E90Post

TireRack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Prospective 325xi buyer questions

01-16-2006, 03:24 PM   #23
3s-a-charm
Major
Canada
Rep

Drives: 13 E70 X5 3.5i M-Sport

Garage List
2007 BMW X5  [0.00]
Just to clarify... the alarm option adds a "siren" that goes off in the event of "shock" to the vehicle when parked and alarmed. In addition, it features a level detector so that if someone tried to pull it onto a flatbed it would detect the change in level (or tilt). The alarm also features the blinking clown nose.

Without the alarm option, the BMW anti-theft has standard features that prevent hot-wiring with ignition kill and similar.

Just to clarify... you still get the audible "chirp" when locking/unlocking your car without the optional alarm.

u2jrmw, the runflat all seasons should last as long as any regular tire would under normal driving conditions.

iPod is a "noPod" yet on the 3-series - unless you use the integrated aux-in jack in the glove box. There have been some "creative" solutions to this but nothing solid yet. I expect that iPod and BMW are working on a compatability for the "glove box" solution. I can live with the Aux-In for now...

You may have less bargaining power with the fact that the car is so new and there aren't many sitting on the lots that they want to get rid of. I think you may find that the BMW would have a higher resale price down the road. In my area, the Audi's are about the same price to start but 3-4 years later they all seem to be at least 5K less on re-sale. I love the Audi's as well... but I think the new BMW engines are too impressive to pass up.

There was a good thread on here once about the tire insurance. If you drive over nails or pot-holes a lot with your current vehicle, maybe it is for you. I find insurance on things like this to be like an extended warrenty - I will take my chances, thank you! The obvious limitation to the tire warrenty is where do they draw the line on when they will replace your tire based on wear - is it 50%, 60%, 30%??? Seems too wishy-washy to me.

Good luck with your decision - keep in mind, there are worse decisions to have to make in life
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2006, 08:29 PM   #24
DerekS
Captain
Canada
Rep

Drives: 335i M Sport GS

Garage List
One additional feature of the E90 factory alarm system is the ability to disarm the interior ultrasonic but still maintain the perimeter alarm. This feature is beneficial if you leave a dog inside the car or park it on a vibrating ferry boat. So with a double click to arm, only the perimeter is armed.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2006, 12:15 PM   #25
u2jrmw
Enlisted Member
Rep

Drives: Audi A4 1.8T Quattro

I just thought I'd follow up with where I am on my purchasing decision.

Of all the cars I have driven (A4 2.0T Q, C280 4MATIC, G35x, IS250AWD, 325xi) the BMW was probably the best to drive. However I have decided not to go with the BMW based mainly on the overall opinion people (online and real world) seem to have of BMW dealers and BMWNA. There were additional issues that tipped me over the edge regarding the reliability/life of the runflats and the fact that an audible alarm is an additional factory installed option...

I am a little dissapointed but I really don't want to deal with arguing with dealers and BMWNA as part of my ownership experience.

Thanks for all the help people have given me in my decision.
Appreciate 0