E90Post

GTB Performance

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > BMW Technician/Mechanic Recommends Adjusting Camber...

01-13-2008, 11:56 AM   #1
gundamfans
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2007 E90 335i

Garage List
2007 E90 335i  [0.00]
BMW Technician/Mechanic Recommends Adjusting Camber...

I got Eisenmann Sports Exhaust full cat-back system installed yesterday and the technician/mechanic was also doing an all round check on my car and since I have 19" BMW performance rims installed, he said that my car handled slightly weird (turn-in in corners is slightly numb), he suggested that I let him do some adjustments to the camber. He said in essence, the lower point of the suspension should be pointing to the middle of the tyre and now since I got 19" rims, the different offsets have had an undesirable effect. He also warned me that by adjusting the suspension camber (stock sports suspension that is), I need to be more careful with my driving i.e. no braking in corners or know where to keep the throttle around corners...

so my question is, should I get the camber of my stock sports suspension adjusted by this mechanic?
2007 E90 335i|6MT|Sapphire Black Metallic|Black Leather|Aluminum Trim|ZSP|ZPP|CWP|Aluminum Pedals|M-Aero Kit|Blackline Tailights|E46 ZHP Knob|Euro Foglight Switch|M-Sport Perforated Leather steering wheel|M-Sport Perforated E-Brake|Front Carbon Fibre Splitter Kit|BMW Performance 19" Wheels|Meisterschaft Touring Exhaust Full Cat-Back System

Last edited by gundamfans; 01-14-2008 at 11:16 AM.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2008, 01:31 PM   #2
Chowbow
pew pew
Rep

Drives: 三三五i

Garage List
You can't adjust camber on the front unless you install camber plates, but they are adjustable on the rears. The offset of wheels can change handling, but I don't know if adjusting camber is "the fix" like your mechanic is telling you. Personally I wouldn't, and I don't really care how other people think my car handles... I drive my car and have it setup the way I want it.
      01-14-2008, 01:34 PM   #3
gundamfans
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2007 E90 335i  [0.00]
thanks for the advice. Thing is I have no idea about all these technical stuff. I have to admit, I couldn't feel any significant handling changes after I put on 19". Maybe turn-in was slightly numb, but nothing that I would call something really wrong. He opened up the bonnet of another 335i (E92 though) and pointed out at the pins that he can used to adjust camber.

More opinions from everyone would be appreciated.
2007 E90 335i|6MT|Sapphire Black Metallic|Black Leather|Aluminum Trim|ZSP|ZPP|CWP|Aluminum Pedals|M-Aero Kit|Blackline Tailights|E46 ZHP Knob|Euro Foglight Switch|M-Sport Perforated Leather steering wheel|M-Sport Perforated E-Brake|Front Carbon Fibre Splitter Kit|BMW Performance 19" Wheels|Meisterschaft Touring Exhaust Full Cat-Back System
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2008, 02:13 PM   #4
Chowbow
pew pew
Rep

Drives: 三三五i

Garage List
If the wheels were the only thing you changed, then don't make any changes. I don't think that even with the wider track that there is any difference that you can really make with a camber change. I don't know what pins your mechanic is pointing at, but there is simply NO true camber adjustment on the E9x suspension, unless you specifically add aftermarket camber plates.
      01-17-2008, 12:56 AM   #5
roy@gambitmotorsport
Something Else
United_States
Rep

Drives: '07 335i coupe 6MT

Were the 19" BMW performance rims designed for your car? If so, I wouldn't worry about it much. If you mean some "non-descript" 19" rims that happened to have the same bolt pattern, without checking offset, well, maybe they're pushed out too far and adding camber would help "push the center back".

Either way, like folks have said above, there's not a whole lot of adjustment you can do without aftermarket parts...
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2008, 01:07 AM   #6
Getagrip
Get a grip. Get Xdrive.
United_States
Rep

Drives: 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
2003 330xi  [0.00]
I noticed the holes for the top of the front struts in bthe front strut tower are slotted and do allow for front camber adjustment, but not that much adjustment.
      01-18-2008, 02:16 AM   #7
Fraggy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2007 e90

I got a "performance" oriented alignment when I put on my PSS9s, I took ORBs recommendations. I didnt like it at all, but I suspect thats because I am not that great of a driver. The car felt too "touchy".

Id say unless you are a great driver, stick with BMWs alignment specs.
      01-18-2008, 05:46 PM   #8
gundamfans
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2007 E90 335i  [0.00]
yeah thought so. I'll be saying good bye to my car in 4 months so I'll leave it as it is. thanks everyone.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2008, 06:37 PM   #9
Orb
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraggy View Post
I got a "performance" oriented alignment when I put on my PSS9s, I took ORBs recommendations. I didnt like it at all, but I suspect thats because I am not that great of a driver. The car felt too "touchy".

Id say unless you are a great driver, stick with BMWs alignment specs.
Actually the alignment specs I mentioned are within BMW specifications?

If you dropped you ride height unevenly from stock it can make feel a lot different. I am thinking your coilovers setup changed you caster. You actually need a bit more camber in front as your camber profile is reduced when you lower but not much mind you.

