9 on 05-13-2014, 01:17 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by datbimmer View Post
I recommend the Torque Pro application. I bought it for about 4$, bought this : http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-OBD2-EL...item5af4d4d95c

Easy and Cheap way to read codes and delete them. There's also a lot of cool stuff to do with the Torque Pro application for Android.
anyone know of the iphone app that will also read/delete codes?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
By wildcatcrazy on 06-07-2014, 12:18 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Exterior mods...

Here's what I've done to mine so far < $100...
Euro side mirror glass: $100
Walnut blasting gun/material: $90
Painted side/fender reflectors: $75
Tinted side markers (fender turn signal): $50
LED angel eyes: $50
Converted all interior lights to LEDs: $50
K&N filter: $50
K+DCAN cable for coding: $35
Plasti dipped kidney grills: $15

Here are a few that are > $100...
BMW Pedals: $150
Changed cluster LEDs from amber to white: $150
Active Autowerk Charge Pipe: $300

Future plans...
CF wrap interior and mirror caps: $150
Wheel Spacers: $180
Reply With Quote
  #17  
By WapArtist on 06-07-2014, 09:13 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatcrazy View Post
Here's what I've done to mine so far < $100...
Euro side mirror glass: $100
Walnut blasting gun/material: $90
Painted side/fender reflectors: $75
Tinted side markers (fender turn signal): $50
LED angel eyes: $50
Converted all interior lights to LEDs: $50
K&N filter: $50
K+DCAN cable for coding: $35
Plasti dipped kidney grills: $15

Here are a few that are > $100...
BMW Pedals: $150
Changed cluster LEDs from amber to white: $150
Active Autowerk Charge Pipe: $300

Future plans...
CF wrap interior and mirror caps: $150
Wheel Spacers: $180
We have done many of the same!

What do you mean by walnut blasting? That makes me think of what we did on DI Turbo MINI's for carbon buildup. Just curious.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
By wildcatcrazy on 06-07-2014, 10:27 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by WapArtist
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatcrazy View Post
Here's what I've done to mine so far &lt; $100...
Euro side mirror glass: $100
Walnut blasting gun/material: $90
Painted side/fender reflectors: $75
Tinted side markers (fender turn signal): $50
LED angel eyes: $50
Converted all interior lights to LEDs: $50
K&N filter: $50
K+DCAN cable for coding: $35
Plasti dipped kidney grills: $15

Here are a few that are > $100...
BMW Pedals: $150
Changed cluster LEDs from amber to white: $150
Active Autowerk Charge Pipe: $300

Future plans...
CF wrap interior and mirror caps: $150
Wheel Spacers: $180
We have done many of the same!

What do you mean by walnut blasting? That makes me think of what we did on DI Turbo MINI's for carbon buildup. Just curious.
You're exactly right. Carbon build up on these N54s are out of control. Depending on driver's road habits, you could be looking to do the blast every 30-40k.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
By datbimmer on 06-07-2014, 10:44 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatcrazy View Post
Here's what I've done to mine so far < $100...
Euro side mirror glass: $100
Walnut blasting gun/material: $90
Painted side/fender reflectors: $75
Tinted side markers (fender turn signal): $50
LED angel eyes: $50
Converted all interior lights to LEDs: $50
K&N filter: $50
K+DCAN cable for coding: $35
Plasti dipped kidney grills: $15

Here are a few that are > $100...
BMW Pedals: $150
Changed cluster LEDs from amber to white: $150
Active Autowerk Charge Pipe: $300

Future plans...
CF wrap interior and mirror caps: $150
Wheel Spacers: $180
WHy 150 ? Did you pay someone to do it for you ? I really want to do this but I'm afraid I will break the darn thing.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
By datbimmer on 06-07-2014, 10:48 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
I think this should be listed here :

Modify your jack stands to sit inside BMW jacking points.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=727131
Reply With Quote
  #21  
By wildcatcrazy on 06-07-2014, 02:45 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by datbimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatcrazy View Post
Here's what I've done to mine so far &lt; $100...
Euro side mirror glass: $100
Walnut blasting gun/material: $90
Painted side/fender reflectors: $75
Tinted side markers (fender turn signal): $50
LED angel eyes: $50
Converted all interior lights to LEDs: $50
K&N filter: $50
K+DCAN cable for coding: $35
Plasti dipped kidney grills: $15

Here are a few that are > $100...
BMW Pedals: $150
Changed cluster LEDs from amber to white: $150
Active Autowerk Charge Pipe: $300

Future plans...
CF wrap interior and mirror caps: $150
Wheel Spacers: $180
WHy 150 ? Did you pay someone to do it for you ? I really want to do this but I'm afraid I will break the darn thing.
Yes, I paid someone to do the led conv. You can pick up the LEDs for cheap, but the trick is that you can't just use any ole' soldering gun. Has to be a really fine tip, and extra caution not to burn the board.
Reply With Quote
Comment

Bookmarks

Tutorial Tools Search this Tutorial
Search this Tutorial:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:59 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST