E90Post

TireRack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Exhaust drone

01-12-2008, 09:47 PM   #1
sejoon85
Captain

Drives: AW e92 m3

Send a message via MSN to sejoon85
Exhaust drone

For all the experts out there, what is DRONE? After installing an aftermarket exhaust, does drone refer to the Buzzing noise?

I just installed an exhaust, and I do have a buzzing noise coming somewhere below the rear seats, and it happens right around 1.5 rpm to 1.8 ish. Im just wondering if this is what people call DRONE or if its just something that touching the pipes when they vibrate.

Thanks in advance
sejoon85 is offline   Canada
      01-12-2008, 09:53 PM   #2
sambonator
Samtaro!

Drives: a car

A Drone is a humanoid that has been assimilated by the Borg.

Hahaha J/K it refers to a lower frequency sound that gets amplified by the exhaust system's various frequencies phase matching.
      01-12-2008, 10:23 PM   #3
BoostedBMW

Drives: TiAg E92 335

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to BoostedBMW
Sounds like what you have is something rattling from your description, which can be caused by drone sometimes.

Drone is just a constant loud, obnoxious HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM when you are just cruising. Its pretty easy to tell if an exhaust drones or not. Its the same constant low bass tone that is relentless when you are cruising.

l 19" Rial Daytona Race l KW V2 l Eisenhaus Race Exhaust l
BoostedBMW is offline   United_States
      01-12-2008, 10:34 PM   #4
roy@gambitmotorsport
Something Else

Drives: '07 335i coupe 6MT

Like everyone said above.

However, a buzz could also be a natural consequence of a certain exhaust design.

If you're wondering if this is just how this exhaust is or if there is some shielding mounting problem or something, my advice would be to sound sample it and trade with the manufacturer and others who own the same equipment to see.

Also, changing out some portions of the complete exhaust path could create buzzing (and droning) in parts that previously were near quiet.
roy@gambitmotorsport is offline   United_States
      01-12-2008, 11:06 PM   #5
sejoon85
Captain

When you say cruising, does that mean around 50km ~ 80km?

Cause I do have a low bass exhaust note around the speed limit speed, but it does not happen when I give it more gas.

Hmmm
      01-13-2008, 12:11 AM   #6
sambonator
Samtaro!

Drives: a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by sejoon85 View Post

Cause I do have a low bass exhaust note around the speed limit speed, but it does not happen when I give it more gas.

Hmmm
I think most droning occur between 2000 and 3000RPM's on 335i's under slight load. Usually goes away when you let off the gas or increase RPM's.
      01-13-2008, 12:35 AM   #7
BoLaS
Captain

Drives: 335i

Quote:

Hmmm
yea it may not be ur exhaust, check the rear passengers center tray (the black one located in between the rear seats) It tends to rattle like crazy from those exact RPMs... its a factory recall now though, so u can go to the dealer, explain the issue, and they will reline it in felt for free
      01-13-2008, 12:55 AM   #8
e92phreak
General

Drives: E92 335i TiAg/E46 323i TiAg

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [4.50]
2000 E46 323i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoLaS View Post
yea it may not be ur exhaust, check the rear passengers center tray (the black one located in between the rear seats) It tends to rattle like crazy from those exact RPMs... its a factory recall now though, so u can go to the dealer, explain the issue, and they will reline it in felt for free
BoLaS, the center tray rattle issue is a recall item?
07 E92 335i | TiAg | Step | Padl | Cmft | Alum Trm | PDC | Nav | Assist | Sat | Lthr | Prem | Sprt | Rear Splr | RDSport Quads | iPod | V1 | LT Refl | VS Clear Bra | OEM Lip | KWV2 | Mtec Sides | BBS LM-R
00 E46 323i | TiAg | 5sp | Sport | Roof | RDSport Cams | RDSport tune | RDSport Shift | Volk LE37 | M3 spoiler | PSS9 | SuperSprint | Brembo
e92phreak is offline   United_States
      01-13-2008, 01:54 AM   #9
BoLaS
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92phreak View Post
BoLaS, the center tray rattle issue is a recall item?
yep... thats what I heard apparently it was rattling even with the stock exhaust. Just take it to the dealer and they line it up with some black felt... noise gone
      01-13-2008, 02:21 AM   #10
sejoon85
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoLaS View Post
Just found out on my way home that centre tray was the reason behind the rattle noise that I had. And now thanks to you, I know that I can go back to the dealer and have that fixed. Thanks
      01-13-2008, 02:32 AM   #11
wj4
Major General

Drives: E90 manual 335i

Send a message via AIM to wj4
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedBMW View Post
Sounds like what you have is something rattling from your description, which can be caused by drone sometimes.

Drone is just a constant loud, obnoxious HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM when you are just cruising. Its pretty easy to tell if an exhaust drones or not. Its the same constant low bass tone that is relentless when you are cruising.
+1. It's what you get in an aftermarket exhaust for most Japanese cars, hehe.
wj4 is offline   United_States
      01-13-2008, 02:53 AM   #12
Gen_E92
Brigadier General

Drives: slow

Garage List
2007 335i  [3.90]
Quote:
Just found out on my way home that centre tray was the reason behind the rattle noise that I had. And now thanks to you, I know that I can go back to the dealer and have that fixed. Thanks
Let me know how it goes with the dealer, my exhaust sometimes makes the tray buzz too. But it happens only after I installed my exhaust, so I just want to know whether the dealer will still do it for you .
Gen_E92 is offline   Japan
      01-13-2008, 11:50 AM   #13
Sniz
Lieutenant General

Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

I keep that try open now to get away from the sound. I have stock exhaust w/ golf tee mod and will drone a bit at certain rpms.
      01-13-2008, 08:23 PM   #14
BoLaS
Captain

Quote:
thats great!!! Im glad I could help... yea that thing was rattling after my golf tee mod, imagine now after my exhaust!! Anyway its not an 'official' recall, but BMWNA is aware of it and when u take it the dealer they will fix it
      01-18-2008, 03:42 AM   #15
edgarj
Captain

Drives: 335i e92, PROcede, Eisen-fake

Drone is a resonance between the exhaust note at a set range (usually 2300-3000rpm range) and the chassis/cabin. The best analogy I've heard to explain it is the effect of blowing across the lip of a glass bottle, where at the right angle you get that deep vibration and heavy, resonating sound.

I have some serious drone issues with the full (sect 1-3) Eisenmann Race set-up. It's nasty loud at cold start-up (as if completely un-muffled), but the volume subsides as the engine warms up,. However, it still 'drones' in the above mentioned range. It's as if the entire car resonates the note of the exhaust, and it's quiet oppressive when carrying on a conversation at cruising rpm ranges. With my exhaust, the amazing note produced under high revs has outweighed the drone issue, but a droning exhaust is a serious detractor to the overall enjoyment of any exhaust.

Best advice: experience any exhaust that you consider 1st hand. Either by forum-member exhibit or local representative. The video/audio clips found on forums, either provided by customer or manufacturer, are utter worthless. Recording conditions can easily misrepresent the product by either accident or intention, so actual experience is the only valid reference.
edgarj is offline   United_States
      01-18-2008, 10:39 AM   #16
Fraggy
Brigadier General

Drives: 2007 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambonator View Post
it refers to a lower frequency sound that gets amplified by the exhaust system's various frequencies phase matching.
HUH? Ur smrt!