Let me know if want to correct this as it should not be touchy unless you dropped the front more than 1/3” than the rear.

You might be a better driver than you think as most will not pick on details like this.

Orb

Last edited by Orb; 01-18-2008 at 11:35 PM.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2008, 11:44 PM   #10
Orb
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gundamfans View Post
yeah thought so. I'll be saying good bye to my car in 4 months so I'll leave it as it is. thanks everyone.
If you post a picture of your wheels we could determine your wheel offset. Wheel offset has major influence on the handling of the car but I suspect you have the correct ones. The pins on the top hats of the struts are removable and allow for additional camber and caster adjustments.

The default front camber adjustment is -0.1 to -0.9 degrees. Most cars form the factor are set at -0.2 to -0.3 degrees. Increasing the front camber to -0.5 degrees will make a modest difference when pushing the car at it limits.

Orb
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2008, 11:40 AM   #11
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Drives: EBII 2014 F31 328xi

Dam, I need a lesson on suspension.

Orb, when does class start?

Where did you get all the specs. from?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2008, 12:06 PM   #12
Fraggy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2007 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orb View Post
Actually the alignment specs I mentioned are within BMW specifications?

If you dropped you ride height unevenly from stock it can make feel a lot different. I am thinking your coilovers setup changed you caster. You actually need a bit more camber in front as your camber profile is reduced when you lower but not much mind you.

Let me know if want to correct this as it should not be touchy unless you dropped the front more than 1/3Ē than the rear.

You might be a better driver than you think as most will not pick on details like this.

Orb
Thanks man, Ive already had it re-aligned and the touchiness subsided Thanks for the input though, youre a bastion of knowledge
      01-19-2008, 12:14 PM   #13
KanosWRX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: E92 AW 335i / 1994 Miata R

Send a message via AIM to KanosWRX
You really only need to adjust your alignment when you change your suspension. I doubt changing wheels would make any noticeable difference, for one your tire diameter shrinks so overall wheel and tire diameter should be within 2%. Second I am pretty sure BMW takes into account 19" wheels when doing their testing as they sell 19" wheels as an option. I wouldn't worry about it. And if turn in is numb, sounds more like toe in or out could be wrong, not camber.
      01-19-2008, 01:56 PM   #14
Orb
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyg View Post
Dam, I need a lesson on suspension.

Orb, when does class start?

Where did you get all the specs. from?
The specifications for E9x alignment were easy to get as I just asked the dealer for them.

If you interested in a bit more detail then check this link out. It is a six part series but well written in layman terms with cause and effect.

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/te...t_1/index.html

The e92 is not that hard to setup in terms of suspension parameters. The caster is somewhat limited so you stuck using what they can get unless you get camber plates. I would stick with the default nominal toe-in setting as they are right on the money. You only want enough toe-in to really keep the car stable in straight line. This car wonders a fair amount with lack of toe-in and you donít want to over do it to much toe-in either. If you have an LSD or added more power then you might want to up the rear toe-in a 0.02 to 0.03 degrees. The front camber settings are fairly subjective. I set my front camber to -0.9 degrees since I have a tendency to wear out the outer edge of my tire so it work for me and make the car great around corners. However, even though my camber is a small change and within specification it can have a tendency to tramline with certain tires or road conditions. It bit of trade of but enough negative camber is not good thing to have.

Orb
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2008, 10:39 AM   #15
gundamfans
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2007 E90 335i  [0.00]
I'm running E90 stock sports suspension. Orb, what do you think I should do? I don't have a jack at my apartment, so it's hard for me to point to you with pics regarding camber...
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2008, 11:45 PM   #16
Orb
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I'm running E90 stock sports suspension. Orb, what do you think I should do? I don't have a jack at my apartment, so it's hard for me to point to you with pics regarding camber...
Wheel it would help if we knew what wheels you have first...picture or something.

I not sure what the jack is for?

The mechanic was talking about king pin inclination offset or scrub radius but it only going to be important if you changed your wheel offset.

Orb

Last edited by Orb; 01-30-2008 at 01:01 AM.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2008, 12:00 AM   #17
LACA335i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: E92 335i coupe Black AUTO

Garage List
2007 335I SEDAN  [0.00]
Quote:
I got Eisenmann Sports Exhaust full cat-back system installed yesterday and the technician/mechanic was also doing an all round check on my car and since I have 19" BMW performance rims installed, he said that my car handled slightly weird (turn-in in corners is slightly numb), he suggested that I let him do some adjustments to the camber. He said in essence, the lower point of the suspension should be pointing to the middle of the tyre and now since I got 19" rims, the different offsets have had an undesirable effect. He also warned me that by adjusting the suspension camber (stock sports suspension that is), I need to be more careful with my driving i.e. no braking in corners or know where to keep the throttle around corners...

so my question is, should I get the camber of my stock sports suspension adjusted by this mechanic?

can you say Cross or up sale your customer...... If you have 19 rims, you need to update the Size of the rim on your ecu. and plus it is wise to have an aligment on your car.